Press + or - to make the animations go faster or slower, respectively. Repeatable.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by srulz, Jul 23, 2011.

1. srulz

srulz Member

Seriously, this is something that really should be highlighted. OMG SO SLOW animations almost "killed" this game for me, until I discovered this little gem.

BTW, to dev: please give us an option to just have no animations. We do appreciate the long hours that you must have poured into drawing the animations etc, but sometimes after seeing something for so many times, we just want to get on with playing. Thank you.

2. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

This would be the hidden speed up that they mentioned a little bit back. I found it a while ago, it's quite useful tbh, but I don't keep it fast all the time.

3. killington

killington Member

I wouldnt be playing still if it werent for 2x speed.

4. pebbie

pebbie Member

But it just not the animation speed, it just fasten everything. I have trouble moving with WASD even with 2x speed. I would appreciate it if it were no animation with normal speed.

5. Econael

Econael Member

Doesn't work for me :(

6. saturnine

saturnine Member

Apparently NumPad's + and - keys don't work. The regular ones, however, do. Just tested this out and it seems like it's going to shave off hours on tedious things. Thanks for the tip, OP!

7. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

Oh, wow.
    Thanks! Now I don't feel like killing myself using pets.

8. srulz

srulz Member

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Numpad's + or - keys don't work. Have to use the normal '+' on top of the '=' sign, if you are using the QWERTY keyboard.

And don't use WASD. Just use mouse to move. You'll never, EVER kill yourself due to traps, since you'll automatically path a movement to avoid them, or stop before hitting them if there are no other paths.

9. whoopsiedaisy

whoopsiedaisy Member

Thankee much, OP.

10. Bronze

Bronze Member

Thankee Sai!

uh yeah....too much Dark Tower.......

11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I don't see any problem with the speed of the animations in this game. 2x speed would make it a lot faster, but there's no really slow animations in this game. Could you please give an example. Because I honestly can't think of any slow animation that would be a problem to anyone.

I mean, I guess if you have some eye issues like me and some people I know have..but they don't bother me enough to speed it up.

12. srulz

srulz Member

DavidB1111:

You have to at least play as a melee, attacking one-on-one on lots of enemies, to understand the severity of this issue. Oh, and add in pets as well.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@srulz I do play as a melee build. I still don't see the issue. In fact, all my characters are melee based. Yet I've never come across slow animations or rather the need to increase the speed of animations. Perhaps it's a computer speed issue.

I hate pets, so I never use them. Perhaps I should try. But yeah, I've cleared out tons of monster zoos, and I've never once run across an animation that needs increasing.
    I'm thinking it has to be a computer issue then.

Because all the let's plays I've seen, while fighting zoos, I've never heard someone complain about the speed of the animation. They swing away just fine.
    Also, use @ and my name, or I won't see your post that fast.

14. srulz

srulz Member

@DavidB1111 Well, maybe it is a computer issue. I get slowdowns everytime the game change music, etc.

Or maybe because i came from a roguelike background, where you kill fast and die fast. This is just a low-priority issue, mind you. Lots of other much more important issues out there.

15. srulz

srulz Member

double-posted

16. srulz

srulz Member

triple-posted

17. Bronze

Bronze Member

@Srulz I get slow downs too whenever the music changes. Its like a mini stutter while the playlist kicks to the next track. Doesn't bug me much but I always think "don't lock up, don't lock up"

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@srulz I get slow downs when the music change happens too.
    As for roguelike background, um, I've played roguelikes since 1997. :)
    Trust me the animations here are fast. Angband/Adom/etc all have Ascii. It's not fair to compare a game with animation to them. That said, you don't play Angband at a fast pace. That leads to YASD. (Yet another Stupid death) :)

I thought you just wanted a fast paced gameplay. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but the game's animations are far fast enough for me.

To each his own, I suppose?

19. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

I use this for when I have to navigate to the other side of the map and stuff to explore some random unexplored area that I missed. And when I need to do that, shit feels so slow.