I have an idea for a DoD league but can't figure out how saves work...

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Aleksandar, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Aleksandar

Aleksandar Member

Here's what I had in mind.
    I would create a character in DoD using random for skills. Save the game right at the beginning, then somehow take the savegame file and distribute it to other players via the forum. Then they would use the savegame file with their game so we would all have exactly the same game (same skills and same predetermined dungeon), then we could all compete and see who is the better player via comparing scores :)
    I've tried tinkering with the savegame files to see if this is possible put I think Steam cloud just keeps overwriting everything I do but I still haven't tried turning it off. Can anyone help me with some information on how this can be done?

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I would be super interested in this idea and I'd love to see it work out. :)

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

http://community.gaslampgames.com/t...iplayer-build-and-save-exchange-program.2659/

This has been done before. You can easily do it again. Just be certain *NOT* to use Steam to launch and *NOT* to use Steam cloud and *NOT* to use Steam mods. Doing so will totally ruin the game.

Either disable Steam mod subscriptions and launch entirely outside of Steam, or give up now and save yourself the trouble.

All player must use the exact same version of the game and the exact same mods. Otherwise saves will not work for everyone.

4. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

The save game system is being revised for the next patch so that a save will contain its own mods, and other cleverness ... or something like that. (Hey, I'm the artist.) This should make games run in the manner you describe a heck of a lot easier to do.

Thecakepie and OmniNegro like this.
  5. Aleksandar

Aleksandar Member

That sounds awesome. I hope it comes out soon because I can't get it to work for now :p

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If using the Steam version, make a shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\Dungeons of Dredmor.exe and use that to launch the game outside of Steam. If you are still having problems, let us know what they are and we may be able to help.

The next patch will be August 1st. (With the new expansion.) So it is not too long to wait if you want to.

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

As a very competitive person (not necessarily a very careful player, though -- my A.D.D. seems to inevitably take charge at some point, no matter how careful I start out, and I wind up walking headlong into traps, and certain death), I'd take up just about any challenge.

8. Warskull

Warskull Member

Isn't each floor generated when enter the floor? I've had instances before where the game crashed and I re-enter a floor and it is different. Although this was some time ago so I could have changed since then.

Thinking about it a "use this seed" feature could be awesome.

9. ArtKi

ArtKi Member

Sounds great. If you do that, as an alternative to high score for the tourney idea, the winner could be the one who kills Dredmor in the fewest moves. Of course, the game would have to keep track of how many moves you made (hint hint).

10. I was wondering the same thing. If it can work, though, then I would love to participate in this competition.

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I believe it's generated when entering.

12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've actually had a slightly different idea for DoD competitions -- the ideas come from many years ago from a board game that my friends and I were addicted to -- Cosmic Encounter. We'd come up with all sorts of complex methods for determining what alien powers we'd each use in the game. There's no way in DoD that you could ever eliminate all randomness to make an even game, but you COULD at least, make it fair. Here's some of my ideas:
    1. a) If you have 7 people, each person secretly picks ONE skill, and a single mod (the skill doesn't have to come from that mod, but if you pick a mod skill, then you must pick the corresponding mod). If two or more people have picked the same skill, then that skill cannot be used by anyone, and each of those people have to pick new skills. You proceed until you have 7 skills, and then everyone plays using those same skills.
    b) if you have more than 7, then the additional people can name two mods to include.
    2. You have a gamesmaster who randomly mixes up a list of skills. He reveals to everyone two skills at a time -- each player secretly selects one of those skill, and the other skill is out (each player can make his own selection). Continue to reveal pairs of skills until each player has a full 7. If a skill requires a mod, then you can use that mod only.

shaken likes this.
  13. Thecakepie

Thecakepie Member

I would be so game for this.