Some ideas to vitalize the unarmed skill tree (or MOD topic)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kent_shaw, Jul 26, 2011.

1. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

Hi devs and players,

The problem of the Tree is widely discussed and it is a well-known issue.
    The final damage output is too low in the mid-late game.
    At the current version (1.03) , the skill tree adds 8 damage totally, plus meelee power of 20+ in the late game, plus some gear-based powerups, the final damage output in the late game will be in the 40ish. And this means attacking a single DL9-10 mob needs 4-5 blows. Considering how many mobs in the zoos...

Here are my ideas:
    1. Change the damage buff of the Tree to all aethereal type, in an aim to bypass the armour. (figures untouched though)
    2. Make the level 2 & 4 skills to unleash the aetherealF type of damage, so something else could be added to the final damage output. It won't ruin the early game expierence, and will get more and more powerful late games. If the incoming patch of 1.04 could add some meelee power combining factor(s) instead of the magic power, it will add much more logic to this charactor. It's a muscle type anyway.
    3. (Optional for modding)Make the level 5 and 6 skills another two active type of skills, with downtime limitation though, so they could be benefited from the magic(meelee) power again. Why 4 active skills for the unarmed? For it's unarmed and it's special, isn't it?

Personally, I made a mod to implement the above concepts and tested it. It worked well , in a way exactly what I planned. No early OPs, and good late game challenge.

Comments,guys?

2. Omnia0001

Omnia0001 Member

My first thought: Make it work with dual-wielding, so double the damage mods with it.

Second thought: Make level 5 unarmed grant two hits every attack

Third thought: Level 4 grants an additional passive: everytime the user blocks/dodges/counters, apply a 5-atk(or def.. dunno) buff that improves melee damage though granting x piercing/x aethereal/x melee (stat) and 2 to accuracy. Make X whatever balancing act it needs to be.

Last thought: Make unarmed an odd type of melee skill, in that it stacks with any other weapon wielded in terms of buffs. But to do this, need to grant either another rank in unarmed that grants the ability to wield any weapon but only to grant whatever damage buffs the item itself grants.

3. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

The original concept of this charactor is using his feet as main weapon. So I, personally, say no to your first and last thoughts.

But I liked your 2nd & 3rd ones.

4. Omnia0001

Omnia0001 Member

The idea behind the first was dual-wielding basically was ambidexerous for unarmed. Being able to attack using (both) arms/feet.

The last one was more oriented on a mechanic level... but the thought was.. the character gets the enchantment bonuses for having such weapons equipped, but elbows/kicks for attacks as well as or instead of weapon attacks (depending on if another weapon skill is learned/used)

5. 123stw

123stw Member

Unarm is already super powerful for the first 5 dungeons of the game, which then dies down. I don't think it needs a 0 point wonder (dual wield) to deal twice the damage and not have to sacrifice shield in the process.

I think the a good solution is to add some kind of damage to boot that only works when not equipped with other weapons. This will let the damage scale properly throughout the game. Besides, getting kick by some steel boots should hurt a lot more than bare feet.

6. Artifex 28

Artifex 28 Member

Also unarmed means you are using your limbs. No idea to implement dual wielding to it. Long live double shield-builds. :p

7. Countmore

Countmore Member

I like the boot idea. Kicking with rocket boots should burn monsters to a crisp! And spiked shoes could have piercing damage! Think of the possibilities!

8. Kagemaru

Kagemaru Member

Unarmed should increase damage based on your boots. Nuff said

9. Artifex 28

Artifex 28 Member

Suppose unarmed should be changed to "kicking techniques" then. :>

10. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

Well, it DOES say unARMed.

11. Artifex 28

Artifex 28 Member