"Alright, folks, it looks like your saves are redeemable. Hold onto them" - twitter update

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by srulz, Jul 19, 2011.

1. srulz

srulz Member

GaslampGames
    Alright, folks, it looks like your saves are redeemable. Hold onto them

Just in case you guys missed this twitter.

http://www.twitter.com/gaslampgames

2. abomination5

abomination5 Member

Much appreciated Gaslamp. So glad that you've changed your mind.

3. Ryuforce

Ryuforce Member

Well there you go. People need not complain any more...less they deleted the saves. I did but I was not really a fan of either of the two anyhow.

4. Omnia0001

Omnia0001 Member

Hey look, learning in progress :D (cheer)

5. srulz

srulz Member

Gaslamp Games
    Hotfix now being tested

http://www.twitter.com/gaslampgames

6. srulz

srulz Member

From Something Awful forums:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415180&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63

"First off, a hotfix is now up for the load/save issue. You can grab it at http://www.gaslampgames.com/dredmor_hotfix.zip - unzip it into your Steam/steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor/ and let it overwrite Dungeons of Dredmor.exe. That will get all old save games up and running (at least all of the broken ones that we have found so far.)

If the Assembled Goonery wants to test it on their broken saves, we can push this out in the morning as soon as Valve is back in the office and somebody makes the coffee. You might get what the folks on IRC are calling a "phantom save"; I'm not sure what that's about, but I think it's just because character saves are now using the full name of the characters rather than the first five letters as an index.

I'm not going to get into this in too much detail, because I'm tired and am basically running on nothing but fumes at this point, but here's some brief notes.

First off, let it be noted that I do, in fact, have my name on a Derek Smart Joint. (Graphics Programmer, Universal Combat: A World Apart. I was young and I needed the money.)

Second off, obviously this is our mess and we made it; now we get to live with it. I am not happy with the fact that we have been having teething troubles after launch. This is, bluntly, not how I want Gaslamp Games to be run.

The simple fact of the matter is that we were not expecting sales in the volume that we got, and we were not expecting the response that we got. I honestly thought we would make ten thousand sales during the entire lifetime of the product. We are... doing somewhat better than that, and as a result we are doing our best to try to deal with the fact that we now have to support a massive user base, with no money, no staff, and no time. Consequently, we have been scrabbling around trying to get everything sorted out, and when we were testing the reasonably large patch that was about to come out, this slipped through the cracks at the last minute. We didn't go back and re-test the savegames after we put together a last minute fix for a shopkeeper issue, and ka-blam, there's nothing left to do but to pick up the bodies. It's a mess, and our forums are probably on fire as well... I haven't had the heart to look.

So, yep.

To be honest, I agree with Abey Sinclair. I don't need white knighting; I've been a programmer for twenty-two years, a commercial game developer on everything from the Unreal Engine to the Aforementioned Derek Smart for eleven of them, and I've shipped enough stuff to know when it's Our Fuckup. And yep, this one was us. There's nothing to say other than "Sodding, Buggering Hell."

At the same time, I am happy that this is the *only* crash report so far that has been confirmed as reproducible in Dungeons of Dredmor 1.0.3. So that's good news. Obviously there is some other stuff that we will have to straighten out - vampirism, balance tweaks, whatever the heck is going on with the dual wielding, mod support, the planned social engineering stuff, and I'm sure there is at least one more crash bug lurking out there waiting to strike! - but we have now reached the point where I feel like I can finally sit down, stop running, and take a breather.

The only reason we put an achievement in for crashing was because we figured that the game was stable enough that this would no longer be an issue. Hence it might be coveted, instead of something that everybody now gets. Bleh.

I am, admittedly, surprised that this is an issue with a permadeath game. I didn't actually think that enough people would care that much about their characters and their runs in the worst case scenario that we broke the save game format. Shows what I know. :p

As soon as things calm down and I get this hotfix out properly, I will be building some serious regression testing for save games so that this Does Not. Happen. Again. It was on the TODO list, and we didn't get to it for this patch, because we wanted to deal with the Stairs bug and other issues. (Interestingly, the Stairs Bug was missed by one hundred fellow Goon beta testers over the course of a month and a half. It's been in the code base for five years. Go team.) As soon as I actually get a royalty cheque, we are also going to invest in some hardware to do more automated testing and hardware compatibility checking. We don't get paid for another forty-five days or so, which means we're all still eating ramen.

I am also going to take a few days off to try and catch up on my sleep, so I feel less stressed out about having an Indie Hit on my hands that I'm not totally sure how to deal with, to be frank.

Anyhow, as always, we are here to listen to your concerns. I want Gaslamp to be the kind of company that is awesome, listens to its user base, and puts out a good product. If we're not doing that, we need to know so that we can fix it.

That was a little longer than I thought, but oh well. Other than the save fiasco, how are people enjoying 1.0.3?

- nvining"

CHEERS FOR THAT! :D

7. "The only reason we put an achievement in for crashing was because we figured that the game was stable enough that this would no longer be an issue. Hence it might be coveted, instead of something that everybody now gets. Bleh."

Irony is always funny that way. I've said it once but I'll say it again, they should raise their price! 9.99 for this game easy. That's x2 the money!

8. Ryuforce

Ryuforce Member

"The only reason we put an achievement in for crashing was because we figured that the game was stable enough that this would no longer be an issue. Hence it might be coveted, instead of something that everybody now gets. Bleh."

Funny thing is that on their twitter, the confirmed the fact some people had trade their bad saves around to get this achievement. XD

9. kbe

kbe Member

Reports are that the hotfix works so glad I didn't delete my saves, thanks nvining for that well written statement and srulz for reposting it here since I don't read somethingawful forums.

10. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

Damn it I deleted my saves : (

11. Econael

Econael Member

2nd confirm, the hotfix works

Why would anyone ever delete savegames...