Suggestions for the minimap

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by generalmotors85, Aug 2, 2011.

1. The minimap right now is rather basic and doesn't offer much comfort. You can see shops, zoos and stairs and of course the layout of the dungeon, but that is basically it. I want to make the following suggestions:

- mark altars on the map
    - mark quest targets (like monoliths) on the map
    - mark uberchests and switches on the map (switches should change their color on the map when you turn them)
    - when you receive a sidequest, mark the position of the enemy you are supposed to slay on the map so that you don't have to search the whole dungeon
    - make the minimap dragable (for example clicking on a specific part of the minimap should show that area on the screen like you know it from realtime-strategygames like age of empires)
    - make the minimap accept destinations to walk at, so that you can just click on a far away room on the map and your character starts to walk there (automatically stopping when encountering an enemy)

What do you think?

2. shaf

shaf Member

I know some Minimap enhancements are planned for one of the feature patches. I especially like the idea of finding Quest Monsters, On the deeper levels it gets much harder to find the designated enemy. There was one I couldn't find on Level 6 after 3 hours.

3. satoru

satoru Member

Quest monsters probably can't be added otherwise they'd show up in the mini map in the 'fog of war' places you haven't explored. I believe many of the static things like monoliths, statues etc are being added into 1.04 though currently its status is 'todo'

4. Alternatively, why not add an arrow to the player's character, which always points to the next quest monster? This way, one would eliminate the problem of a quest monster which has spawned in a yet unexplored area of the map.

5. seattlesig

seattlesig Member

would love to have the ability to pin the map and make a note on it.

6. AdamantC

AdamantC Member

We are in need of map markers. Also player peaceable notes would be very nice. I'm also all for generalmotors85's quest arrow idea.

7. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

I'd like to see an option to have the teleporters marked on the map, perhaps as a red dots, with a line linking them once you actually use them. This would help figure out where to use teleporting as a shortcut to reach a specific area.

The lines would get in the way, though, so there'd have to be an option to turn them off except when needed.

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

A ton of new, informative and larger minimap icons have been sitting in the queue for a while and they should be going in with 1.0.4

9. HunterZ

HunterZ Member

Just before seeing this thread, I added an entry to the bug/feedback spreadsheet about showing Displacement Glyphs on the minimap (since I can never seem to keep track of them after I find them).

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I hope they do add some nice features.
    Also, if it can take a long time to find a quest monster, I fail to see why showing where it is in unexplored area is a bad thing. Having your char know about one square on the map, doesn't strike me as a bad thing at all. I'm sorry. In fact, it literally makes no sense to complain about that. Unless I am missing something big.

Look at the Glyphs, you hit one, and you end up sometimes exploring a new out of the way place on the map. Why should a quest monster be hidden forever?

11. jpinard

jpinard Member

Critical items for mini-map are:
    * Uberchests locations
    * Vending machines
    * Altars
    * Levers? (maybe)

12. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Most of all ideas here sound good in my book, but wouldn't knowing the exact location of the quest monster ruin *part* of the fun?

Monoliths, altars and that eyeball thing are OK since they're static anyways, but with monsters it could be better with just some rough indications, like "Llwakumpf the Disruptor of Cheeses lurks in one of the southern chambers of the Nth floor, you must go and grab the Aeon of Fisticuffs from its hideous claws!"

13. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Also, what a dadaist name generator you have, Gaslamp. Way to go.

Platypus.

14. I find the actual icons pretty big already, and as much as I would love to see icons for all the important stuff, wouldn't it make the map more cluttered?