Mac problems

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Digglepee, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Digglepee

Digglepee Member

Greetings all,

I'm trying to run DoD on Steam for Mac, and no saves are working at all. It actually crashes if I try to load an old save. I have deleted all content and tried to reinstall a few times to no avail. I saw that there was a Windows hotfix, but I haven't seen anything for Mac yet. Am I waiting for a patch, or is there something I can do?

Help me out, folks.

2. curious nu

curious nu Member

I was just coming to post this. There were instructions in the other thread(s) to delete a folder in the Application Support/Dredmor folder, and that worked... once. Just went to reload my game and 'tis gone again. Frustrating; basically can't play at this point.

3. grumpycow

grumpycow Member

Yep, going on for me too!

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I'm actually stuck at a conference right now, without a functioning Mac, so this is hard to debug for me. (and also why you guys don't have a hotfix, unlike the Windows folks.) :(

So let me try to understand the problem, because I'm a bit confused. If the problem is that it is *old saves* not working, then we can sort that out as soon as I get back on Friday. If the problem is that *new saves* are not saving at all... then we have a different problem. Which is it? I'm a bit puzzled.

Exile likes this.
  5. curious nu

curious nu Member

Hmm, I think it's both. For me it's new saves (as in, games I'm starting fresh an' new since the release of Wizardlands), and those saves disappear; no crashing, just no save to load. But OP sounds like they have a different problem.

6. Digglepee

Digglepee Member

Hello all,
    Thanks for replying. My total problems are this, Old Saves don't load instead causing the game to crash, I am also unable to make New Saves. Perhaps unrelated, when I get to the main title screen, the expansion names are overlapping, rather than having a single screen to look at. Specifically, I have the picture of CotW with title text, superimposed over the title text for RotDG. This clears up when I click the button to change the title screen picture.

When I start a new game, everything seems to run just fine, down stairs, wizard portals, and all. It even acts like it is saving when I click Save and Continue, but it just doesn't.

Anyway, I adore the game, and I would really like to get through some of the new content. Thanks for your help.

7. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

*bump*
    I've had a couple times where a character wasn't saved. I'd do "save and quit" on a permadeath character, and it would quit, but apparently not save. I don't usually find out till I go to load up the game hours or days later. There are no save game files at all with names of the characters. In all cases I had mods installed, so I didn't think it was worth reporting until I saw there was already a thread here for this topic.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

There are two weird things about this bug. One, part of it has been fixed in a hotfix, but second is that some specific mods cause it. Remove the mods folder temporarily and see if you can save without it.

9. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Last I checked, the hotfix wasn't available to Mac users. Has that changed?

In fact, currently, I have a mod that my Mac won't even let me load, but the exact same mod shared via dropbox works perfectly fine on Ruigi's PC. It has no dependencies or references to other mods. Loads fine on his machine as the only mod installed, but not on mine.

Weird thing is, it was working fine on my machine one minute, then suddenly stopped working the next despite me not changing anything inside the mod. Only that mod seems to be affected. All I did was exit out and relaunch with a different -testroom active, and suddenly the mod crashes on every try (even if not using -testroom now).

I did remove the mods folder and verify local content, as I was instructed in the thread about the hotfix. That fixed some of my issues for a couple days, then they started up again today.

I did "Verify Game Cache" on Steam again today, and it said that 15 files inside Dredmor were missing or altered and had to be restored. Just like a few days ago before I did the same thing and restored it then.

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's a really strange thing and I have no idea what causes it regarding mods because a specific mod only affects one or two people and everybody else are fine.

As far as we know though the not-mod-related bug is fixed in the hotfix and that will go live uh, soon. Nicholas said early next week on Twitter, like Monday on Steam and other distributors.

11. curious nu

curious nu Member

I really hope this is the case. I've been unable to save the game since Wizardlands went live. Considering the length of most playthroughs, this means I've been effectively blocked from playing my game. Which is.. kind of freaking unacceptable, you know? Hasn't it been two weeks now?

12. Giygas

Giygas Member

I've had this problem (on a Mac) with old saves, but this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back from some time I don't remember. I think they were from when Dungeons of Dredmor just came out. Either way, they're old and stubborn.

New saves work fine for me, though, so I can't tell what the problem is. Do you use Lion or Snow Leopard?