Game flickers white

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by glutamate, Jul 21, 2011.

1. glutamate

glutamate Member

I keep getting a glitch where the entire screen flashes white, and the game locks up for a split second.
    Running windowed seems to reduce the frequency, as does disabling my 2nd monitor and closing as many backgroup apps as possible, but this could just be my brain's pattern-recognition playing up. The flash is bound by the game window, so it's not a monitor problem. I don't have this problem with any other game.

ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Intel Q9550
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7

Have tried turning off Smooth Scaling and playing at different resolutions. DirectX is up to date. Any help is appreciated.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Tested this on a 4870; can't reproduce. Anybody else seeing this one? How up to date are your Catalysts?

Exile likes this.
  3. glutamate

glutamate Member

Updated today. It seems to always coincide with a mouseclick or key press too, never seems to be when the game is idle.

4. Jabe

Jabe Member

Sounds like low memory/CPU and the game chugging to start processing again. Does this happen during continual play or after alt-tabs?

5. glutamate

glutamate Member

As soon as the game is started. Unless there's some serious leaks going on, I doubt it's because there's not enough RAM or CPU time - task manager shows it taking up a normal 346MB of RAM. I've tried setting the core affinity to 1 core also.

6. glutamate

glutamate Member

If I alt-tab and take focus away from the Dremor window, it flickers constantly until I alt-tab back.

7. I am having the same problem with my laptop/ATI card. Randomly when I click the game will exit to the desktop and I have to alt-tab back in to it. Also I notice that when viewing the desktop that the icon on the task bar (windows 7) keeps shifting back and forth randomly like something is happening with the display ingame.

8. This is the only game that does this so I know that it isint my computer chugging from CPU usage. Currently it is unplayable as it exits to the desktop so much =(

9. ATI 5650 with intel core i3 windows 7. Updated catalyst and all drivers, the problem is less frequent, but still happens at least once a minute, mostly when clicking dialog boxes.

10. glutamate

glutamate Member

Yeah, I get the sliding on the taskbar too.

11. Ratha

Ratha Member

For people who get minimized game problems, i dont remember which version it was offhand but an older version of AVG antivirus from last year used to minimize games whenever it started to do things, and sometimes just at random.

The flickering sounds like it could possibly be related to Anti Aliasing or Anisotropic filtering. Are you guys running in opengl / directx modes?

12. I think the flicker/icon moving/exiting to desktop is because the game, for a split second upon a mouse click, becomes "not responding" and then catches up again. This same problem happened when I downloaded an alpha version of terraria. It had all the exact same things occurring except more frequently and for a brief second would flash the "Program not responding" error box, but then go back to normal. Is there a way to delay windows from immediately assuming a game is not responding?

13. Tried to run the game windowed with the program "Shift windows" open but I still am having the same problems...Also I am sure the flashes are from the game getting the "not responding" error from windows, thats what the flash is, and happens when I am clicking and windows thinks I clicked the error box, which sends me back to the desktop where the message has disappeared since the game is responding again.

14. Nicholas

Rick, have you tried running with the -opengl command line parameter? I'm out of other ideas here; it might make life better.

Exile likes this.
  15. Nicholas

Also... hmm, okay, just read the other thing about things not responding. I have an idea, and will sneak it into the next patch. We'll see if it makes life better.

Exile likes this.
  16. Thank you so much for responding!

17. glutamate

glutamate Member

-opengl fixed it. Cheers!

18. glutamate

glutamate Member

Ok, somewhere between the new ATI drivers and the new patches since late August this is back. Running with the -opengl launch option through Steam.

also, the forum is really sweet now. Nice.

19. glutamate

glutamate Member

Ok, was wanting to play after I the DLC, so after a lot of trial and error, I found that one thing fixed it: Running the game from the Windows 7 Administrator account. Very confusing, but hey, it's working properly!