Windows XP Spell Hotbar Broken

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by FurryMIG, Aug 25, 2012.

1. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Member

my DoD game is located in : F:\Program Files\STEAM\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor
    And the non-steam .zip mods are located in F:\Program Files\STEAM\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\mods
    They do not have any effect in that folder, even when I rename it to a .dat.

I have an entire hard drive devoted to STEAM.

I tried reverse-engineering the nonsteam mod into the folder where STEAM mods are stored, but it did not work, anything that is not a subscribed STEAM mod is deleted when launcheing the program. I couldn't even fool it by renaming the nonsteam mod into a name used by the workshop.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Damnit. I will repeat what I said before, but note that this was all said in this post:
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/spell-hotbar-broken.4827/page-2#post-59474

Your mods *DO NOT* go in the game directory. They go in your "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods\" directory. (Replace "Name" with your username. You can browse to the location if you do not remember what the exact spelling is.)

Do not try putting mods in your game directory. They do not work there. The mods directory there is used for different things.

3. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

You got the wrong directory, buddy. Omni's right. But you're on Windows XP. Fortunately, so am I.

C:\Documents and Settings\Username.PCNAME\My Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods

That's the directory.

Workshop mods seem to go here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username.PCNAME\My Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\steam_workshop\subscribed

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  4. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Member

See, this is why my avatar has no eyes.

The whole time I didn't see how the spell worked after the update.

And then I didn't see I was working in the wrong directory.

I'm surprised I'm allowed to deliver pizza when things like this happen x.x

And so, with my pride as a nerd and self-confidence shattered by my own STUPID actions (or lack therefore of), I'm off to drive a car to deliver pizza.

OmniaNigrum and Nikolai like this.
  5. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I don't know which update are you talking about.

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The one which changed Lucky Pick to a passive skill (aka. the last big update).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Even before that the /mods was in Documents, I can recall it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes, it was. But he did not write "I didn't notice the mod directory changed" but rather "I didn't see I was working in the wrong directory", which indicates that he didn't try to install any mods manually before.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Oh pshaw. Who doesn't love an airhead around now and then? I think they're cute.

It's not like you need to be worried about people disrespecting you for a spot of derp. We just want to help. I mean, I dunno about Omni, he can get vicious at time... but the rest of us are on your side.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah, I can be a real dick at times. I must forgive anyone who attempts to rectify their previous errors. I know you intended no harm. And I will not crucify you for it today. How is tomorrow for you? I am just glad you now know how to do it. (Presumably.)

Do let us know if you run into any more trouble. I hope we can get you in position to give others a hard time for trivial mistakes one day like I did. :) :rolleyes:

Exile and Vitellozzo like this.
  11. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Member

Well, now it works like a charm! Except when I try to load my game, the program insta-closes. If that counts as crashing, then attempting to load my game causes the game to crash. For once I'm sure it's not user-error, I'm very sure I'm not simply clicking the "x" button in the corner.

12. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

This is standard behavior when trying to load a savegame with or without the same mods you used with the save.

This also occurs if you use the same mods, but have a different version. So much as a little change will cause this.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Member

So... is there a solution?

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

New Game.

Nikolai and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It is the price we pay for having the newest mods. That is why the saves in he last few versions included a copy of the mods loaded, and did not update that particular mod even if it was updated for the game.

Exile likes this.
  16. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Member

So after finding out my game is not broken, wrestling with the mods, and getting everything running properly... I'm still screwed because I can't save my game anymore >.< "loading" does not work at all and just terminates the program.

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You can't "save" an entirely new game, or is it just that trying to load the old save corrupts it?

18. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Try start a new character, 'cause if you modify game files (also mod files) while you have a save game with a prior kind of code, it doesn't work anymore.
    In those two days I've deleted like 10 characters, 'cause I'm testing changes in game DBs and save games inevitably are corrupted in consequence.

19. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Member

Disabling the STEAM mod made the save system work. for now.

20. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Sounds like the mod itself is broken and causes crashes. This can often happen if the mod calls for an asset that doesn't exist, like an art file. I believe this also happens if code is broken.

The author needs to run an XML validator and make sure his code is tidy.