Easy mod generator

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by indelacio.co.uk, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Could have a more clever brand name, and you could sell it.
    Basically you could have a skill tree creator which Im sure would be easy to use like a pulldown tab of skills for each level and you upload your jpeg location and then save the mod etc. Obviousely more ambitious mods would be left to people who can use the programming etc but a user friendly mod generator for this would be simple enough for someone with the right skillset to design Im sure.

Also there could be a enemy generator, where you create the jpeg sets for the individual moves required, moves and attacks, with enemies its far less than the hero so Im sure this would be easy enough to do, you could choose if it is ranged or close as its specialty, the hostility level, the levels for each of its attack types and damage it performs, setting its defence and the floor it spawns on etc, Im sure someone could work out all the individual niggles neccissary to make a GUI mod generator for both of these, if someones ambitious enough they could possibly even create a room generator or item generator to make easy quick mod generation and as stated if gaslamp wanted to do it themselves they would even be able to sell it as DLC which people would Im sure pay for simply because it would make it easy and quick to generate and incorporate mods which Im sure would lack code conflicts purely by its nature.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

To be honest, I don't really see the point of that. Unless you want to create really complex skill trees, even for someone who is a beginner when it comes to XML it's the art that takes the most time. And people who have no experience with modding this game won't be able to create complex skills either way because without delving into the code, they'll know nothing about the limits. The same thing applies to monsters; unless you are creating something innovative, a simple copy-paste-edit routine will suffice, and even a beginner can do it if he has the ability to learn (aka. "gain knowledge based on observations", in this case); sprites, on the other hand, always take some time to create, even if the amount of time decreases as you gain skill.

That, and I'm kind of sceptic towards anything that would allow people who know absolutely nothing about modding to create mods. Because unless they really are interested in creating a mod for the explicit purpose of creating a mod (and not to "show off"), in which case they would spend an hour to learn the basics of XML to know what they are doing, they are unlikely to play-test their creations balance-wise. And I'd rather have 4~5 good mods than 40~50 horribly unbalanced ones.

Your basic idea is good, though; Aquaman's item creating little program is an example of such a thing and I think that as a tool to create *minor* mods, it does have its place.

3. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

TL;DR - no seriously - 1 full stop in 9 lines is not sufficient to make any reliable sense - even the 4 lines you wrote as a warmup were too much in one go. Use full stops and it will be much more decipherable

4. Lol, I guess its just the way ive been taught, rather than work in xml sql etc with databasing things Ive been taught to create a user friendl interface and its kinda stuck with me as Ive grown up, and while I would be interested in making the odd quick mod for myself I wouldnt be interested in sitting and hand coding my own gui or going through all the sql to do it, so it would appeal to me as a casual quick mod generator and Im sure it would appeal to others, as stated not really something for the serious modders, but would allow casual integration of things for people who want to do something quick and easy not too complex.

And as stated I think it would be for people to create thier own personal mods I dont expect anything of this quick and easy sort to be shown on the mod base to be given away here, more personal mod generation. But I guess that there is the possibility some people may abuse it and think they've made something awesome to show off when its just something created in 2 minutes with the generator and I do agree with your no 40-50 terrible mods but I didn't consider the sharing aspect.

And yeah maybe he could integrate it to be able to have similar things for all aspects, again people who want to share anything should hand code it from scratch, but for the simple easy user friendly personal modification I think an all encompassing tool such as this would be ideal.

5. Lol that is a good point. Saying that when I get into a rant this is kinda how I speak in reality too... without stopping lol.

6. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

I want you to take a quick look at my sig. Now I forgive you for not looking around that hard but that's ok. ;)
    Because like you, I feel the exact same way, xml is not "FUN" to create mods with (at least for me) so I have been doing exactly (or very close to) what I believe you are requesting. :cool:

Think of it as an IDE for Dungeons of Dredmor mod making. Instead of coding something in Binary, you use a language to make things easier and compile for you. Same goal for this instead of xml, I use a mod creator. That is what I am creating(In a way).

Skills-Sprites-Crafting-Monsters-Spells are all things I am wanting to make my creators for.

As it is, the item creator can do nearly everything any1 programming in xml can do. And my next update plans to add the addition of spells and a fix to thrown weapons along with some other changes to already implemented functions.

These won't be made to pump out fast, shallow mods(Although it can, and people could). I am creating these with the intention to fully replace coding in xml. These are being made for my personal use and preference, therefore I want them to be as complete as possible. (Easier said than done) However they also allow direct xml editing to make minor tweaks and/or mod things that the program can't mod yet.