Remove item corruption attacks

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by gary, Aug 3, 2011.

1. gary

gary Member

Waiting for this to happen. Not playing till then.

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Before people start debating whether corruption is good/bad/ugly: you can do this yourself!

Open spellDB.xml in .../steamapps/dungeons of dredmor/game/ and edit this:

Code:
    <spell name="Corrupt Equipment" type="target" icon="skills/spells/radiant_aura32.png" wand="0">
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/acid_bolt/acid_bolt" frames="3" framerate="80" sfx="missile" />
    <effect type="corrupt" amount="1"/>
    <description text="Used by blobbies to grind your equipment to dust."/>
    <ai hint="target"/>
    </spell>
    Remove this line:

Code:
    <effect type="corrupt" amount="1"/>
    Now your equipment won't be corrupted.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

OH, nice! Thank you!

4. Desi

Desi Member

Oooh handy. Thanks for that!

I don't think corruption should be removed, but I think it should be undoable by dipping the weapon into a Potion of Purity.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Surprisingly, the spellDB shows a spell right before the corruption one that removes corruption. No one's ever used it, because I don't think it's actually in the game.
    So, yeah, they wanted to make it so corruption could be removed.
    <code><spell name="Curse Removal" type="self" icon="skills/spells/radiant_aura32.png" wand="0">
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/summonA/summonA" frames="10" sfx="radiant" framerate="60" centerEffect="1"/>
    <effect type="uncurse" amount="1"/>
    <description text="Cleans your curses away!"/>
    <ai hint="ally" />
    </spell> </code>

6. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Curse != corruption. I think that's referring to debuffs.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Why would it be before the Corruption one then? Seems to me that it's about the corruption, otherwise it's out of place.
    Then again, the rooms.xml file contains a lot of F bombs in a row. :) I would totally get in trouble if I posted it. I'm sure.
    So, maybe we can't all understand the Devs.

8. Monk

Monk Member

How do you tell if an item gets corrupted?

Do not think it has happened to me yet. I went through a lot of purple monsters. Now on level 7 I have been killing the purple dragons a lot, and they are often getting hits on me, but dont think anything got corrupted.

Not sure why it would be such a big deal though. Just because you lose your favorite item doesnt mean anyhting. Just find a new item. Stuff isnt suppose to last forever:)

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You must be playing a different game then if you think Stuff isn't supposed to last forever. :)

Seriously though, Magick golems will hit you and corrupt your weapons. But only 1/2 hits.
    There will be a message about corruption above you being hit, and in the message window.

And your weapon will possibly be reduced to crappyness. Trust me, if you've seen what damages they do, you'd know why it's a big deal.

10. GeneralSalad

GeneralSalad Member

Just take a backup set of weapons and use those when fighting corruption monsters, or as mentioned above you can remove the effect with a small amount of text editing.

11. FloydATC

FloydATC Member

Bah! What's the point playing DoD of you're going to cheat? Please... just give us a means of reversing the spells please :-|

12. GeneralSalad

GeneralSalad Member

Well then as I said just use a diff set of weapons when you fight those monsters... of course with armour etc corruption coming in soon that will be fun!

13. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

They shouldn't make a skill that featured Corruption Removal as everyone would always pick that skill, leading to only 6 'real' choices.

A better idea would be finding consumables that removes corruption, like a potion that removes corruption from an item when used, or a wand of cleansing, stuff like that.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@IanEXMAchina LOL, good point, I agree.

@FloydATC I don't mean to sound hostile, but yes, there's plenty of reasons to play this game. And since the XML files are easily edited, and this game is made by mod friendly creators, I fail to see how it's really cheating if you're simply doing what they allow you to do. :)

THat said, never try to stop people from cheating, they will just join forces together and crush you under a never relenting horde. :)

I feel that if they do add in armor/stuff corruption, they better add in a way to remove it, or they will literally force people to play with Archaeology to reroll the artifact corruption.
    And if they nerf that enough, they better make sure that the corruption can be negated, or they'll have done something against the Roguelike genre.
    Always allow damaged items to be repaired.

15. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

I've been saying all along that if there is a method of removing corruption it should be outside of Archaeology for the reasons just stated.

And before someone responds like last time, "being easily able to remove corruption is the same as no corruption" I would much rather have a method that makes corruption too easy to remove than to take away what makes a certain enemy unique or the risk factor of Krong Anvils. This could always be balanced down the road anyway.

16. Monk

Monk Member

"You must be playing a different game then if you think Stuff isn't supposed to last forever. :)"(not sure how to make the post go at someone)

There are tons of items all over the place and stores all the time. Maybe you wont have your favorite weapon or something but so what just get a new one:) I will have to disagree with you. Since your comment isnt one that would ever change I dont think.

I have only gone far with my unarmed build. I guess armor does not get corrupted only weapons. So I have not noticed the corruption.(going rogue permadeath)

Maybe they need to add more corruption so they corrupt armor also?

I agree that people should not cheat in the game. Maybe people do not realize there are global leaderboards on steam. The game needs a way to tell who modified stuff so there scores do not count.(I have heard there are also bugs that need to be fixed and the leaderboard wiped. Then they need a way to make it so moded scores dont count)

Also, people should not be able to get achievments maybe with edited/moded stuff.

17. 123stw

123stw Member

All these equipment breaking and corruption, the problem is that they only affect Melee class. Mages are pretty much exempted from all those things as they blast stuff apart from long range.

18. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

*I agree that people should not cheat in the game. Maybe people do not realize there are global leaderboards on steam. The game needs a way to tell who modified stuff so there scores do not count.(I have heard there are also bugs that need to be fixed and the leaderboard wiped. Then they need a way to make it so moded scores dont count)*

What, you mean like the guy who's got a score of 66 million on Easy? :p

19. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

*Remove this line:

<effect type="corrupt" amount="1"/>*

Here's a though... what if instead of removing that line, you do something like change it to "-1"?
    Would that ADD a bonus to your item? Has anyone tried?

And if that would work, would you be able to do something like a "-10" to get super bonuses? :)

20. Monk

Monk Member

I guess the thing about cheating is alittle off topic for this thread sorry.

The 1 bug I can think of that would be like cheating is getting multiple summons. Another bad one is I heard theres a way to play permadeath and if you die go back to a save somehow.

Others mentioned would be someting where you can sit forever rerolling an item to get the stats you want. Or Im pretty sure a vampire bug with stacked corpses. These 2 though Im not sure if they help as much as the 1st one.

Back on topic - The way the corruption monsters are described I thought they would hurt armor not weapons. Guess I am lucky they dont since I am unarmed.(I kind of want to get back to doing random with going rogue on permadeath but I still have this character going:)

Edit - Ok I made it down to level 10 and I guess maybe these corruption blolbs are the ones you are talking about? though I never let any of them corrupt me. Though I did die to an arch diggle fighting to fast. I Attacked and got countered and attack again and died. I think it hit me 2 times when it countered, then 3rd one killed me, whoops hehe. Was on going rogue permadeath, got 777k score at least.