Clearing the high scores on a Mac w/ Steam

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Jeffwik, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Jeffwik

Jeffwik Member

Hello! So I introduced my wife to Dredmor, and she played it for a while and then we got her a separate copy on her computer. But while she was playing it on my computer, she wasn't playing with permadeath on and, long story short, my hiscores table has eight listings for the same character now, which I find aesthetically displeasing. I rooted around on my harddrive and found a hiscores.txt file (I may have the name slightly wrong) I deleted, but it came back. I even tried removing all local content for the game through Steam and reinstalling, but no luck. All the discussion I can find online for clearing the high scores is in Windows, and suggests that all I need to do is delete the text file but, like I said, when I do that and run the game again the high scores table is unaffected and if I look in the folder again afterwards the text file is back. So, any suggestions? Maybe I just fail at deleting, I used to use Windows exclusively until fairly recently and I'm not fully up on the Mac OS.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That's really strange and now it bugs me too. The text file should be all you need, but if you completely uninstalled and reinstalled then it's crazy that it would still be there...

3. Jeffwik

Jeffwik Member

I also note that the entire Users/Jeffwik/Library/Application Support/Dungeons of Dredmor/ folder (which is where the deleted or edited hiscores.txt is located and where it reverts to the old version whenever I delete it or edit it) gets its "date modified" updated to whenever I launch the game, even the savegames, which seems weird. I'm wondering if there's another file squirreled away on the HD somewhere? Or maybe this is the mysterious Steam Cloud I've heard them talk about so much lately?

4. Its a steamcloud bug.. open the game, while the games open edit notepad, save, close the game.. it will update the steamcloud with your new edited table of scores.. thats how I did mine.

FaxCelestis likes this.
  5. Jeffwik

Jeffwik Member

Hmm, you're probably right about it being Steam. I've tried saving an edited version of the file while the game is open, then closing the game, but Steam (I assume) overwrites it with the old version when I open the game again. But clearly it's a Steam bug of some kind.

6. Jeffwik

Jeffwik Member

Well, I figured this was something I could live with, but today it happened again -- only instead of my high scores table getting reverted to an older version, my savegames were, causing me to roll back from level 11 all the way to level 3.

Not great.

7. Steamcloud downloads upon opening and uploads upon closing, sounds like theres a problem with your uploading synch if deleting while the game opened didnt work and also its not uploaded your latest save upon closing the game so thats a technical issue to report to steam.