Saved at Death

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by razmeth, Jul 21, 2011.

1. razmeth

razmeth Member

Apparently I went to save my game and I immediately died due to a buff wearing off. I now load the game and immediately die from a buff wearing off. This just killed my character and the nearest autosave was a while back on a previous level. I just lost the very nice sword I'd gotten as a quest reward and 2 levels of xp. Is there any way to save this character? If not, these daily bugs are driving me nuts, I'm just going to wait a month till this game gets sorted. Thank you for any response.

2. kbe

kbe Member

Doesn't sound like a bug to me.

3. nickwolf

nickwolf Member

what does it sound like? TIME TO START A NEW CHARACTER!!!

4. geekrichieuk

geekrichieuk Member

It kills me to say this but this probably isn't a bug, but in this instance if you can get one a save-state-hack or trainer I doubt anyone would blame you. Just dont ruin the game for yourself by keeping the cheats on if you find any.

Othernote - Surely you have 1 turn before you kark it, got no Rejuv or Health pots?

5. kbe

kbe Member

He saved just before dying, it sounds like he just screwed himself. If it's a bug with the buff it would be smart to explain it a bit better maybe than Gaslamp could fix it.

Just saying he doesn't explain the "bug" very well.

6. razmeth

razmeth Member

Not given 1 turn, just instant death. I'm not sure what's unclear, I have no idea what the buff is, the only reason I even know it is a bug is due to it saying that is what killed me on the final screen. I was fine and not moving when I saved the game, yet soon as it finished saving and as soon as I load now, instant death scene.

Can anyone suggest a save-state-hack or trainer and where to find it? I'd just like to cheat this death and then continue on my way.

7. kbe

kbe Member

On the final screen exactly what does it say?

8. Baris_Dogan

Baris_Dogan Member

I've also saved at Death ><

As soon as i load my game i get the game over screen (tombstone) and "due to an debuff wearing of" im on level 7 and have 2 swords with like 10+ buffs each.

really want some help to "fix" this, heck even considering character editing (a few steps back, dont wanna cheat at this awesome game).

9. razmeth

razmeth Member

"Razmeth2 the Fencer
    from a buff wearing off."

Honestly a simple "cheat" to just keep this character from being dead/dieing would be awesome. I find it extremely frustrating that the game is saved at a point where the character is for all intents and purposes permadead. I turned off permadeath for a reason (it's not my type of fun).

10. Abominog

Abominog Member

I've had same problem - instant death on save - if you still have your save I can fix for you like I did mine if your not familiar with a Hex editor.

11. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Yeah, definitely not a bug.
    Just as the game says, you died because your buff wore off.
    Unfortunately for you, you happened to save just before death. So yeah, you're screwed.

In future, try to make sure you're not on death's door when you save.

12. Baris_Dogan

Baris_Dogan Member

@Abominog If you'd be willing to hex edit my save game just to give my character 10 or 20 health so that I can load my save game and get on with it that would be awesome!

How can I contact you ? (steam handle?)

13. Abominog

Abominog Member

@BarisDogan check your inbox on this forum

14. Daimones

Daimones Member

It's possible it is a bug, even though I also initially thought it wasn't. It's possible he has an item equipped which grants him health. If this is true and for whatever reason the save file actually loads the character THEN equips the weapon, it could be killing him by losing that health.

15. Sir_Markus

Sir_Markus Member

This isn't really a bug, but for the game to allow you to save when you're already dead (or doomed) and don't have a couple of moves to use items to save yourself, it really isn't fair, IMO. I think this game is special, but I don't like the fact that one can lose a character like this.

16. Abominog

Abominog Member

My saved Death was different as my char was saved with no health without the death flag in the save - so loading that save up sent my PC into meltdown as the game froze totally.

Anyway if it happens to you check these images on how to fix.
    Search for your Chars name and count 21 bytes after your name ( not sure if this is constant though) 01 = Dead 00 = Alive
    http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae146/Abominog_2010/Private/death1.jpg

Next your Chars health.
    look down the page a little and you see a Row of 6 X 64 or d in ascii - count back up from 1st Byte before the 1st 64 72 Bytes - the 72nd is your Current health and would most likely be 00 as show in image.

This is your Current health as shown by your health bar the Max health bit if I'm correct is further down the page so don't go mad and stick a high Value in current health

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae146/Abominog_2010/Private/death2.jpg

17. Sir_Markus

Sir_Markus Member

Abominog: What hex editor are you using? I just had the same 'death upon loading' problem arise again, and I probably should just learn how to fix this myself if it's going to happen more than once.