Double my Tomes, double my fun?

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by Zombie Dachshund, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Yeah, dual-wielding Cloud Formations is ridiculous. The damage is piddly, but your enemies will be confused 75% of the time and you can just blast them with magic from range.

2. Dynamod

Dynamod Member

I always thought tomes were meant for an unarmed combatant, considering they add damage but aren't considered a weapon.

wielding a shield and tome always made me think of the Taekwon_Master class from Ragnarok Online. Uses books to empower kick attacks.

3. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

BOO

TAEKWON, NINJAS AND GUNSLINGERS ARE A LAME AFTERTHOUGHT

THEY'RE BASICALLY AN XBOX HUEG MARY-SUE

THEY DON'T EVEN RESTEPC PREVIOUS JOB STANDARDS

THANKS TO FAXCELESTIS FOR THE EMPOWERING TIP, YOU ROCK

4. Lucentdepths

Lucentdepths Member

That made my eyes hurt.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

For future reference, please avoid caps lock. You make me again wish there was an "Unlike" button... And that is just not as nice as I want to be.

But since you wanted to do this to us...

Ț̡͉͍̯͔͉̤̺̼͒̂͊̾̄ͫ̋͟͜͢û̧̳̭̠̘̺̬̭̓̍̋̍ͭͤ͌͐̕͜r̸̡̳̠̗̝̙̪̝̝̾̃ͨͭ͛̾͛̈́͌̐̇ń̸̞͚͙̝͖̼̬̗̳͒͆̓̈́̈̍ͫͤͮ̌̈͊͌̄ͩͣͥ̀͠a̴̛̖̹̠̪͕̣̫͉̱̖̥̹͎̓̐͋ͧ̊̿͒̾̈́̆̍ͣ͐͛͆ͫ̽̍͠ͅb̴̷̜̖͈̣̤̻̳̝̦̼͔͎͔̙̖ͬ̈̍ͥ̇̃͒̐̀͞o̰̦̱̗̼͙̰͖͙̗ͬ̇̎̐́ͮ̓ͩ͐ͩ̋̒̉͐͊̈̈͘͟͜͝uͤ̅̂͐͋͏̙̬̭̹͔͖͟t̘̗̠͖̯̗̘̔̃̐̌̂̋̄ͨ̓ͨ̇͟͜͢ ̸͎̳̦͙̘͉̳͍̻̺̹͎̪͉̦̰͈̯ͦ̂̒ͫ͆̔̃̇ͣ̽̃̓̅̃ͩ̚̚͢͞į̷̶̶̲͉̤̲̻͎ͬͫͧ͂͡s̶̢̛͈̫̠̼͚̱̹̳̼̝͈͉̏̐̃ͪ̋̍̊ͭ̽̂̉ͫͧ̚̚̕͡ ̙̤͖̮͊͗̾̀̆͛ͯ́f̶̩̞̝͔͓̘̰͉͎̼͕̻̞̳͍̱̿ͧ̈́̋̀̕ͅͅą̶̸̲̙̻̬̙̗̟̪͚̱̯̯̫̙̘̬͎̹̑̐̓̉ͨ̈́̌̕i̶͈̞̮͇̗͌̍́̃̍ͩ̀͛͐̊͛͊ͣ͒̑ṙ̷̜̙̰̘̲̐̑ͧ͝ ̸̈͋ͦ̄͐ͬͥ͟͏̘̘̱͖p̨̛̯̥̬͍̥̼͔̠̣ͬͮ̏͛̓͐ͩͧ̎̀ͭ̉̒͗ͪ͘ͅl͊ͧͣͩ̇͛̀͠͏̱̖̮͈̯͙̱̟͈͕̪̪̰̳̭͉a̢̹̣̣͚̤͖̲͇̫̭ͣͬ̌̃ͧ͂͢͞yͮ̂ͥ͌͑͛ͩ̍̃̉͏̴̸̝͔̘̟͇̩̬̩̦̲̬́ͅ!̵̸̨̞̠̼̞̙͇͙̲͇̮̿ͯͥ̓̉ͬ̐̑͛̇̃̚͢ ̸̷̩͓̦̺͓̘̰̰̹̤̾̂̔͆̿͂ͯ̋̀͢͟Y͌͌̇̓̀͏̷̛̭͓̹̗͙̳͇͔̘̣̜̮̩̜̯͝o̽̏͒́̍̒̇̉̈́ͧ̂ͨ̽͏͙̰̭͖̗͞ư̘͍̰̮͔͇̲̝̹̥̤̱̺͆͛̿̄̅̌̉̉͆̂̽ ̂ͣ͒̆̾̀́͠͏̹͎̥̗̯̣̠̘̪̺͎̪̥̖̦̻̹ͅd̷͚̗̙̥̗̥̝͍̫̰͕̼̘̓̓͗̇̒̄̎̓ͤ͑͛́̔͡e̶̡͙̘̼̰̝̥͕ͣ̎͛͒ͩ̄̿͒̈́͡͝s̨̡͍̙̯̰̤̮͙̠̬̞̤̻̱̹͎̰͌͛ͪ̊̊̃̽̉ͫ̔ͯ̈̓̃̕͠e̶͎̭̳̮̩̺͈̟͔̗͕͇͇ͦ͐ͩ͐̇͌͑̌̓͛̒̈́̉̏̿͑̇̍͠r̷ͣͨ̍̾͊ͦ̉̓̌̍͑͒͊̀̑͘͏̷̠̖̤̠̬̜̤̘ͅv̾̒ͧ̓̊ͬ͐ͬͤͩ̇̇̌ͨ̀҉̯̻̬̝͓͓̼̟͎̪̹̤͕̼͖̰͙̳e̴̶̛̤̟̳͙͉̼̙̥̙͔͖͎̻͖̯͍̾̎͗ͤ̉͑̇̃̍ͧ͐͠ ̸͈͚̞͖̥̜̮͆̀̋̍̃̕ẉ̢͎̩̫̩̗͖̜̲̞͖͖̤̖̯͖̻͎̘ͩͪ͆͋ͫo̓̃͊͑͋͐̃͒͋́ͫ̏̅̌̿͌͌͏͏͎̺͚̀̕͞r̢̯̟̩͓͉͎̻͖̳̈̂̆̌̓̃̔ͬͯ͌̇̿̌̍͌͐ͪ͢͜͡ś̽ͩͪͤ̅͛͆̊̆͆ͣ̃́ͩ͏̸̜͎̳͍̮̱̰̙͉̘̟̹̝͙͍ẽ̸̡͖͕͇̩͈͚̫̝̯͎̘̰̲͈͚̭̞̻̑͛ͣ̓͊ͭ̾ͮ̇͢͠ͅ!̵̷̨̲̜̘͎̥̙͙̥͍̳̹͓̳̑ͪ͛̏̍ͣͧͩ͢

Exile likes this.
  6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Let's get back to the topic folks, if there's still a discussion to be had anyway.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I wish there were just a few more tomes in the game. It often feels like I get lucky when I find one. Sort of like with daggers. It may be because there's usually only 2 or 3 types at a any given point in the game-- cookbooks and black books for DL 1-3, Tobin's and Clouds 4-7ish, etc. It's a bit bare compared to other weapons in the game.

8. Aegho

Aegho Member

http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/library-mod-teaser-beta.3336/

9. HenrySpock

HenrySpock Member

"Reading Rainbow" - resist skill, like Spectral Body Paint or Celestial Circle, except with the addition of similar bonus to hit with the same damage types being resisted.

This could be randomized - say, any time the skill activates (I'm thinking proc when character is hit) several random resistances occur with damage of the same types being inflicted for several turns.

"Reference Check" could be an interesting skill - say you take exotic damage, the proc skill could be that you automatically do damage of the best type to counter whatever enemy hit you, the point being you have all that scholastic knowledge and would know what type to use.

10. Kilrathi

Kilrathi Member

Out of curiosity, why is this? I'm running an unarmed Egyptologist right now and am at level 11 of the Dungeon. Currently double-wielding tomes on the thought that it's the best way to get damage (and some additional magic power to feed the sandstorm). Is the trade-off with the shields good enough in terms of survivability that it makes sense to ditch one of the tomes? Does the fact that I'm magic-heavy change the analysis? I've been carrying around a few shields trying to figure this out but haven't had the time to run the numbers and figure out the best approach. I'm fully-maxed out in Unarmed Combat, fwiw. (and otherwise have Egyptology, Ley Lines, Promethean, Burglarly, Archaeology and Shield Mastery - didn't realize just how deadly Egyptology was... took it on a lark and it's carried me way farther than any previous playthrough).

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Mirror shields (and their "darkly" versions too) give you magic reflection, which is rather useful for staying alive. Most builds aren't worried about normal monsters, but about those that can cast, and these shields, when wielded in both hands, render most of their offensive attacks nigh ineffective.

For as long as attacking things in melee is not your only real choice of offensive tactics (that is, if you have a compartment of offensive spells or bolts/throwables and a way to make more of them), you are likely to benefit more from these shields than from books.

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. 123stw

123stw Member

It sounds kinna odd, but mirror shield really doesn't help when it matter most. The most dangerous spells like those DOT poisons, Dredmor's lightning, debuffs, and those beams from floor 13 skeleton dudes all bypass mirror shield. Even when I use dual mirror shield, spell damage still gets through left and right and I don't feel any safer. Good thing Dredmor don't resist aethereal so dual Universal Principle + Sonic Wand actually works. Just pump myself with those elemental potion for massive resist, and beat him up head on.

Although in non Dredmor fight I would suggest The King in Yellow + Universal Principle, unless your are using warrior equip and lacks the magic power.

But then again my build uses 100% counter, heavy mage equip, and necro pacting. She deals even more melee damage than my Dual Sword build......

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Member

I went the opposite route, since with Sonic Wand spam Dredmor becomes piddly easy. Sonic Wand from across the room, Clockwork Drill Bombs until he gets close, then teleport to the other side of the room and repeat. Made the whole fight a little boring, really.