How about that Patch, eh?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Oathbreaker, Jul 29, 2011.

1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Bronze That may be, after all, I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism. I am quite a bit different from others here. :)
    Which is why sometimes I get a little crazy.

That said, Time Compression is a bad choice of words to use for this feature.

2. Incendax

Incendax Member

@DavidB1111 Mixed association is fairly common among Aspies. The trick is to realize the direction your mind is taking a reference, and instead identify the context of the speaker/posters comment to determine which reference are most likely. In casual conversation this process can slow down your response time, but it is a learned skill that can help.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Incendax Having OCD doesn't help either, but at least it's not that bad. :)
    I'm not always that bad, but yeah, that's the only reference I could see with Time Compression. I figured he met the + and - keys, but I couldn't figure why he used Time Compression, unless he was making a joke.

4. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Patchee patchee patchee!

You guys gotta know when to cut one loose and move on to the next! Get to it!

5. Bronze

Bronze Member

Well devs are probably still taking care of their move to new office. That stuff always takes longer than you plan.

6. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

Gotta beta test the new patches too. Pointless to release a patch with more broken stuff in it.

7. satoru

satoru Member

The irony before patches were coming quickly people complained that it was too fast. Now that they're 'slow' people are complaining it's not fast enough.

I don't think there's a 'just right' category :p

8. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

Never played an FF game - the mechanics always turned me off. Lol @ the guy getting all bent out of shape about it.

Time Compression = Time Acceleration = Speeding up turns/second = Speeding up animation of the sprites

Also, wtf is Ultimesia? Ultima, maybe? Now, those were some hell of a cool games.

9. Incendax

Incendax Member

@DavidB1111 That's not actually OCD, that's safety behavior developed from a young age to protect you from confusing and frightening outside stimulus. Those habits stick with us even into adulthood and can resemble OCD pretty strongly, but they have a completely different neurological basis.

In any case, wikipedia can always help to determine potential contexts when you are on the internet.

10. Embolus

Embolus Member

People like to throw around the term "OCD" on the internet as a sort-of synonym for "perfectionist", but in truth real OCD is nothing like that.

Real OCD is potentially life-breaking. Washing clothes (with a washing machine) takes hours before you even start the machine. Changing the plastic bag in the bin is a quest. Getting a drink of milk from the fridge is a tedious chore in itself.

11. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Embolus Autism Spectrum is often characterized by behavior that is, at first glance, similar in nature to OCD which is what DavidB1111 is talking about. However, it is not the same as genuine OCD and you are absolutely correct that some people with intense or multiple rituals can have their lives crippled by it.

Luckily, the majority of people with genuine OCD do not have their lives ruined.

12. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Incendax, Thanks.
    @Oathbreaker Ultimesia is the final boss of Final Fantasy 8. She uses time Compression. It stops all things from moving outsider of her own bubble
    You don't use Time Compression by speeding up animations.

It's really semantics though. Unless you're a black hole. :)
    I'm glad they're there for people to use them who need them.
    Also, I am not bent out of shape over it. I would like it if you said. "I didn't mean anything by that." :)

13. Embolus

Embolus Member

I expect Autism could express itself with OCD-like signs, although my personal experience with people with Autism doesn't really give me that impression. I think that most people believe "intense interest" or "perfectionism" is OCD, which is why they think typical Autistic mannerisms is OCD.

But then again I'm not a psychiatrist. Does sound like an interesting specialty though...

... Heh, we've sure derailed this thread.

14. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Embolus People with ASD are often subjected to a wide range of stimulus as children that is very uncomfortable or downright painful. In response to these stimulus, someone who suffers from ASD will often develop 'ritual' behavior that calms them or helps them ignore the offending stimulus (or scare them away if the stimulus is a person).

To someone unfamiliar with ASD these 'ritual' behaviors might resemble OCD, especially if the particular 'ritual' happens to seem illogical or repetitious.

15. lobster

lobster Member

so about that patch, eh

16. Incendax

Incendax Member

Still no patch. These are not the droids you are looking for.

17. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

They showed Patch Status 28th of July. They had 3/4th of the stuff done from the list. They took like a week to do just that? Now its' been another week and that 1/4th is still not than? Either they're having some new stuff added, they expanded the list or this apartment moving is costing them here.

18. Marak

Marak Member

Nicolas was moving all last week. According to Twitter, he didn't really get much Patch work done until Friday and currently, has about 50 bugs left to squash. But things should go more quickly now that he's settled in; if we're lucky, the patch could hit early next week.