Endless Enemies

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by StonedTurtle, Aug 2, 2011.

1. StonedTurtle

StonedTurtle Member

So I was curious if this is a bug or not and it's really been hampering my enjoyment. This is probably the third time I've had to delete a character. What happens is that I'll be in a certain area, and enemies will keep spawning which prevents me from being able to progress. The most recent time this occurred I was in an area where a Krong Anvil had spawned and I killed around 20+ enemies in a corner.

After believing there couldn't possibly be anymore, I made my way out of my corner only to find there were 8+ more enemies all around the room. I killed off 6+ and yet more kept spawning. So is this a bug or do I just have horrible luck? It really kills the game for me because I literally can't do anything.

2. Monk

Monk Member

I do not think I have seen what you are talking about. Monsters do respawn, but not to fast, and not all in one spot.

Only thing I can think of is maybe you have some quest that is makeing them spawn? Some quests after you pick up the artifact you have to destory the army guarding it. Maybe you didnt destory the main boss and more keep spawning?

It should not make you have to stop though. You could just leave the monsters and go downstairs to the next level or something. If all those monsters kept spawning you should have got enough exp maybe for the next level?

Also if your down on level 5 witchys can resurect the dead.

3. eisiger

eisiger Member

AFAIK this only happens on Going Rogue, and they respawn everytime you do not want them to.

4. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I've noticed enemies can spawn within my field of view on Going Rogue. Often they're asleep.

5. StonedTurtle

StonedTurtle Member

I'll see if I can make a video for it, but I've been playing on the medium setting and check if there are 5 witchy's abroad.

6. Misery

Misery Member

Even on the medium difficulty, enemies will continue to respawn all over a floor so long as you're on it. And they can respawn anywhere and then go where they want. It's not uncommon to wander back through an area you've already been through a couple of times only to find a group of foes waiting for you that came from who knows where.

This is just how the game works, and it's very definitely not the first Roguelike to do this; *alot* of them do this. Expect constant combat in a game like this, expect to run into big groups of doom fairly often, and in places you may not expect.

It's just part of the gameplay and design.

7. argnom

argnom Member

This is true even on easy :/

8. Marak

Marak Member

Keep in mind that this is going to be a bigger issue if your build/character is not an offensive powerhouse. The game spawns new enemies all over current level every 200 turns (or so). Therefore, if you have a character like say, a sword and board melee with a "meh" weapon, or an Archer that's out of ammo, or a Mage that's low on mana/booze, and you're running around avoiding things and plinking away at their health instead of just wading into melee range and killing them, the game can spawn monsters just as fast (or faster) than you can kill them.

If this is happening to you enough that it's becoming a problem and you're deleting/giving up on characters, you should think about swapping one or more Utility or Defensive or Crafting skills for something more "kill shit NOW"-minded (Dual-weilding, Blood Mage, Astrology for buffs, Assassination, etc). Also, Archaeology is amazing for re-rolling artifacts and abusing Anvils of Krong to juice up your weaponry.

9. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Is this massive spawning happening after a round of spacebar-mashing? And is it when you haven't explored much of the level? (I'm not sure how the game chooses where to spawn enemies, but I suspect it might be only in rooms you've already visited.)
    And I hear some people even made scripts or apps to "auto-rest" by hitting wait many times in a row. Because that'd definitely spawn some enemies.

(Yeah, we're going to try to offer a solution to the autorest probably that's more interesting than simply having a "free health and mana" button.)

Exile likes this.
  10. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

"(Yeah, we're going to try to offer a solution to the autorest probably that's more interesting than simply having a "free health and mana" button.) "

You go to sleep for 8 hours...

You suddenly wake up to find a blobby meowing at your feet!

11. Marak

Marak Member

It is dark.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Sorry, had to :)

12. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

I'd love to see an option that could be enabled to change the spawning system to:
    1) No respawn at all; levels can be totally cleared (like Diablo 1). No healing over time.

13. Ratha

Ratha Member

I like the respawn mechanic to some degree, but after you've cleared a level and are repeating it to finish up quests and krongs and picking up missed items or visiting vendors, you are usually powerful enough to kill any monster that spawns in 1, maybe 2 hits and it seems like at that point its added tedium, and allows a player to infinitely grind experience, gold, fungus, lockpicks (and lutefisk if they have a cube) in relative safety. Im not sure how dangerous respawning is on the upper levels, but on the lower ones, once youve mostly cleared the level it does not appear to add any more 'fun' to the game.

I do like that monsters keep spawning on a level initially though, and at times seems to give you small monster zoos because of it. But i think spawning on the level should stop after say... 65% of the level is cleared, or maybe something like 10,000 - 20,000 turns? (just a random guess, dont know what number would work good. Once you've mostly cleared a level, theres basically zero danger from being ambushed by a singularly spawning enemy.

14. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

That seems sensible. Perhaps it could be tied into the Dredmor statues; once you've destroyed all of the statues on a level, Dredmor's influence wanes and no new monsters will spawn on that level.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Hold on a moment. The respawn rate is one new monster or maybe a few monsters every 200 or so turns, how can monsters overwhelm you that fast after 200 turns? The amount of monsters shouldn't be as big as you say.
    It sounds like a bug alright.

It literally seems as though the game is not checking how much time has passed between respawns. Because otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for the monsters to spawn super fast. Even on going rogue.

Unless someone can prove to me that only after a few hundred turns, dozens of monsters should spawn. That's a bit much for this game.
    Even Angband's regenerating monsters don't overload the dungeon floor that much.
    You'll very very rarely run into monster hordes, usually it's a few monsters per few hundred turns too.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but even after 600 turns, there shouldn't be dozens of monsters.

16. StonedTurtle

StonedTurtle Member

Well I checked some things, I didn't have any quest going, most of the level was cleared, and I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I tried to record the gameplay with fraps but no luck. I eventually just deleted the character and started a new one.

I really wish I could of gotten video, but it was just non-stop spawning monsters. It was almost like having a zoo, just without actually having a zoo. I should mention I did attempt to get away, but the closet I came was because I had the Knight's Leap, without that each time I would be demolished.

I didn't really keep track of the turns, but I know it wasn't normal. Like I said I had to delete the character so I could keep playing the game, that there was no hope in that file.

17. StonedTurtle

StonedTurtle Member

I should add that I was in a corner using wait to restore health, and like I said I must of killed 20+ monsters while waiting in that corner. Once I started to make my way out of it is when monsters kept spawning at ridiculous rates. There were at least 8 monsters on the screen at a time and after killing one it was promptly replaced. I even tried to "duke it out" and I must of racked up 20+ kills and still no end in sight.

I haven't run into it again but if I do I'm going to find a different recording program to use and hope it works, this is about the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this occur. But with my newest character I haven't had this issue.

18. FloydATC

FloydATC Member

I've had the same thing happen to me and I had to give up on that char. I reached level 7 with a sword char and must have killed several hundred mobs, all of them with one or two hits and they just kept pouring in. It was like if you're standing in the room next to a zoo (only I wasn't)... always 5-6 mobs in sight and when you deal the 2nd and final blow on one mob, the next one is ready to kill you. In the end I just had to retreat to level 6 and after a few days I wiped the savegame.