Portal Easter Egg

Discussion in 'Stories & Fan Fiction' started by pauyasfyla, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

The status feed randomly (I assume) spit out a line mentioning "bring your daughter to work day". I wonder if there's any other stuff like this that isn't immediately obvious?

2. jareddm

jareddm Member

How exactly is that a portal reference? Because of that one line in portal 2? Bring your daughter to work day has been around for decades.

3. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

I assume it is because most of the game's humor is references video games. The way it was written sounded like a GLaDOS line.

4. Tayrtahn

Tayrtahn Member

I believe the line is something like "Bring your daughter to work day is the perfect time to..." which seems like a pretty clear reference to GLaDOS's line in the original Portal: "Did you know? Bring your daughter to work day is the perfect time to have her tested."

I think I encountered the line on the third dungeon level (the lab-themed one) too.

5. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

Yeah, I think that's where I saw it. Makes sense...

6. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Everything in the entire game is a reference to something :p.

7. clocknova

clocknova Member

I've heard that the game itself is a reference to, like, some other old game.

8. nabcgb

nabcgb Member

*facepalm* Its obviously a referance to the part in Portal 1 where GLaDOS says "Remember bring your daughter to work day is a great time to have her tested."

9. Tycho

Tycho Member

What about the other ones, like "You can't cut back on funding! You will regret this!" There's one that goes "You feel an overpowering sense of regret" that I swear is a reference to NetHack (I think that's one of the messages you get randomly when quaffing from a fountain in NetHack).

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Erm... this thread was literally 8 months old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.