Euro Price ? 1$=1€ ?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Zanza, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Zanza

Zanza Member

Hi Developers!
    Can you give us some information about the Euro Price on Steam? Sadly mostly its handled 1$=1€ on Steam. But i dont know if this is a Steam Decision or a Developer/Publisher Decision.
    It would be nice to see the Euro Price equal to the Dollar price. Which means it should be about 3,5 Euro.

2. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

If I recall correctly, we just put "$4.99" in the appropriate form and it is the number we agreed upon with Valve in communications. I'm not sure if they do something different with that price and I do hope they don't.

If we have anything to say about it, pricing will NOT vary by region. If this is the case, please let us know so that we can complain to the appropriate party.

Exile likes this.
  3. ignorante

ignorante Member

It is set to 4,49€ with 10% off making it 4,04€, roughly equal to 6,27$ and 5,65$.

4. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Ugh, yeah. This is not something we control. We'll try complaining to the appropriate party and see what can be done -- I don't know if the regional pricing is some kind of default Valve policy or something.

Exile likes this.
  5. oldbob

oldbob Member

Valve are liars. Somewhere they said they can't do anything about the prices. They said the developers/publishers setting the prices. LOL
    I think they are making a bit more profit from us herpderp Europeans. I wonder if they give the additional money to the developers/pubslishers....

6. feal87

feal87 Member

4,49 € = 3,74 € + 20 % VAT = 3,74 * 1,40 (change rate with dollar) = 5,23 $

I think Steam is not doing anything wrong here. Try to bitch at your stupid government that is taxing even immaterial items. (Something that does not happen in the US or Canada)

7. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

feal87 you missed the calculation where 3.74 € + 20 % VAT = 4.49 €

4.49 € *1.41 = USD6.36

8. feal87

feal87 Member

The VAT in the US does not exist.

Valve has not to pay it so that they can offer a 3,74€ price in US. In europe the VAT exist even for software and here is the reason of the high price.

Remember that VAT is a TAX, as the developer (as they confirmed here) only said "4,99$" valve adjusted the price to allow to pay that price pre-tax.

I think this is very easy to understand, get your facts straight man...

9. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

My facts are fine, man.

I was just following your math equation and it looks as if you missed out the calculation where you add VAT on to 3.74 €

10. d32

d32 Member

Hm, game is listed at 3.59€ for me (after the 10% discount), which is OK. Here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/?cc=sk

(careful with this link, it will set your region to mine. you cannot buy any games from the same browser until you change the last two letters to your country)

And yes, feal87 - your math is not really correct.

11. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Hmm at the VAT, as I'm in the UK and in £s it is just over the $5 mark.

12. Zzinged

Zzinged Member

feal87's math is correct, it's just laid out abnormally.

€4.49 - 20% VAT = €3.74
    €3.74 = USD $5.27

Even then, the price is still higher than what customers would pay in USD.

13. uCore

uCore Member

It's 3.59€ here and I'm from Europe :O

14. xrogaan

xrogaan Member

It's 4.49€ here (4.04€ with the 10% promo). Weird, heh ?

And yes, the developers can normally ask for the fair price.

15. casualsax

casualsax Member

How much of a fee would a bank charge Valve to convert those Euros into Dollars?

16. oldbob

oldbob Member

Zzinged is right. For a $9.99 game i pay (after all the math) really $11.40 here in Germany (19% VAT). I wonder if these money goes to the developers or to valve...hmm.