[Skill] Hermetic Gadgetry [BETA]

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Aegho, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Aegho

Aegho Member

The mod I've been talking about on the chat is finally completed.

Hermetic Gadgetry
    hermetic_gadgetry.png

You've studied the practical applications of the Secret of Hermes.
    Rogue Skill. No expansion requirements.
    mental_transmutation64.png
    Level 0: Mental Transmutation. Summons a Vial of Mercury (reagent).
    1:alchemy:2:sagacity:.

hermetic_seal64.png
    Level 1: Hermetic Seal. A debuff that also inflicts lockdown, and an asphyxiative dot.
    1:wand_burn:2:resist_toxic:

vibrating_widget64.png
    Level 2: The Principle of Vibration. Summons a Vibrating Widget (reagent).
    1:smithing:3:crit:

gadget_copter64.png
    Level 3: Gadget Copter. Allows for teleport, on a moderate cooldown. Not entirely accurate landing.
    1:tinkerer:4:dodge:

as_above_so_below64.png
    Level 4: As Above, So Below. Summons Bottled Sunlight (reagent).
    1:alchemy:5:magic_power:

extra_arms64.png
    Level 5: Gadget Arms. Adds damaging procs for throwing and melee combat.
    1:tinkerer:1:smithing:2:melee_power:

refridge_a_gadget64.png
    Level 6: Refridge-a-Gadget. A fairly large anchored template of hyperborean damage around you, also does paralyze and lockdown.
    1:wand_burn:3:haywire:3:savvy:2:dmg_hyperborean:2:resist_hyperborean:

The mod is meant as a support skill, and the things made with the reagents it summons have requirements that often exceed the crafting skill it itself provides, plan accordingly! It is adviced to take at least one of tinkering, alchemy or wand lore with it, or both clockwork knight and rogue scientist as a minimum. Their effects also scale to crafting skills.

It adds 3 new reagents, used to make 3 new throwing weapons, 3 new bolts, 3 new potions, and 3 new wands.

Changelog 0.2: Lowered cooldown on Gadget Copter from 35 to 10 and increased chance of accurate landing from 1/9(11%) to 8/16(50%).
    Changelog 0.1.9: Fixed a minor detail for Sun Bolt. Also cleaned up Vibrating Wand code a little(added a removebuffbyname for the dummy buff it uses to determine if you targeted yourself or a monster).
    Changelog 0.1.8: Fixed recepie for Vibrating Wand, and also Mercurial Bolt can now target floor, so you can use it to break false walls.
    Changelog 0.1.7: Added an alternative recepie for Vibro Throwing Axe. (So you can keep making it when your Throwing Axe craft output turns into Nzappa zaps).
    Changelog 0.1.6: Toned down some secondary buffs a smidge.
    Changelog 0.1.5: Fiddled with proc percents, changed the cloud sprite for Mercury Gas Cloud.
    Changelog 0.1.4: The reagent spawning spells are now kill procs instead of cooldown, to reduce micromanagement and ability bar clutter.
    Changelog 0.1.3: Changed all spawn effects to spawnitemfromlist.
    Changelog 0.1.2: Fixed a name error that prevented Summon Mercury from working properly.
    Changelog 0.1.1: Added the Gadget Hat starting item, had forgotten that, despite making the sprite. :p

Attached Files:

2. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

It's nice but i think you need to tone down some of the secondarybuffs.

3. Aegho

Aegho Member

Better?

4. Ruigi

level 0: 1 sagacity,alchemy
    level 1: 1 wandlore,
    level 2: 1 smithing,
    level 3: 1 tinkering,
    level 4: 1 sagacity, alchemy
    level 5: 1 tinkering, 1 smithing, 1 melee power
    level 6: unchanged

5. Aegho

Aegho Member

That's far less than any of the craft trees themselves give in secondaries. Although granted, clockwork knight / rogue scientist don't give much. This is somewhere in between, but the number of abilities is also somewhere in between, bears some thinking of.
    There's only 2 offensive abilities in the tree, and they're not as powerful as those in clockwork knight / rogue scientist, and there's one utility ability, and 2 damage procs. Honestly I feel the balance is pretty fair in this regard. I'll have to think about it though, because the new items are pretty neat, so they do up the power level.

6. Ruigi

The passive boosts are only warranted on the craft skills because they give just about 0 extra abilities beyond stat boosts.
    If you offer some kind of special ability in addition to stat bonuses, the passive boosts should not be as large. The ability to teleport in much more useful than +5 spell resist.

7. Aegho

Aegho Member

We could argue all day, but there are several core skills with significantly higher bonuses, that do have abilities. This skill also practically requires picking up a craft skill or two as well, or at least a few more semi-craft skills. Without craft skills this whole skill is very very weak, as practically all the scaling is scaling to craft skills, and the majority of the recepies require higher craft skill than it provides by itself. I have pretty much balanced them with the idea that you can reach 10+ in the craft skills if you pick the right skills, so if you're stuck at 2, you're a gimp.

8. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

So is Gadget Copter able to teleport you onto water tiles?

9. Ruigi

nah

it would probably just fizzle the effect.

It would be nice if a teleport effect lead over water to your death.

10. Aegho

Aegho Member

Yup. Same with walls (but not customblockers).

11. DerekD

DerekD Member

For me it crashes whenever i use the hermetic seal. It will show the dome over a monster, then crash with no explanation

Bohandas likes this.
  12. DerekD

DerekD Member

This time the seal worked once on one creature (thrusty) but not the next time when i cast it on a purple boss guy

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

That is really really weird... I used it constantly without problems.

Just to check something, do you play with the mod zipped or unpacked? If you're running it zipped, could you try unpacking and running it unpacked?

14. DerekD

DerekD Member

Still crashing for me but only sometimes. Just the hermatic seal, and only certain creatures, (maybe mod added ones?) I'll do more testing. Maybe it was cuz the spell checker in me had to rename the file from gadetry to gadgetry. But I've tried changing it back and unpacking it like you said, I also have almost every single mod I could download and get working, installed. But this one I want to keep, so I'll keep playing with it.

15. Aegho

Aegho Member

I can't believe I missed that typo, lol. But seeing as it's just the zip/folder name, it shouldn't matter. The mod tests out as error free in the mod validator as well btw.

Oh, I just had a thought... maybe one of the other mods has a dot by the same name! (looks into his own code) Err doubtful.

There's three subspells to it. Hermetic Seal (the ability itself, which includes the debuff), Hermetic DoT Trigger (because I wanted the dot delayed, I had to add a subspell to trigger it), and Hermetic Asphyxiation (the dot). Seems unlikely someone else named his/her mods spells the same, but possible I guess. The other possibility is that it's the sprite causing it, possibly because it shares the folder with another sprite set. If I change that though, it's going to break saves for anyone updating.

16. DerekD

DerekD Member

Maybe theres a way I could change it for myself then? if its not too difficult and you didn't mind explaining a little that is. I appreciate all your help anyhow, even if you can't really tell me how to do it,

17. Aegho

Aegho Member

Go into hermetic gadgetry/sprites, create a subfolder (in all lowercase), put the hermetic_tube0000.png in the subfolder.
    Then to go hermetic gadgetry/mod, open spellDB.xml, look up the <halo name="path/file" etc/> line, change the path to include your new subfolder.

18. DerekD

DerekD Member

I changed the path like you said and it works. Thank you so much. Before that I made the game not show the hermetic_tube0000.png entirely and the spell worked flawlessly, I did this by removing the "use timer" and "time" lines and it worked I just got no glass shell in game. I was messing around with it for a while but it would only work 1 cast, and then it would crash when i cast it a second time or if I tried to change the game speed for some reason. But it works great now! Thanks again for all your help!

19. DerekD

DerekD Member

Nevermind I guess its still crashing occasionally, even after I did all that, gonna have to disable the sprite or something for now

20. DerekD

DerekD Member

Yay, I got it to work with the sprite almost perfectly by deleting the words first="0" and frameRate="1" except sometimes monsters are still able to move while the seal is on them

Bohandas likes this.