Any help with type="self" spells?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Willowblade, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Willowblade

Willowblade Member

Hello,

I started learning how to mod DoD this night, and have been busy with that since then. I can even tell my parents I'm studying for my programming exam next week, yay! I also bought a drawing tablet yesterday so I had a good reason to try that out too!
    Anyway, the first thing I wanted to do was make a small overpowered skill tree that I could use for testing my other skills, but then I found out about the debug mode and have changed it a bit.

But I've ran into a problem with the spell I would use to grant my hero a shitload of experience. The skill tree ends when the ability with the self spell is contained, so I know it's that spell.

I then changed it to heal but I still ran into the same problem.

Well this is the code for the spell, help would be deeply appreciated.

Code:
    <spell name="Enlightmentation" type="self" icon="skills/tiger32.png" wand="0" >
        <effect type="heal" amount="8"/>
        <description text="Yes, that's a word." />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="80" sfx="magic" centerEffect="0"/>
        </spell>
    My only source is the wiki and the spellDB database, together with mod excerpts from on here. Even when I take a working self spell as a template, I still encounter the same problem.

I commented out just about everything and tried it then but the spell still didn't come into my game. Are they broken or something? They can't be since the other mods are working fine?

Also, could I then recommend placing an example of a working type="self" spell on the DredMod wiki?

Thanks,
    Willowblade

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Ignoring than the fact your spell has neither cooldown nor mana cost (because I'm sure it's not necessary the way you want to trigger it), the one thing I can say about this is "upload the entirety of your mod's code".

This small fragment of code is just that, a fragment of code. Your problem might really be coming from any other place in the code (for some reason), so it's always preferable to upload the whole file (or two files, since "skillDB.xml" and "spellDB.xml" are kind of closely linked if it's about skills).

Also, you might want to take a look at Glazed's validator - it's a nice tool even for experienced modders, and as a beginner I'm pretty sure you'll get some use out of it.

3. zaratustra

zaratustra Member

Does the spell appear in the player's ability list when you get to that level in the skill tree?

4. Willowblade

Willowblade Member

The skill tree just ends where that skill should be. For example, when the spell would be used at level 2, you only see skills 0 and 1.

Oh wow, apparently I looked over > that should be />. Well this is lame. This is like that time I debugged my first Python program for hours while all I did was forget to change an i to j. Glazed, I love you, and your tools of supreme witchcraft.

Thanks for the help! Valuable lessons were learned.

5. zaratustra

zaratustra Member

If you open your xml file in any web browser, it should point out major XML errors immediately.