Battle Librarian Skill Set (In Progress)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bnips, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bnips

Bnips Member

Just now dipping my virgin toes into the murky waters of modding, wish Aquaman had finished his tool for skill sets already (I have faith it'd fill me with confidence and I'd pour out many a set if it was out).

Here is what I'm working on, its intended as a book based weapon skill set (all stats are intended as per book equipped like other weapon trees). Currently I want to brain storm at least once more skill and insert it somewhere near the middle of the skill set (likely between Dummies Guide and Fling some Knowledge). I'm worried I may be too generous with the stats (initially I thought that their oddball diversity and lack of strong damage bonuses helps control this but I'm worried the ability to AOE proc book effects, and proc book effects from range is powerful enough I need to reel it in). Also I'm a bit worried about the Dummies guide skill, like many others I was trying (rather hamfistedly I admit) to allow crafting oriented characters to manufacture the hidden crafting recipes without needing the secret god's help. Here is where i'm at, advice is welcome (whether in terms of modding or in skillset design):

Battle Librarian - (Description)

You get bonuses and special attacks when engaged in battle of words, assuming those words are bound into a thick tome that can be swung easily.

Starting Item 1x Little Black Book

Literacy-

You can read, or at least do a good enough job of pretending to be able to read so that you fool the illiterate diggles, robots, and demons that want you dead.

Dungeoneer's Book Club-

You have now mastered the most critical technique to utilizing the written word, a strong over the head swing with a firm grip. Just watch out for reader's elbow.

Stats-

2 Crushing Damage

2 Block

Bibliophiliac-

You have taken your love of words to new scary and unholy places. Most people, monsters, and undead know well enough to steer clear of you at first look, but hey at least you still have your books... your pretty pretty books.

Stats-

1 Life Regen

1 Mana Regen

2 Existential Resistance

Spell-

Share the Love-

Hits all 8 tiles surrounding you for 2 Necromatic Damage and 0 Crushing Damage (with 1 per Melee Power). This attack has a chance to generate the book effects of all equipped books on each target hit.

Dummies Guide to Dredmor-

Most people are content to learn basic life skills as necessary, but not you. You know there is a book for that, a poorly worded, overly long book that will leave you with nothing more than a beginners concept of how to do something.

Stats-

1 Smithing

1 Tinkering

1 Alchemy

Fling Some Knowledge at Them-

Much like the more widely known technique of dropping some knowledge except it involves more upper body strength, a wide arc, and good aim.

Effect-

Your crossbow bolts, and thrown weapons can now trigger effects from any books you have equipped as if they were melee attacks.

Meta-textual Hero-

Your book based heroics have gone beyond reading about heroes, dungeons, and liches to actually exploring dungeons and battling liches. Luckily along the way you have been imbued with a sense of immortality that may allow you to just scrape out of any adversity and see your quest to its end (that and chances are good you will find true love and become the subject of a book later).

Stats-

2 Armour Absorption

5 Dodge

10 Magic Resistance

Aquaman likes this.
  2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

A number of these ideas are not possible at the moment (or at least not without some silly hacks). That said, I'd love a skillset like this as Tome-wielding Unarmed is my favorite kind of build.

Other ideas:
    • Paper Cut
      • Bleed proc
    • Wall of Text
      • Like Unliving Wall but creates a Bookshelf (and is different in execution somehow e.g. corpses, templates, etc)
      • Technical limitation: Bookshelf will be non-functional.
    • Some kind of 'identify item/monster' joke
      • You could use the new consume item types for this. Something like a buff when you consume a piece of armour that'll give you 2 points of random resistance. E.g. you're reading about the history of the armour and how it survived some historic attack.
      • Maybe something similar for weapons?

3. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Please make sure you put a WH40K reference in here somewhere. Doesn't have to be actual psyker powers. Perhaps just starting the character with a staff or something. Or some jokes.

4. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

I love the concept of your mod. Would this be like a weapon/shield skillset? as in the skills revolve around using tomes? Like little black book and such?But focused on the offensive?
    Or more like Promethean magic with lore based on tomes rather than fire and lots of spells!?
    ok-thats what I get for skimming and only reading skill functions/descriptions re-read it and i get it more
    But I have to ask-- is it the tomes that cast the spells or the skills?

It could be interesting if the skills gave you a tome item in your inventory and it is the tomes that the stats and spells are on/cast from.

This would also make it a really diverse build depending on what tomes you decide to have your character wearing as it would change the benefits of said tomes

I'm thinking that's what you are saying but i may just be a bit confused :confused:

---ok, in my defense to the skill creator... :cool: ----
    Ive already started creating the skills creator...I'm just very busy these next few weeks preparing for some pretty big tests.
    (Planning at least-it is not in a coding stage yet...I need a general concept done so that I have an achievable goal in sight) That also helps keep me focused on what I'm doing....It's way to easy for me to get an idea and get sidetracked so I try and write the ideas down and get to them later :p

There is just so many things that it would need in order to be beneficial, and the item creator isn't quite where I want it to be yet either.(Regrettably I messed up how things save pretty badly in an attempt to make it more user friendly(Only on the unreleased version) It just is harder to save and load--more confusing than it should be)

5. Aegho

Aegho Member

Am I the only one who when reading the post title thought this was going to be a
    affair.

Video chosen for visual effect not for the music... I just needed a good example of what I was talking about.

6. It would be nice if it let us learn random recipes. For example, have one level with a reasonably high CD active (say ~250) teach you one recipe. It should not be better than actual bookshelves - i.e. it should have the same chances of not learning anything of interest. But the general idea is to have a way to balance off the fact that since they added megacrafts, it's hard to find the item you want in shelves.

7. Aegho

Aegho Member

What ever happened to this skill? I thought it had potential. Maybe there was no solution to the knowledge flinging skill? In any case if it's abandoned I might work on something like it.

8. Bnips

Bnips Member

By all means have at it. Frankly as much as I like Dungeons of Dredmor and have ranked up plenty of time playing it (current Steam says 273 hours though admittedly that seems a touch high), I got bored with it again and moved on to other things.

As to the Read or Die, I wasn't thinking of that explicitly when i proposed this but I can think of plenty of Anime with similar characters, I just wanted a weapon set for the new book items. I enjoyed that series (or at least the first Ova which is all I think I've seen), also enjoyed the Mystic Archives of Dalaran and A Certain Magical Index.

As to a WH40k reference, I planned for the skill icon to be the bushy browed protagonist in a WH40K inspired robe with the Book icon thing coming off his back much like the librarians such as the ( found image for reference: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ce.../s400/Space+Hulk+Librarian+finished+front.jpg) .

9. Are you familiar with Ragnarok Online? There is a kind of wizard called Sage that can be build as a Battle Sage, it attacks physically with books in hand and each attack have the chance of unleashing lighting, fire and ice over the enemy.