How To Force Kicking A Door?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by NefariousKoel, Jul 21, 2011.

1. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Is there a way to force your character to kick a locked door, even when they have some lockpicks?

They picks are so few, I end up using most of them on doors ..when they can just be kicked. I'd rather save the lockpicks for chests.

If it's not in, I'd like to see it soon. A Shift-click on doors or something?

2. Hmm-Hmm.

Hmm-Hmm. Member

Simply drop them on the floor whenever you encounter a locked door.

3. kbe

kbe Member

I'd actually like that as well for runs without Burglary. *edit* Hmm-Hmm, good suggestion lol, though wouldn't hurt to have a key combo though.

4. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

LOL, well dropping your stack of picks on the floor is a work-around, sure. Bit of a pain too, but thanks. I'd like to see a hotkey combo sometime, however.

5. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Dropping them on the floor is too much of a pain, we really need a force kick option (I like shift-click or right click myself).

However, dropping them on the floor when you encounter a locked door takes longer than necessary, since locked doors are more common than locked chests. I keep my lockpicks in a useless crafting item (like the grinder or the still if I'm not playing an alchemist), and put them in my main inventory when I stumble across a locked chest. The PC will only use lockpicks from his main inventory, so it works well; I've got about 150 on dungeon level four.

6. Bakyra

Bakyra Member

If they add a force kick, you may as well remove locked doors alltogether. They would be pointless.

7. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Why? If you kick a door down, it's gone - you can't use it to block mobs any more. It's a tradeoff, but one that normally goes in the chesty direction.

8. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Also.. you waste time and some small amount of damage when you kick them. There's already penalties for kicking doors.

An interface annoyance shouldn't be considered a viable penalty here, when some exist within the game mechanics already.

9. Bakyra

Bakyra Member

you are not comparing the chance of not closing a door versus not destroying the item in a chest, are you. The fact is that the penalties are greatly imbalanced, and thus the reason you want to spend 0 lockpicks on doors. Am i right?

10. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

What more is there to say? We can avoid being forced to use lockpicks on doors as it is right now.

Sometimes I use picks on doors if I think there's a large group of monsters in it, because they hear you kicking the door and will be all lined up against it, within melee range, when it goes down.

But if I'm low on picks? Yeah, I'll drop the stack out of my bag, kick the door in, kill stuff, and pick them back up.

Kicking a door is part of the game. Why not make it a key command? We can already do it.

11. Ratha

Ratha Member

No one has mentioned that you also get experience for picking doors. So 'some experience, now' for picking the lock might also be worthwhile to a player and offset this perceived imbalance. Not to mention that i believe kicking the door has more chance of waking up a monster, but am not certain.

Penalties for picking a door:
    Less lockpicks for chests / less items gained.

Penalties for kicking a door:
    Cannot close door.
    Damage to health.
    Less experience gained early game.
    May wake up sleeping monsters or attract a swarm to be waiting at the door?

Either way, hopefully the Devs can give us an option to either force a kick, or force a pick. And if they do, hopefully they will let us re-bind the key, or set which we want the default behavior to be. 'always use picks as default' or 'always kick chests and doors by default' with the modifier key used to switch that behavior.

12. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Yes, kicking the door definitely wakes nearby monsters.

Not only that but they will come after you ,before the door is even opened, if you're within their detection range. So when you kick the door in, there are often a few of them lined up against it and already in attack mode.

There are plenty penalties for kicking doors, so I think arguments against a "kick door" hotkey just don't hold up.

13. Tayrtahn

Tayrtahn Member

From http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/2011/07/21/laundry-day/

"Add a way to force your player to kick down a door or a chest, rather than using a lockpick."

Planned!

14. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Yep, saw that. Thanks!