Cannot choose Difficulty.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by fifidong, Jul 23, 2011.

1. fifidong

fifidong Member

This bug is still present.
    Anyone with same issue?
    or know a resolution?

2. What happens exactly? You can't click the options? It skips the screen? I've never encountered this myself

3. afterstar

afterstar Member

Maybe if you provided more detail about the problem(screenshots are nice as well),we could help...

4. fifidong

fifidong Member

The difficulty screen shows up.
    When I click anywhere or type anything,
    it proceeds to Talent Selection screen.
    No choices can be made.
    Even pressing "Back" button at the difficulty does not work unless spammed continuously.

5. crazy-doc

crazy-doc Member

I'm having the exact same problem. A little bit disappointing that the game already has a bug right in the beginning when I bought the game.

6. sophidian

sophidian Member

same problem here. on Windows 7 64bit. it's very annoying.

7. Ratha

Ratha Member

Have you guys tried running the game in a window by chance? What resolution are you playing in, are you using any launch modifiers? What operating systems are each of you running, 32 or 64 bit? All those would be good details to provide to help the Devs figure out whats going on so they could duplicate the problem. Might also include processor type and graphics card if you can find that information.

8. satoru

satoru Member

Can you try this
    Go to "my documents\gaslamp games\dungeons of dreadmor"

Make backups of config.txt/config.xml

Delete config.txt and config.xml

Relaunch and test

9. fifidong

fifidong Member

64b windows 7 prof SP1 + windowed mode/full mode.
    proc 2600K + RAM 8g DDR3
    graphic nvidia 460

10. fifidong

fifidong Member

deleted and still issues.

11. sophidian

sophidian Member

on Windows 7 sp1, 64bit. it happens both on windowed mode or full screen mode. with no lauch modifiers (default from steam install). I'm playing in 1680x1050 when full screen, 1440*900 when windowed. Window language is Korean. Graphic card is nvidia gts250, driver is latest.

I tried what satoru said, ie. went to "my documents\gaslamp games\dungeons of dreadmor"
    and deleted every file there, then re-started the game. same problem happens.

I even changed steam installation drive c: to d: (so Dredmor is installed on d:). no changes. same problem on both hdd drive.

I wonder it's registry problem but..... I don't know how to fix it.

Pls solve this problem.

12. fifidong

fifidong Member

Found a work-around.
    if you want permadeath disabled,
    Click permadeath (which should do nothing but skip to next screen due to bug)
    Press escape key.
    Click perma-death, press escape key. Repeat fast, until it is disabled.

13. fifidong

fifidong Member

Windows language is Korean as well here.
    I guess it's the language setting.

14. sophidian

sophidian Member

@satoru there's no config.txt in my case. what I have in that folder are:

config.xml
    hiscores.txt
    loadsave.dat
    bitmap_autosave.sav
    last.txt
    bitmap_uhkjh.sav
    uhkjh.sav

15. crazy-doc

crazy-doc Member

win 7 64 bit
    tried both windowed and full mode
    my system spec is more than enough to run this game.
    Language setting: English.

16. satoru

satoru Member

Can you try verifying your game cache.

Right click the game in steam
    Select Properties
    Local Files tab
    Click "Verify integrity of game cache"

17. USMCKarl

USMCKarl Member

I'm actually having the same issue. My windows language is English, but I have the Korean language packs installed. I've tried everything that is listed in this thread, and still no change. I'm running Windows Vista Home.

18. USMCKarl

USMCKarl Member

Just wanted to follow up with this. If I do the click quickly and escape multiple times thing I can switch the difficulty. Obviously something is a little wonky with my computer, but if there is anyway this can be addressed I'd really love it!

My computer is a 3 or 4 year old Lenovo. It's a core 2 duo, about 1.8 ghz I think? With 1 gig of RAM and with an intel onboard GPU.

I've verified my game cache, deleted/reinstalled the game through Steam, deleted config.txt/xml, run the game in windowed mode, changed the resolution to everything I can, and tried it on my (Korean) netbook. I'm going to hazard a guess and say this problem is caused by having a second language pack installed in windows. I'll try to remove Korean from my home laptop and see if that is the problem, but it will have to wait until I get home from work.

19. crazy-doc

crazy-doc Member

I don't think it's the double language thing. I only have English installed as far as I know, and having the problem. I'm gonna check my language setting later when I get a chance. It's something on the game's end if multiple people are having the EXACT same problem. The only thing that works is clicking and pressing escape key really fast.

20. USMCKarl

USMCKarl Member

Yup, the escape thing works. The only problem is that when you are quickly escaping/clicking you tend to miss the switch to GR, which means you have to do it all over again. I realize the bug is low priority and that Gaslamp is swamped, but it is a bummer. However I can live with it cause DoD is that fun :)

fyi the dev is currently looking at this, but I'm sure it's super low priority because it does seem to be isolated to us 3-4 people here.