Windows XP Save games cannot be deleted outside of game

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by DavidB1111, Apr 11, 2012.

1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay, probably not the biggest bug ever...
    But I wanted to start over, mostly fresh, and delete my save games.
    However, they keep coming back every time I load the game.:eek:
    I disabled Steam Cloud support, because I thought that caused it, but they still magically respawn from thin air.

I have managed to delete a few from in game, but my mouse occasionally acts schizophrenic, and clicks twice when I click once, and loading a game from version 1.04 is not good. :)
    Also, I can't even scroll using the mouse wheel, because Dungeons of Dredmor crashes after a moment.

OKay, I may have solved this issue, closing Steam, loading up Dungeons of Dredmor, and deleting all the saves in game again, might have solved it.
    OKay,Even removing Steam, turning it off, deleting the save games inside of the game, restarting Steam,. with Steam CLoud disabled, makes the save games magically reappear! What kind of wizardly is this?!?!

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The saves are kept locally, near your original mod folder. So disabling anything from Steam won't help - you need to either delete the saves from inside the game, or find the right folder (it's the one where mods are kept, minus the "mods" part [so one directory higher]) and delete the save files there.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I did delete the save games in the right folder. And they reappear every single time I load the game. Without fail.
    They only go away if I delete them from within the game.:eek:

I know the right folder, I have deleted every save file in that folder except for my current save at least 5 times now. No, I'm not joking, I literally have deleted them all 5 times.
    And they always come back. So, it has to be on Steam's end.

OKAY Finally got it!
    I finally managed to delete them all from within the game, but that's the only possible way to ever delete them. They keep coming back without fail if you delete them off the hard drive. I even emptied the Recycling bin, and they came back.
    And that's with Steam Cloud being disabled.
    It's indeed a mystery.

Because that means not only are they not stored only locally, but they would also come back even if you reformatted your hard drive. :eek: Or even on another hard drive, on a different computer.

4. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

Did you try loading any of the saves that were reappearing? I think in addition to your individual save files, there's a file containing the list of all your saves. If your deleted saves were still in that list, they'd still appear when you run the game, but they wouldn't be loadable.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I don't know, I managed to remove the unnecessary save files on my first try when I did it by deleting files. So perhaps you are right about Steam doing something with that (when I did it, I was using a non-Steam version I got from HIB).

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

That's the thing, all those save games were so old, that they wouldn't be loadable anyway, and besides, why would a file on the hard drive containing a list, magically recreate the save games from scratch, code and all, even after deleting them? It is a mystery.

And thanks to Kazeto for putting up with my insanity.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If it happens again, try deleting them from the outside then running DoD without Steam open and let us know if they reappear.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay. I'll let you all know if that happens, even though it might not be for awhile.

9. I would say with the steam cloud ON open the game, while the games still open delete the saves then close the game and it should update the steam cloud and delete the saves off the cloud.