Mauled to death by diggles in two turns.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by JoeBidenInSpace, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Playing Going Rogue with permadeath on, I encountered a boss monster on floor one (Inconsequentia sidequest). After killing the monster with Necronomiconomics (the second skill, I forget the name, but it puts the enemy to sleep, and by the way I love this tree for single-target spells), two diggles spawned on either side of me and hit me multiple times per turn. I was at 17 health when they spawned, so naturally I dropped dead on the spot after swinging my staff once. Was this supposed to happen? Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious, but it seemed unavoidable, and I hadn't encountered anything like that before on floor one.

2. afterstar

afterstar Member

This is strange, normally the game will spawn mobs outside of your view area.
    As far as I know only quests trigger Boss and its mobs near you.

3. I think the boss spawned them on death since it was one of those "Kill the boss and his legion of henchmen" quests. But since I was in a narrow hallway, it might have spawned multiple diggles on top of each other in the two squares adjacent to me.

4. Hmm-Hmm.

Hmm-Hmm. Member

Yeah, that happens sometimes with (quest?)bosses. It's annoying the first time it happens.. all consecutive times you should know to prepare for it to happen (whether it does or not).

5. Daiug

Daiug Member

That happens sometimes.

The problem is, sometimes the mobs spawn all around you or just at the two sides but with multiple enemies on the same spot (and that's pretty much an istant death)

6. Bakyra

Bakyra Member

What joe biden said. The only shame is that they randomly spawned right on top of you :(

7. Wallach

Wallach Member

One tip that I don't think people realize - you don't have to be next to a monolith/eyeball shrine/mellow shrine to use an item on it. You can just drop the item on the shrine from any distance as long as the shrine is within your line of sight.

Also, if you don't have any abilities that move your character or knock enemies back, you should probably save Handy Wands for just such a purpose. Those will push everything around you back (if there's not something blocking it from doing so).