Items Descriptions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mike2003, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mike2003

mike2003 Member

Why i cant see normal desription of potions, mushrooms and some etc?? its very ugly!

some example from wiki:
    Grows in muck and often mistaken for its medium.
    ------
    Adds debuff Unpleasant Poison which lowers health by 5 and health regeneration bonus by 2. Lasts for 30 turns.

No reason to read the first version!!! Player must receive full information about gameplay in the game! not alt+tab to browser, go to wiki, search, read, go back....

2. Rainlicker

Rainlicker Member

Agreed , I love the comedy but sometimes you really need to know what it does. Maybe after the 1st use it has a description

3. Jabe

Jabe Member

I'll point out that Rogue-like games are known for being hard, dying multiple times, and trial by error. You're supposed to try everything and learn from it.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It was actually worse with Rogue and it's followers -- for example, in one play through, the red potion would increase your strength, but in a second play-through, it might make you blind, or poison you, or cause you to hallucinate (boy was that fun). Sometimes you'd have to simply guess what something did, if the effects were not obvious. You might get a cryptic message when you tried out a new item. If you were lucky, you'd find a bunch of identify scrolls early-on, otherwise it was trial and error, with a whole lot of, occasionally deadly, errors.

5. mike2003

mike2003 Member

"Maybe after the 1st use it has a description"
    +1

I like to play and know how to play!
    or may be create some "Very strong sword" or "Axe of knockback" without normal stats description?

6. Pecka

Pecka Member

Also crafting recipies should be memorised after you find them the first time i think, since as far as i know you don't need a recipe to craft something.

EDIT: Read Haldurson's post, i realise that the old rpg's and roguelikes relied a lot on you guessing, you drawing your own maps and you writing down your discoveries and findings, pen and paper were part of the game, but now with internet and wikis it doesn't really make much sense to strive for that kind of experience.

7. DFrost

DFrost Member

Sometimes in roguelikes there were skills designed to identify the use of items like potions, because their effects were not always the same on each playthrough. I think this should be an ability applied to Archeology or something, though the items don't change their effects during different playthroughs... yet. You never know.

8. mike2003

mike2003 Member

what developer thinks about that?

9. Hmm-Hmm.

Hmm-Hmm. Member

I don't know.. the game is already rather easy for a roguelike (sure, that's relative). If you know what every potion and mushroom does.. the game immediately becomes a lot less challenging.

10. mike2003

mike2003 Member

and whats "challenging" in periodicaly crash gameplay "alt+tab" to wiki?