Music of choice of Dredmor players

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Cain Redfield, Jul 3, 2012.

?

What Genres do you tend to listen to the most

1. Classic Rock

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Indie Rock

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Mainstream Pop

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Country

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Punk Rock

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. Heavy Metal

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  7. EDM (Electronic Dance Music, Dubstep, House, Trance)

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Funk

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  10. Jazz

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Frelus

Frelus Member

Anything on this guy's YT channel.
    He is awesome.
    He made a piano cover of the nyan cat tune and I like listening to it...
    He is a musical god!

2. Createx

Createx Member

I visited a festival in Germany yesterday (the BootBooHook) and it was pretty awesome.
    Mostly Pop and Post-Pop (?) and dreamy stuff, with some Rock thrown into the mix. Audience was very nice as well, though sometimes too quiet - well, Hipsters for you.

Some stuff that stood out imo:

One drummer / background singer, one pianist / lead singer (female), but they create a huge sound, with layers of synths and awesome drumwork and a very powerful voice. Truly amazing, very good texts as well. Even more amazing live! For me the discovery of the month at least, and definitely the best I heard on the festival, and there were quite some awesome acts there. They're also Germans ;)

WhoMadeWho are pretty good, but just pure energy live. Walls of sound, drifting base, pounding drums, deep and humming guitars... Singing reminds me of Queens Of The Stone Age, and deep - tuned guitars, which I'm also a sucker for :p Well, live they are simply beasts.

Technically I haven't seen them live yet, since I had to leave yesterday due to tiredness, but allegedly they are pretty good live. Just plain fun, optimistic, hopeful summer Pop, but with a lot of style and substance, with good voices, good melodies and a sense of quality.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

OPPAN GANGNAM STYLE

i am shocked that this has not been posted yet

(epilepsy warning)

Essence likes this.
  4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The phenomenon in this video is known as 'pareidolia' -- it demonstrates a bit about how the human brain imposes non-existent patterns on our senses. Once you read the lyrics, you will be unable to not hear them as they are shown in the video.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
    OK, I honestly don't listen to this while playing Dredmor -- I just think it's cool.

Daynab likes this.
  5. DragonOfTime

DragonOfTime Member

Personally, I mostly listen to power metal and post punk indie rock. Among my favourites are Blind Guardian, Dead Can Dance and Joy Division.

I'll just leave a song to illustrate:

6. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

I find this poll discriminatory. It's restrictive and does not cater for genres such as folk-reggae, superhero-themed ska-punk, baroque pop or country-acid house-gospel-blues fusion.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Discrimination is mandatory. Not everyone can be accommodated. There is a hard limit on the number of options in the poll.

That is why I picked Punk Rock. I hate Punk Rock, but it is the closest to Industrial that I could find. Please just pick something close and make a post describing what you like. (I know you mentioned several genres, but what do you actually like?) Some people oddly like a little of everything. Some are very picky. Just tell us what you like if you feel this in not close enough to what you like. (You do not have to vote either. You can just post and say that nothing in the poll is close enough, and then tell us some examples of what you like.)

Alternatively, you can make a poll of your own that has the varieties you enjoy most and omits those you see here. This forum is easy to get along with. Take your pick and do not feel left out. :D

8. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

I'm one of those odd people who dabble in pretty much every genre. I enjoy pop, rock, jazz, swing, etc., AKA pretty much anything with a good beat.

I've recently discovered that I really really really like the sound of trumpets, especially when they're paired with violins and/or saxes. As such, I've been listening to a lot of ska recently, as well as stuff from Parov Stelar (which can be considered Electroswing).

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I too enjoy a little of everything, depending on the mood. I grew up on 60s and 70s rock thanks to my dad, and started expanding my horizons around 2005 or so.

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Reminds me a lot of Dynamedion at their best, and this particular version was actually recorded with the Dynamedion orchestra.

Yeah, I love me some soundtracks.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

I was joking, I know it's impossible to accomodate everyone in a poll like this. Complaining about things in jest is just something I do. :p

As it happens, the genres I mentioned are all things I actually listen to and love. In case it wasn't obvious, I like music of all genres, but more than anything I like stuff that is unique and interesting - and I hate to be someone that says I like 'anything that's good', but that's true; I just have clear definitions of what I consider good. I could write a short essay on why I like every band I listen to, and likewise for every band I don't like.

For me, music has to be creative, original and clever, but not sacrifice being enjoyable and pleasant to listen to in order to do so. I think every piece of music should be able to justify its own existence, and if it can't then it isn't worth one. This is what drives me as a musician myself, too.

This probably makes me sound like the type of music snob who only listens to one or two genres that they regard as the only true music, but the opposite is true. I think a lot of music of the genres those kind of people tend to talk about is crap. I think a lot of music of every genre is crap. I don't think the concept of genre as most people perceive it is a good basis for music. But I digress.

tl;dr - I like lots of different stuff. Some of my favourites (which I may inflict upon you at a later point, essay optional) include:

Alabama 3
    The Aquabats
    The Divine Comedy
    Muse
    Mac Lethal
    Big D & The Kids Table
    RHCP
    Dire Straits
    Enter Shikari
    Jamiroquai
    Jurassic 5
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones

And that's just the beginning. But at the same time I never have enough music, so I am always eager to try anything somebody wants to suggest.

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

These don't need any explanation:

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

GWAR. GWAR. GWAR.

Vaguely unsafe for work. But then again why are you listening to GWAR at work?

14. Warlock

Warlock Member

by far the only music which Dredmor players need a 'choice' for is Yakety Sax, no exceptions.

:D

SkyMuffin and Haldurson like this.
  15. Warlock

Warlock Member

I'm probably weird for thinking this but I wonder what would happen if Bowling for Soup ever wrote a DoD theme song. :)-->

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I would disown Gaslamp.

17. Warlock

Warlock Member

I am disappoint. each to his own, or her own, as the case may be.

18. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I listen to a lot of wierd music. I used to refuse to listen to a song I couldn't understand the words of, but I've found liately that I really like foreign music. I have songs on my playlist from Japan, Korea, India, Belgium, France, Britain, and Canada. In American music, I'm a big fan of Ludacris, Missy Elliot, Gnarls Barkley, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Timbaland, and Evanescence. I notably also listen to a lot of Gorillaz and Rizzle Kicks. Basically 'pop rap' with a little bit of rock.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Kablooey.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member