Windows Vista/7 64-bit How are resistances supposed to work?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Average Joe, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

My character has :resist_nercomatic: 1 of necromantic resistance, granted him by his belt. and no slashing resistance at all.

A Deth attacks me with his terrifying scythe, and the combat log says "The Deth slashes you! :)dmg_slashing: 2 slashing, :dmg_necromatic: 1 necromantic) "

How much damage should my character actually take? I thought it would be only 2, because the 1 point of necromantic damage dealt would be resisted, leaving the 2 slashing.

However, my character is actually taking all 3 points of damage, and the resistance seems to be non functional.

Can resistance not reduce damage to 0? Is this a bug? Or is there something else going on that I don't know about?

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm not sure it's a 1:1 ratio, and I've never really seen it work that way. I think you'd need a number of points to reduce the damage by any amount - so you might need, say, 5 points of :resist_piercing: to resist 1 :dmg_piercing: (numbers pulled out of my big fat arse, by the way).

I think it's the same with some stats like :block: - after a certain point you start to get diminishing returns, i.e. the more block you add above a certain value, the less benefit you get for those points. Um. In other words, say 80 :block: stops damage by 40% (which would be 2BV: -1dmg taken), 100 :block: might only stop 42%, so that extra 20 BV would only give you an extra -2dmg taken (which is 10BV: -1dmg taken) .

I could be completely wrong, however.

3. Movra

Movra Member

4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Yes, that must be it. The Wiki page you posted there shows that the Deth deals 2 :dmg_necromatic:, and the combat log showed that he only did 1 :dmg_necromatic: to me. The log must already be accounting for it.

Thanks for the responses!

5. Createx

Createx Member

Althea, Dodge/Counter/Crit/Block are % values I think :)

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

That's how it works in MMOs too (such as WoW), but there's a point where you begin to get less benefit the more of a stat you stack.

7. Createx

Createx Member

The diminishing returns you see are probably because Dodge overrides Counter which overrides Block. That means if you have 100 Dodge you'll never counter i guess.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Well, no, that's not diminishing returns as such. DimRet (as I call it for convenience) is more like below a certain point you might find 1 point of X increases Y by Z%, but after a certain point, you get a smaller Z% increase for the same amount of X.

I think. It's been a while :p

9. Createx

Createx Member

I know, was just trying to find an explanation for what you expierence. Not sure though, but I think it works that way.

10. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Yep!

If you have 2+ :armor_asorb: (or :resist_slashing:) and 2+ :resist_nercomatic:, the log will say "The attack has no effect!" (unless he crits, in which case you'd need a little more)

If you get a Krong curse with negative 3 :resist_nercomatic:, then the combat log would say you took 5:dmg_necromatic:, etc.