How about accurate item discriptions? My memory ain't so good.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by clocknova, Jul 25, 2011.

1. clocknova

clocknova Member

How about making it so that the description of a consumable item (wand, potion, fungi, etc.) changes after you use it once to accurately reflect what it actually does. There are so many odd items in the game that I cannot remember from game to game what they all do, even after playing for hours at a time. I really don't want to have to create and print out a spreadsheet. This seems pretty reasonable to me.

2. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

There aren't even that many compared to other roguelikes...

3. Sokaron

Sokaron Member

Fungi, as an example.
    There are lots of fungi.
    Azure mob bonnets, fell truffles, Plumbers (err..) , Princes...
    It's easy to remember what does what once you factor out harmful ones - that is
    Night Caps, and Mud Wens. Azure Mob Bonnets give magic stats, fell truffles give you dark magic stats(or something), plumbers give you strength stats, princes give you max health, fairywodgers are healing items, so on and so on...

That was all from memory, btw.

4. clocknova

clocknova Member

Good for you. I can't do that.

5. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

Then look at one of the wikis when you play.
    Stop trying to dumb it down for everyone.

6. Daiug

Daiug Member

Actually, just Mud is a debuff, Night Caps give mana :v

7. clocknova

clocknova Member

Who is dumbing anything down? It actually makes perfect sense to add the proper description after you figure it out. Anyone remember "The Dungeon Revealed"? That's what it did. And boy could sampling random potions and scrolls be dangerous, but at least you knew what it was afterwards, even if it killed you. And looking at the Wiki while I play requires me to quit the game, consult the page, then launch the game again. I can print out a sheet, but why should I have to waste paper like that?

Anyway, Daiug proved my point.

8. Kagemaru

Kagemaru Member

I agree, it'd be nice if after one use it had a more accurate description. Even if it was just as vague as the original description, if they mentioned SOMETHING having to do with stats, it'd be better. This coming from a guy whose memory scares some people.

9. clocknova

clocknova Member

Thank you. I'm glad at least one person agrees with me. Stopping to consult the wiki every time I pick up some weird mushroom is inconvenient and immersion breaking. Seriously, I could play this game for weeks and still not remember exactly what every single vaguely described item does.

10. Bronze

Bronze Member

I know this not the solution your looking for...nor the droids :) but I usually have the wiki up in firefox before I launch the game and then alt+tab to it from in game if I need to check something. Its easier than having to print a page and waste ink/paper.

I understand what your saying though.

11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Alt-tabbing from most games tends to cause a big problem. :(
    @Rikkard Nothing about dumbing this game down. Angband had Id scrolls. Does that mean it was dumbing it down? ADOM had it. Lots of games had it easy to figure out what something did after you used it.
    So, don't insult people.

12. Countmore

Countmore Member

It's different in other rougelikes. In nethack, for example, a milky potion can be healing in one game, and sickness in another. In Dungeons of Dreadmore, a Nightcap is always a mana-restoration fungi. That's why there is no need for identification after use. After a couple of games (especially with Fungal Arts/Alchemy/Wand Lore), you'll be able to at least recall the important ones, like Inky is invisibility, Greedy is lifesteal and Zodiac is debuff-removal, etc.

If you have problems alt-tabbing, try playing in windowed mode. That way, alt-tabbing wouldn't cause any problems at all.

13. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

The descriptions of the fungi are already fairly accurate to begin with. Once you find out the effect of a fungus, you can usually tie it to the flavor description it has and its picture. Probably the only description that needs to be changed is Odious Puffball since it implies that it's a harmful effect when eaten when in fact it actually just gives you some throwing weapons.

14. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

The flavor descriptions are fun. Another part of the fun is discovering what stuff does. You're not meant to completely master this game in one play through...

15. Derp123

Derp123 Member

There's 12 mushrooms and 12 wands to remember... and that's it? Some of the wands and mushrooms are obvious too. Wand of laser huh. The potion effects are quite obvious. Can't think of anything else. You won't remember the mushrooms after your first game but really if you can't remember what 12 items do you have memory problems.

16. clocknova

clocknova Member

You know what? I'll just modify the item descriptions in the XML files so my defective memory won't be an issue. I shouldn't have to, but there it is.

EDIT: Hmmmm. No change in the item descriptions after modifying the xml files. Anyone know how to make this work?

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Derp123 While I do remember how most items work, having the description changed a bit isn't a bad thing.

I'm not sure why every suggestion is met with overwhelming hostility on this forum. :(
    @clocknova Don't let the mean people get the best of you.

18. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

I'd like to see this option as well. I'd love to see the ability to inscribe a sentence or two of our own into an item description. Ideally it could be set to a persistent save-independent master file, so that any save game could build off of the same information.

19. Incendax

Incendax Member

On the one hand, there is not really any need to have a unique identification mechanic since you should be able to easily remember what everything does since it never changes.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a notation system that you could put on items or the automap.

20. Ratha

Ratha Member

Making a player to want to swap out to the wiki because they are too scared to try something new or cant remember what the item defeats the original purpose of making a semi-friendly rogue-like, and simply makes a fully friendly one instead, taking out one whole potential element of the game, that of uncertainty.

Heres why i think people are hostile about this topic:

Side 1 - The Tactical Player. Players who like to make informed decisions and play by the numbers may feel the need to bypass the intentional vagueness built into many of the items to begin with. Descriptions which were originally designed to be 'a fun learning experience.' For them, the game will be annoying because they will spend less time playing and more time looking things up.

Side 2 - The Hardcore Player. Since the game currently has no mode for changing the function of an item once you learn what it does, you always know. Some players will feel that this shortens the lifespan of the game and forces them to learn what each item does even quicker, thus removing the mystery. These are the kinds of players who like the 'challenge' of not remembering or knowing exactly what an item does and would consider Dredmor to be even further dumbed down or "kid friendly" and be put off by this user friendly change.

My simple solution to the problem: Perhaps there should be an option in the game or difficulty menus to "Show detailed consumable item information after first use." this would allow players to play how they want. Have a bad memory and want to play by the numbers? Turn the option on. Have a good memory, or dont want certain things to be spoiled for you incase you didnt learn the first time? It defaults to off just like the game was intended, so you dont have to do anything at all. Options are almost universally always good to have, especially in a game like this.