Anyone else drooling over the new Laundry Day...

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Patchumz, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

So yeah... anyone else drooling over the new Laundry Day blog post? That shit is so sexy, especially the balance changes. I am eagerly, yet patiently, awaiting the epic win that will be 1.0.4 and beyond.

(http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/2011/07/21/laundry-day/)

2. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

Get your cheating Archaeology Going Rogue runs in before 1.0.4 for the easy achievement ;)

3. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

These are, honestly, the best developers I've had the joy of working with (as they take a lot of our ideas into consideration).. but they should keep in mind that Multiple nerfs over and over tend to break things in games that listen to the community. Other than that, I had a smile creep across my face MANY times while going down the list.

4. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

They really should nerf the Obvious Fireball one more time - but by making it cost less and not have that deadly flame field effect. More things die to the flame field than anything else; a full hp enemy trying to walk through it will usually die.

Also, they need to boost the rest of the Promethian spells a little bit; Gog's Tactical Pyre and Rune of Exploding are good, but Dragon Breath simply does not scale at all and is nearly useless by level 3, and Infernal Torus is useless as far as I can tell. If Obvious Fireball gets nerfed, Promethian mages will have to rely more on those other spells.

5. Hmm-Hmm.

Hmm-Hmm. Member

We really need an Arch Diggle.

..apparently I need to improve my gaming skills. :) Working on it!

6. Jabe

Jabe Member

@Tacroy

Obvious fireball got pretty nerfed last patch. See http://www.gaslampgames.com/forum/discussion/comment/1994#Comment_1994
    I wouldn't be surprised if the fire field lost 1 base damage.

All of the wordF numbers are the magic power scaling factors.

7. MikeW

MikeW Member

Yes there looks to be a lot of stuff to be done, I think some of it will be in 1.0.5, unless @Nicholas just is that badass. I want to know more about this "patch test" thing, I like testing stuff ^^

8. satoru

satoru Member

I'm glad to see the warrior stats are being rebalanced. I think mages are going to have major issues once they no longer have 60 hp to buffer them.

If monsters can open doors... that's going to make a lot running screaming away strategies unviable!

Lord Dreadmor not 'badass enough'?!?! My bakers dozen of adventurers that pile up to make his current throne, footrest, and ottoman would disagree heartily :p More stun resistance too? Does Lord Dreadmor need more Rouge build trophy skulls? I have to finish my current game soon :)

I've never been a huge fan of the auto-rest function request for DoD. It 'sounds' good but it really has no negative balance. In Rouge/Nethack the hunger function balanced out the auto-rest. In DoD there is no corresponding balance. Just go back one level, rest, then go down again. It's basically a free heal/mp thing. Considering there's so much food and liquor (Diggles must really like picnics or something...) I'm a bit ambivalent to this request.

The AcidBolt trap nerf should address the current "Happy Dance" thread.

Zoos having artifacts is a nice touch. Certainly adds a much greater risk/reward function to them. I'm not sure about the 1 per level though. I somewhat like the 'risk' of not knowing if any given door is a zoo. Knowing there's only one per level seems to take away some tension in that. Personal preference mostly. Maybe just tone down the frequency rather than eliminating it totally.

9. Embolus

Embolus Member

I don't see why they should have any more issues than Warriors in their current state, considering Mages usually do not need to put themselves in danger to zap the enemy.

10. satoru

satoru Member

I think smithing needs some tweaking too. I'm not sure what though. It just seems more like a 'mid' game tool and really drops off in utility after that. I'm pretty much drowning in gold so buying better weapons/armour is usually not a problem by the time I can craft all the 'cool' weapons.

11. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@Jabe: look who posted that thread :)

12. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

I think it should be easier to find relevant recipes actually. That might help the later game with crafting. Finding recipes is extremely random and generally useless, as you find a lot of recipes you'll never be able to use (Other skills).

13. Embolus

Embolus Member

And considering the fact that recipes are, on the whole, for new players who do not yet know them (and the rare case when the same recipe produces different products), there really is no reason for them to be so fickle.

14. I think crafting skills should influence in some way the materials/recipes you find, or get a later level skill that lets you "spawn" a random ingredient or reroll one

15. glutamate

glutamate Member

Ditto on the recipe-finding - I think bookshelves should only spit out recipes for skills you have chosen. So no 4-Smithing armour recipes for my Alchemy mage.

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

How about this as an addition to everything else -- whenever you gain a level in a crafting skill, you randomly get one recipe for that level of experience. And maybe have your level of experience in a crafting skill increase the odds of receiving higher level recipes for that skill. There actually may be more of an incentive to maximize your crafting skill if you think there's a possibility of getting more useful recipes.

17. jareddm

jareddm Member

Getting a recipe when you up a crafting skill...I like it!

18. kbe

kbe Member

I don't think they need to increase the % of bolt recovery what they should do is make it so that all shots fired have the current % to be recovered and not just the kill shot.

19. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

@kbe They DEFINITELY need to change bolt recovery to an on-shot basis, and not on-kill, right now it's useless due to maybe needing 4 bolts to kill one guy, then a super low chance to get ONE of them back.

20. geddoe

geddoe Member

That patch is almost everything that is missing from the game for me. It was like reading someone's wishlist of what they would want in a patch as opposed to actual patch notes honestly. XD