How nerfed is the Obvious Fireball?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Tacroy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Anyone know how much they nerfed the Obvious Fireball? I'm looking in the raw skills XML file and it seems like they upped the mana cost, but I don't remember how much damage it did before so I can't compare that :(

I guess I'll do a Promethian Blood Mage again and see how it goes.

2. Leaf

Leaf Member

If its just mana cost, that would be reasonable. It was cheaper than fire rune and did more damage and was easier to use.

3. Carnage157

Carnage157 Member

I'm also quite curious as to how much it is nerfed as well since I never paid attention to how much it did originally. It was my favorite spell to use.

4. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

I was always fine with the damage it did. The cost could be higher, sure.
    What I was surprised at was that it was not a projectile. That would make it harder to use effectively and more dangerous to use right next to the enemy.

As it stood in 1.02 the final spell in Astrology was worse than obvious fireball because fire spells left fire on the ground that did almost as much damage as the hit itself... and costs 3x the mana... Not cool. Still a useful spell, however.

5. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

1.0.2 - 14 mana, min cost 4, 4 blasting damage. Fireball effect - 5 conflag and 2 blasting. Flame field - 2 conflag dmg

1.0.3 - 16 mana, min cost 6, 4 blasting damage. Fireball effect - 2 conflag and 2 glasting. Flame field - 2 conflag dmg

6. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Looks like it just costs more, the damage is still pretty good.

7. qbert911

qbert911 Member

Thanks for the hard numbers Z; added to the wiki.

8. Jabe

Jabe Member

@Zzinged: What about the scaling? Was that changed as well? (list all of the wordF numbers)

9. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

Obvious Fireball
    -old-
    requirements mp="14" magPowBonus="0.15" mincost="4" effect type="damage" blasting="4" blastingF="0.55" affectscaster="1"

-new-
    requirements mp="16" magPowBonus="0.15" mincost="6" effect type="damage" blasting="4" blastingF="0.39" affectscaster="1"

Fireball Effect
    -old-
    effect type="damage" burn="1" conflagratory="5" blasting="2" conflagratoryF="0.55" blastingF="0.35" affectscaster="1"

-new-
    effect type="damage" burn="1" conflagratory="2" blasting="2" conflagratoryF="0.35" blastingF="0.35" affectscaster="1"

Flamefield
    -old-
    effect type="damage" conflagratory="2" conflagratoryF="0.25" burn="1" affectscaster="1"

-new-
    effect type="damage" conflagratory="2" conflagratoryF="0.20" burn="1" affectscaster="1"

10. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

In practice, this is a pretty good nerf I think - now that it costs so much, I occasionally use the Rune of Exploding in applicable situations instead of just sticking to the fireball.

Also, someone needs to make an automatic xml files to wiki converter.