Lord Dredmor thoughts

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by curious nu, Jul 24, 2011.

1. curious nu

curious nu Member

He's way, way too easy right now. On my last game (going rogue + permadeath) he actually killed himself by repeatedly stepping on a trap, trying to get to me.. despite the fact that I was -two corridors- over. I was trying to get back to him (after bailing first, wanted to finish off a skill tree for the achievement) and woah, lookit me flexin' dere. -.-

So, some considerations, in no particular order, and this is not a do-everything but just here-are-some-ideas:

1) Make the fight, well, not a straight-up fight. This would be good because the only way you can buff a boss like this, right now, is to: increase his health, increase his damage, increase his defenses.. and those are fine, except that mostly what they do is make him more tedious, because anyone that gets down there and is strong enough to face him in the first place can beat him. It just becomes a resources fight. No fun. So maybe something like nethack, where you have to get around and do a quest whilst being attacked by everything. Maybe you have to re-seal him by hitting some shrines/altars rather than simply getting his HP to 0 (or maybe you have to get it to 0, then do the shrines...)

2) Give him immunity to non-played traps on his floor. This could be tricky, code-wise, because you'd also have to make sure he didn't take damage if any of his buddies nearby stepped on a trap, also. Although to make Pandemonium REALLY challenging, you could just give that trap immunity to everything on the floor. (NOTE: make sure they can still take damage from player-set traps, including traps they pick up from Pandemonium and then set back down).

3) Have Dredmor teleport to attack the player, at random, anywhere on Pandemonium. Maybe it could be a "Dredmor Astral Projection" or something. It'd have a lot less health and attack power, but that way he could be safe and secure wherever and still be threatening you the whole time.

2. Greg72

Greg72 Member

SPOILERS

They need to fix monsters stepping on traps period, the ranged game is just silly easy.
    And dreadmor hardly lives up to his name, killed him in 4 melee rounds. He needs to be able to teleport to people or heal, or summon you to him/root/paralyze/silence, something not just be a walking goon with 600's hp

3. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

If he used that horrible wind damage over time spell on you at the start of the fight every time, he'd kick all our asses.

4. killington

killington Member

I have to disagree on all fronts. On my most successful character in permadeath (never got close to dying before him), a mage, i got to him and he cast whirlwind and lightning spells on me over and over. I was chugging potions, dispelling with wands/purity, and he gibbed me before I could even attack him. Making him harder would just make the game even more impossible than it already is.

I finally beat the game on Dwarven with no permadeath(got sick of never finishing the game, back to permadeath now). The only reason I beat him on Dwarven with no Perma is because i hoarded potions all game and just got ultra buff with like 3 regen items and chugged rejuvs if he ever got me low. I had two swords doing over 40dmg a piece and it still took me like 15 rounds of hitting to kill him, and I was like level 23 or 24.

I think he's at the right difficulty, but that just might be me.

5. Incendax

Incendax Member

Perhaps something right in the middle. For example, in order to defeat Dredmor you have to destroy the four altars on Dungeon Level 10 that are allowing him to escape his bonds, then lure him into stepping onto one specific square that will bind him again.

In this way, you can't even fight him. You have to lure him into a trap and survive long enough to do so.

6. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

I like the idea of destroying alters but... your asking us to mess with the already hard to follow AI Incendax. (I've never made it that far, sorry if he already has one..) I think he should have a throne room on one of the far sides of the floor, thats pointed out on the map so players dont accidentally stumble onto him too soon, and they have to explore the dungeon to find specific things to destroy that make him easier to fight and weaken him.

Edit: I should mention that before destroying the "objects", he would be stronger than he is currently, and then getting to his current state.

The objects could also be statues of Dredmor on the floor that are linked to him directly... and destroying the ones on his floor could have a different audio effect too.

7. killington

killington Member

@Incendax sounds like how you beat the last boss of Dungeon Master for the Amiga.

8. kbe

kbe Member

It's all luck, like Rikkard said if he stacked Arctic Vortex on you a couple times good luck, I barely survived and breezed through everything up to him.

I say it doesn't need to be harder just more interesting, right now it's kind of underwhelming.

9. Greg72

Greg72 Member

I just LOS'd him, knight leaped next to him and pressed his direction four times and he was dead. He did knock off around 50 hp though. My dmg was around 150-180+ if i counter attacked. Going rogue difficulty

10. Derp123

Derp123 Member

On one of my runs I tried to melee him. First turn he hit me for 54 damage. I decided to never go near him again. I killed him with spells or bolts/wands very easily multiple times without even taking damage. Out of four times he had time to cast a spell on me once and it was shroud of darkness. One bolt of mass destruction, one use of a tentacular wand and one average bolt was enough to kill him on rogue. So in my opinion he's too weak in ranged combat. I'd like it if he teleported next to the player with a few turns of invulnerability at least once during the fight.

To those who are having trouble with arctic vortex... hyperborean potion. Toque of Kanada. Grunge ear. Why are you even taking damage from this?

11. kbe

kbe Member

For one if you don't read the wiki you'd have no clue what spells he can cast or what to expect (note that info was just added). Also it's kinda hard to prep when you don't know what room he's in or if the next corner you turn he's there.

12. 123stw

123stw Member

I killed him with Sleep, Nerve Staple, and a Crossbow. Killing something that doesn't move is kinna easy.

Maybe he should have some % of stun/sleep block?

Edit: Funny thing is, even unconditional love works on him. Come on now, it makes no sense to have the last boss as a pet.

13. whoopsiedaisy

whoopsiedaisy Member

He's waaaaaaaay hard.
    I had to resort to elves/no perma, and even with really good armor and stats, he kicked my arse with that tornado spell that does stupid amounts of damage about four times before spamming Nerve Staple and melee actually got me anywhere.
    And on the subject of traps, to avert the problem, perhaps there could be a specially designed throne room placed somewhere in the tenth floor? One with no traps, and one that he could not leave (unless you want him chasing the player and possibly being led into trap-spam hell, that is).
    Dredmor in general needs a little spit-shining. He's a bit of a letdown, imo. We need more buildup! (see my throne room idea.)

14. Mephi-Dross

Mephi-Dross Member

I killed him twice now (same game though), and made a video of the second kill. And well... it was ridiculous. On my first try he hit me for half my health with his blizzard so it was a bit harder... but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jATyvfZpq7I

There you go. I locked him up 3-4 Turns before, but even after he got free again he didn't move at all.

15. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

He really needs to be immune to most status ailments and debuffs.

16. eisiger

eisiger Member

By the time I found him and tried to kill all of the guards around him, he died of some fire trap or something in 20 rounds. I didn't even target him, so that has to say something (the game glitched for one second and he actually came back to life before the endgame screen, so I thought that was cool and was about to fight him FOR REAL). I heard from somewhere else that some guy never even saw him and won the game out of nowhere.

Also, when I reloaded to fight him in different ways, he was a little pathetic at damaging me with spells and melee, but that's only because I was running the game as a tank with 36 magic resist, 40 armor and 70 block. I would assume a lot of other people who go full damage would get wiped a lot harder.

17. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

Traps seem to be a problem. Maybe give him "Flying" status? Any trap-focused build would likely have crossbows anyways.

18. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

I wouldn't say make him immune to debuffs, as that would render a lot of mage builds that didn't use Promethean magic useless.

19. EchoingZen

EchoingZen Member

I would hate to exclude traps as a method of killing him. If I focused my characters on making traps, I would hope I could do at least -something- to him.

20. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Spawn him in a room that is trap free, then he won't die prematurely and also trap builds can go in and use their creations.