Unarmed art with vampirism, little bit op?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by ArchoX, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ArchoX

ArchoX Member

I am now on lvl 3 with random skills(unarmed, vampirism, burglary, archery, psionics, promethean magic and deadshot) and medium difficulty without any problems and you know why? Because i get hp from enemies and thats the point. Without vampirism i was dying on level 2 or on starting level 3 because i am without food. Have someone here has this problem too or thats just my problem?

2. Tekvorian

Tekvorian Member

unarmed + 2 shields on each hand + vampirism + fungus (just in case) => only stupid mistakes can kill you now. Throw in also archeologist for tweaking your artifacts to the ones you like => no need for any crafting skills.

3. afterstar

afterstar Member

Unarmed is amazing because it has two knockback abilities,the stats increase both melee(thrown) and ranged damages but it's hard to increase your melee damage a lot when you are towards the final levels,because shields usually don't have extra damaging stats.

Having said that however, having unarmed is an amazing way to make a tanky character,because you can yield 2 shields,not to mention its great to have if you are going for an archer type character, it synergises very well with archery.

If you like hard hitting characters later on then unarmed is not the way to go,because late weapons can give up to +20dmg each, dual yielding them will give a whooping +40 and more.

4. ArchoX

ArchoX Member

Yeah vampirism with unarmed is "little" bit op. Monster zoo - i kill all just staying on one spot. If i dont have vampirism i need replenishing hp with food and its little bit harder. Vampirism maybe inst op but unarmed with vampirism doing really strong combo.

5. abomination5

abomination5 Member

Why is unarmed better than swords? You can get massive damage boosts using a good sword even without enchantments.

6. ArchoX

ArchoX Member

I take back everything. I died on level 7 by monstrous mask.... level 7 monsters hitting me for like 2-13. And i have 63 hp. So maybe it isnt op at all.

7. afterstar

afterstar Member

I'm at level 8 using unarmed, all the monsters physical attacks have no effect on.
    I have 70block chance and 22Absorption, making me worry only for magical damage but level 8 is full of physical damage only.
    The kick ability does amazing extra damage.

8. ArchoX

ArchoX Member

I maybe died because i just went to level 5 and immediately to level 6 and then 7 because i was bored just kicking everything without any problems. :eek:

9. Solstice

Solstice Member

In my last game I powered through the first six floors as a vampire (mace+dw), and then I ran into a zoo filled with baby dragons. I took two steps and died from their combined shots. Owch.

10. Incendax

Incendax Member

Vampirism really runs out of gas around floor 8, 9 and 10. It generally cannot keep up with enemy damage output and you have to rely upon getting lucky with enemy choices or you will constantly have to go back to earlier levels to farm health.

However, it does absolutely destroy the middle game levels of 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

11. mwoody

mwoody Member

Unarmed doesn't improve ranged damage. Well, it doesn't improve crossbow damage; I haven't tested thrown. It just looks like it does on the character screen, but if you watch the damage you do to enemies, it won't include the extra crushing.

12. mwoody

mwoody Member

Also note that vampirism has a bug (possibly; it does sort of fit the theme) where if you attack a live enemy on a stack of corpses, you drain life from the entire stack. So it's very effective versus, say, monster zoos.

13. ArchoX

ArchoX Member

mwoody: If u have psionics u can heal yourself with crystals so no going back ;), but its not that great in combat.

mwoody2: If this is really bug i know why the monster zoo is so easy with vampirism :p

14. velz

velz Member

If you think this build is OP, apparently no one here has yet tried Promethean mage with blood magic, ley walker, and magic training. Nothing like standing outside a monster zoo and just launching unlimited fireballs because your magic is so powerful it kills everything in 2 hits and replenishes your mana to full.

15. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

I find all offensive builds pale in comparison to Promethean Magic.
    Melee starts dying at floor 5 where corruption starts, and then floor 7 has those super strong blue guys that brutalize you.

16. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Rikkard Depends on your melee build. I put together a critical hit/proc build that one shots those blue guys. Heck, at dungeon level 10 I still one shot about half the enemies. The other half tend to get counter attacked (a coincidence, since the same stat governs critical hits and counters).

17. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

I literally did a crit/proc run yesterday. Got countered by the blue guy and then he hit me back. Died in 1 turn by two hits of 35, no chance to heal.

18. Incendax

Incendax Member

With 20ish Armor Resistance they only hit me for 11, and I had about 60 HP when I first encountered them. Why are you dying so easily?

19. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

I had maybe 10 absorption. I wouldn't wear anything that reduced magic since vampirism depends on it, and the astrology proc isn't anything to laugh at.
    Are you playing on easy or something?

20. Incendax

Incendax Member

Nope, Going Rogue. Of course, choosing to favor Magic Power over Absorption when fighting Big Blues is probably what got you killed. They do quite a bit of damage if you don't defend against their damage type. You should probably keep spare sets of equipment for dealing with the different enemy types.