X the not-adventurer

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mashirafen, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

I don't know if it's meant to be like this already or there's been a thing about it before, but can we have some kind of profession thing other than 'adventurer'? It seems a bit pointless having 'X the adventurer' scoreboard when it appends every single name. A randomly generated thing would be nice, but something as simple as using a profession based on whatever skill (or skills?) you've levelled up the most '(e.g. X the necromancer, X the archaeologist, X the vegan vampire) would be great. Even simpler would be simply rogue, mage, warrior, warrior-mage etc. based on your skills' archetype distribution. Is it possible/easy?

Bohandas likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's meant to change but it's a known issue. It's pretty broken right now.

Turbo164 likes this.
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

As I recall, this was working in 1.0 or so. Broke somewhere along the way, though.

4. Giygas

Giygas Member

I used to be an Archaeologist like you, but then I took an Adventurer to the knee.

[​IMG]

Vitellozzo, Turbo164 and Kazeto like this.
  5. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

This is why I've started using professions in my characters names (e.g. Mage John the Adventurer)

6. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

Ah, I thought it might be something like that. Thanks for clearing it up.

7. JaC381

JaC381 Member

Anyone know if, when they do fix it, it will be retroactive? To characters that already exist, and also dead characters on the high score list - does the list retain enough info on the characters to make that possible?

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, it doesn't.

9. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

You can manually edit the high score table to give whatever profession you want. It's just a plain text file in My Documents/Gaslamp Games/Dungeons of Dredmor.

Edit: At least, I presumed you could, but I just tried it and, every time I restart the game, the list reverts back to its original form.
    Anyone know what's causing that and how to stop it? Steam Cloud maybe?

Kazeto likes this.
  10. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

Okay, further testing, I just tried loading DoD without Steam (as I just remembered you could do that) and my changes to the hi-score remained intact. So it does look like the issue lies with the Steam Cloud. Anyone know how to force the Cloud to accept my changes?

Edit: Okay, last update, I managed to make the Cloud accept my changes. What I did was load up DoD and make the changes while the game was loaded, and then I made a new character and instantly had him killed off, thereby adding him to the hi-score table. Steam Cloud then updated its own table with the new character and all the changes I had made.

11. codebracker

codebracker Member

So are there any plans for fixing it?

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's a low priority bug, at this point we can't promise anything or an ETA.

13. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Could we at least have the explanations of *why* and *how* it got broken?

Because it must have pretty arcane issues tied to it to remain unfixed, something as simple in appearance as attaching a given title from a list to a name in the tombstone.

14. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Investigated.
    What appears to be the case is that the titles have been moved into tags in the skillDB (so that mod skills can give titles!) but no one has moved the titles from the source code to xml.

Beatings shall be distributed.

(Thank you to Daynab for bringing this up, btw.)

15. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Dude, thanks for the explanation. :life:

16. Wootah

Wootah Member

I have always wondered about this. Even thought about making a similar thread many times now. My other dungeon crawlers all had this and I had a faint memory of it being like giygas' screenshot but wasn't sure if that was an invention of my own mind. Sadly it is part of the source code :(

Hopefully we see it again one day.