Why is Alchemy a Rogue skill and not a Mage skill?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Sunhawk, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

There's three crafting skills - one would think that Smithing would be fighter, Tinkering would be rogue and Alchemy would be Mage...

2. Greg72

Greg72 Member

Because its not casting or tied to casting. Its indirectly related yes, but its not casting. As it is Mage has the most tree's, if you want to go all mage its very easy already.

3. That is a cop-out responce, Greg72. The OP is correct. Tradionaly speaking in most rpgs alchemy is tied to the mage class by the rational that one has to be knowledgable to be good at a skill like alchemy. And mages fit the bill.

Due to balance reasons each class has to have equal skills tied to it. So alchemy gets attached to another class rather than mages having too many.

I have read they have more skills in the works, so hopfully this will get switched around at some point.

4. clocknova

clocknova Member

I agree. It make far more sense for each built type to have it's own crafting skill.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I hope Smithing gets moved to a Warrior skill. Seriously, how many Rogues sit down at an anvil and smash iron until it forms a sword. :) That's for tough fighters only.

6. lazareth

lazareth Member

Alchemy already acts like a dual "wizard/rogue" skill. It gives skillpoints like a rogue skill, but also +sagacity, yielding the same points as if it were both.

7. clocknova

clocknova Member

It feels really strange not to have the three crafting skills assigned to their respective classes. Smithing just "belongs" with warriors, alchemy makes sense as a wizard skill, and tinkering fits in naturally with the various rogue classes. It just seems so perfectly balanced that I find it odd that it's not already set up that way. I mean, smithing skills already boost burliness with each level, but to have them add points to the rogue line is just strange.