Funny Pictures. Safe For Work, and Safe For The Kids Too.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It is sad that all my friends do get math jokes...

Universities are a horrible place, I tell you.

And the other one is reading their documents. Apparently most of their customers can neither read nor do basic maths, which is sad.

Anyway, not to make my post into a complete off-the-topic thing once again, here is a picture (or animation, whatever):
    [​IMG]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Member

Not entirely true. Universities would be awesome places if it weren't for the students (read: OVERGROWN CHILDREN) that populate them.

I've met some wonderful people in college. But I've met far, far more people who are nothing more than high school students with no parental supervision and too much money.

On-topic: some Success Kid. Always a classic.
    [​IMG]

Turbo164, Hybelkanin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Oh, I know. It was meant to be something akin to a sarcastic "warning" more than a complaint (yeah, there tend to be problems with recognising sarcasm if you can't actually hear the one posting the message). For as long as you meet people who actually have brains (which is more likely if you choose a good university, and happened in my case as I met some really interesting people, both on the faculty and among fellow students).

There were a few "overgrown children" here, too, but most of them were shown the doors after the first semester and the remaining ones after the second one (a technical university, so you couldn't just skid along without learning anything), and the guys who remained were capable of thinking, even if some of them lacked some in the sanity department (not that I can complain about that one). Of course, even the ones who were mentally mature enough to be students weren't exactly normal (the most commonly played card game for students of my year was the Pokemon card game; yes, really), but in general they were at least the kind of people you weren't ashamed to know.

And the professors? Oh boy, here we go. There was the lady with whom we were having practical courses in basic algorithms, with her notes being written using Cyrillic; the guy with whom we had basic theory relating to hardware and computer builds in general who loved talking about the days when Amiga and Commodore computers were prevalent and about modifying them; the guy who supervised my digital electronics labs who really helped me and my friend with theory concerning some funkier stuff we started working on later; and many others as well. It really is evident when the professors are in it because they love their subject and want others to learn to love it too, because they really make you want to do something just to have the same kind of fun they had with it.

And this is why most of my socks are identical (and the ones that aren't are distinct enough to recognize them instantly) - that way I don't even have to exert effort to find two matching socks because they are all a match.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think the first one is a more of a keylogger, Turbo164.

DavidB1111, Turbo164 and OmniaNigrum like this.
  6. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Member

The good ones make the bad ones worth it, and the bad ones are sometimes amusing enough to forgive the poor quality of teaching. I went to college for a BS in Mathematics, and in the math department alone we had quite a few categories beyond good and bad:
    • Bad professors who are only there because the Dean told them he'd cut their grants if they didn't teach a class or two. Took linear algebra from one of these. She had the class actually do some of the grunt-work for her own research paper.
    • Brilliant professors who, through no fault of their own, were born in different countries and their grasp of English is marginal at best. My statistical methods professor was a brilliant mathematician, to the point of being scary Good Will Hunting brilliant, but she couldn't teach for crap because NO ONE COULD UNDERSTAND HER. Try learning a concept like heteroscedasticity from someone who speaks almost no English whatsoever.
    • Dumb-As-Toast professors who will write down important formulae and forget little details (like, say, plus or minus signs) that result in their notes and lectures being even less reliable than the text. And if you've ever proofread a math text for errors, you know that's pretty bad.
    • Friendly professors who are great teachers, love their students, and have no problem giving extra help or explaining things to you. They're so friendly, in fact, that if someone asks a question about anything off-topic they can be derailed into giving a half-hour lecture on the physics of how to estimate the angles of incidence and reflection on a pool table dependent on how many beers you've had. (True story. Seriously. More than half a lecture gone because someone mentioned playing pool at a bar.)
    • Enthusiastic, well-adjusted, focused, career-driven professors who transfer to better Universities halfway through your semester with them.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I had such a guy as my physics (and then optics, four semesters later) professor. But he still managed to get some things done because his lectures were really interesting and we learned to ask questions later after three lectures of his.

It's the point where it pays off that the university is pretty much the one professors want to transfer to.

But alas, I'm starting to derail the thread once again, so here is another picture:
    [​IMG]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

9. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Bravo! Very much work to manage that, but I enjoyed the show. :)

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

The girl with the Hallowe'en decorations behind her? Bet $10 that it's the actual real April Ryan.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I hate them very much. Thanks for that, though; I'll just try to get another link to it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The sad thing here is that it wouldn't happen if there actually was any indication that it wouldn't work. But no, when I get to the picture, for the next 20 or so minutes it shows it instead of the stupid "linking not allowed" replacement icon.

Either way, it's this (I'll just delete the link from the first post because it's pointless to keep it there now):

[​IMG]

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Who is that?
    And haha, that picture set was funny. Especially the guy who turned into a girl. :p
    I'm glad I don't wear glasses. I don't want to grow really long hair when I take them off. Also, I don't want to lose testosterone by turning into a woman. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I wear glasses when using the computer; maybe that explains why Omni had a gender recognition problem when dealing with me.

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Never played The Longest Journey?

And that joke is ollllldddddddddd Haldurson :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I don't know what The Longest Journey is, other than a game, because you asked if I played it. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

... You poor, poor thing.