Best Place To Buy Dredmor (And Support GLG)

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Loerwyn, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

This is something I thought about this evening due to the patch on Steam, and I thought it'd make a good discussion.

Where would be the best place to buy Dredmor, both in terms of user-friendliness and support for GLG?

I'm guessing Desura is, financially, but you're still tied to their patching system and there's no RotDG yet.
    Gamefly currently has a problem with RotDG, and again, tied to a client.
    Steam is... Steam. Controversial for some, great for others. I'm nonplussed.

With no appearance on GamersGate or GOG, there's no client-free way to buy it (I think), which I find a little sad. It'd be good if there was a version where GLG had proper control over the patching (i.e. they release it themselves and also host it), and if something went wrong a hotfix could quickly be deployed.

Also; what would support GLG more? A Dredmor t-shirt or a repurchase of the game? :D

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The Desura standalone version is actually available now, on both windows and linux. No need to download the client anymore. I have absolutely no idea what kind of cut Desura takes out of those transactions though, compared to Steam. But that's probably the way I would go. (or buy gift copies for friends on Steam)

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I see. Desura may be where I get it, but I might wait for RotDG first.

I looked up the shirts. $37 shipping to the UK for one t-shirt (that's twice the price of the t-shirt itself). I'm laughing so hard right now, and I shouldn't be.

4. Marak

Marak Member

Shirts that cost two or even three times the price of the game they're promoting always rub me the wrong way. As much as I'd love a Dungeons of Dredmor shirt, I can't justify paying twenty-ish dollars for one. It's doubly distressing that there's really no way to know what kind of cut the devs get per shirt sale - do they make pennies or dollars per shirt?

5. Warskull

Warskull Member

Steam has the advantage that it shows when you are playing it and thus your steam friends get exposed to the game.

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I can't find the citation but I remember Nicholas saying somewhere that Topatoco was a good company and that Gaslamp was getting a good return on the price.

7. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, I read that post. But still, what is a "good return"? In order to be able to guesstimate that, you'd have to also know how much a "bad return" would be, and I'm willing to bet none of us know that, either. And they're not supposed to give absolute numbers... for some reason, saying, "we make about a buck fifty per shirt" is some sort of hush-hush-breaking, trade-secret-revealing, NDR-shattering no-no.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I don't mind that, I can't expect them to sell a shirt for $10. It's just the recommended shipping, for me, takes the price from $18.50 to something like $55, which for one t-shirt is absolutely ridiculous. Not the fault of Topatoco or GLG, of course, but for me it's prohibitive.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yeah, TopatoCo are really, really great. There's a reason why we went with them as opposed to other shirt vendors. Basically, it's a dude who had a webcomic, and needed to sell shirts, and so he got a bunch of other webcomic people together and asked "Hey do you want to sell shirts" and now it's a thing. So they're creator-owned, and as a result they work really hard to be attractive to the little guy.

Also, their mascot is a potato made out of poison, and if that's not Dredmor-y, what is?

In terms of revenue streams: we make the same amount of money on everything, really. So it doesn't matter where you buy things from.

OmniNegro and Marak like this.
  10. Marak

Marak Member

It just makes me wish I had more disposable income atm; I'd love a Dredmor shirt or mug or diggle plushie or somesuch, but really can't afford any of it (much less with shipping) right now. :(

Althea likes this.
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

So you won't judge me if I buy a second copy of DoD/RotDG from Desura? Out of curiosity, if I use their standalone version(s), do they still distribute the patches?

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yessss... although you end up having to download new standalone versions.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Ah, but that's not a problem.

It's not like you guys just announced a 10GB patch.