Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Oathbreaker, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

Just restarted playing Going Rogue difficulty with no permadeath, dual-wield mace dodge perception archaeology smith burglar.

1. How bad is dual-wielding right now and should I just scrap that character til they fix it?

2. The crafting skills don't seem to be all that useful compared to just looting/buying/re-rolling gear - how bad is it?

3. I understand I need to flip every switch on a level to open the Uber Chests - do the switches stay flipped after saving/reloading a game or do I need to hit every single bloody one after every time I save a game?

2. MikeW

MikeW Member

1. They are fixing the dual-wielding skill in the next patch, sometime this week.

2. Depends how you play. I like making my weapons, then using them on Anvil of Krong, some don't.

3. I think that was fixed in the latest patch, as there was some sort of issue. Not really noticed it myself though. If it isn't fixed, it will be next patch.

3. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

Thanks, guess I'll gut it out til the patch rolls out. I'm assuming it'll be automatic via Steam? But exactly what is currently wrong with Dual Wield - does it just do less damage than intended or what is the issue?

4. I read a few people referencing a way to speed up the game when running around a mostly cleared level - how is this

4. Detnom

Detnom Member

To 4, use the + and - keys on your keyboard. Not the ones on the numpad, the other ones.

5. MikeW

MikeW Member

Yes Steam will automatically download and apply updates to all your games when they are released. I am not sure what is exactly wrong with it. But I think it is just not as strong as it should be, as you are using two weapons. But I am not sure.

4. Yes, you can double the speed by using the + and -, which if you are using a QWERTY keyboard, they are to the left of the backspace, not the ones on the numpad. When you move, use mouse though.

6. Marak

Marak Member

Well, dual-wielding is good from the standpoint that you get the combined damage of both weapons per swing and, if you put 1 point into it, that chance to proc Offensive Maneuvering.

However, the bad part is that the passive stat buffs are ALL broken at the moment, so putting more than one point in it is a complete waste, at least until they fix it (supposedly, in the next patch).

7. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

Thanks Marak, excellent explanation.

Found a bug with using WASD to attack enemies - if they're standing on a tile that can be used by a door the attack won't happen but it ends your turn and the monster gets to attack. Only happened to me while I was attacking toward the south after the mob had moved north toward me. I think this is a known bug, though.

Another one was a teleportation tile spawning under the Eyeball Shrine - means you can only go one-way.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yeah, you never needed to flip every lever. I don't know who told you that.
    But before Patch 1.03 I had those uberchests unlock from hitting a lever. Heck, I even had one unlock from a lever really close to it. I saw it unlock on the screen. And it wasn't the last lever on the level.
    Edit: Smithing is awesome. Use it, it can help a lot. Or it can suck, it depends on the RNG.

9. Marak

Marak Member

Smithing is also a double-edged sword (ha, ha).

On the upside, if the RNG gods smile upon thee and all that, you can get some really amazing weaponry as soon as the 2nd floor, maybe late 1st floor. If you can get a lot of Steel or Iron you can make upgraded swords/maces/axes that deal a ton of damage for the first 3-5 dungeon floors. These weapons only require 2 skill, from your first level-up, and will last you for a long time. Some of the armor options (shields and breastplates especially, and most of the Aluminum stuff) are good, as well.

On the downside, you're really at the mercy of the RNG gods. If you find nothing but Copper and Zinc and Plastic and Platinum and Silver you're not going to get ANY use out of your smithing skill.

Also, most of the recipes worth making require 3 points be spent in the tree. That's 3 level-ups to make 1 or 2 pieces of gear, and then you get like, 2 Burliness and 2 Trap Sense. Not that great.

Also, smithing eats up about 25% of your backpack no matter what. You need ingots of Copper and Bronze and Iron and Gold and Steel, at a minimum. Making Bronze requires Tin. Making Steel requires Bituminous Coal and Chalk. You also need your Ingot Press and Junior Smithing Kit.

Also, most crafted gear starts to pale in comparison with the loot you can find and buy in the lower half of the dungeon. And again, if you don't find some of the Moste Uber Recipes from Bookcases, you won't be getting the most out of your smithing.

Basically, if you don't mind fighting with RNG for a shot at getting some good EARLY gear at the expense of a ton of inventory space and the fact that it scales poorly from dungeon floors 5-10, then go for it.

10. Oathbreaker

Oathbreaker Member

Thanks Marak. I think you just persuaded me to re-roll and not bother with it. Two early skill points for a 50% of something good and a 100% of a totally borked inventory space? - No thanks.

I did find an amazing mace smithing recipe early on, but didn't realize I'd need to spend 4 skill points to make it... yuck.

11. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

You don't need to find recipes to craft items. Most people don't bother with it, because recipes are way too rare.

Also, most of the ingots are not worthwhile; all you really want to carry around are coal, chalk and iron, and most of the time you won't have at least one of those. Once you get up to higher level crafting, you'll want silver and gold, but that's about it.

12. rederick

rederick Member

I consider smithing to be more of a filler or support for the other two crafting skills. My first half-way decent character was based around smithing after half a dozen deaths or so, but lack of recipes does really limit it's capabilities.

That being said, even only having smithing without any points can stretch your metal for tinkering and alchemy. Maxing out both smithing and alchemy can net you 24 health potions from 1 hematite ore, but that's a rather rediculous amount of skill points. I'm curious to see if tinkering helps the return rate on making/grinding ingots at all.

If only you could distill recovery potions into stronger forms, that 20-something hp recovery gets to be a bit on the useless side fairly quickly. My last smith/alchemist died on the last monster in a zoo: boss monster. I had the best stuff I could forge/found/enchanted and I was reduced to drinking a health potion every turn until the inevitable counter-crit. I should have weakened with bolts or something, but eh, I tend to be a purist with builds.

13. Marak

Marak Member

I guess if you're willing to look up the recipe for *Mr. Badass Uber Sword of Uberness" on the wiki or something, late-game Smithing might be more useful. If you're just going by what the game gives you, it takes a huge nosedive after floors 3 and 4 and never really recovers.