New Autosave feature doesn't save often enough at all

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by velz, Jul 20, 2011.

1. velz

velz Member

Figured I didnt have to deal with my obsessive saving anymore after this patch but I guess I do. I just died, thought I was all good with the autosave and it turns out it didnt even save since the last time I loaded the thing up from the previous death..In other words, a long time went by with no autosave.

Errmmm...?

2. Ria Hawk

Ria Hawk Member

I think it's supposed to save every time you change levels, but more often would be nice.

3. jareddm

jareddm Member

I honestly don't get why it autosaves on saves that have permadeath on it. Does the autosave get deleted if you die with permadeath?

4. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Yes, saves get deleted when you die on permadeath.

Also, I think autosave should be updated on a much more common action, like opening doors or something, if it can handle it (saving small changes should be much faster than a large change, like a couple of hours on a single floor). Would save a lot of potential hassle if you aren't playing on permadeath and end up dying, but more importantly if you have computer troubles and end up crashing. Cuz lets face it, not all crashes are due to the game, some are just incidents with your computer being a bitch.

Wi§p likes this.
  5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Save games are pretty quick, so we can make it do it something like once every 1000 moves or something. I'll investigate and report back. -- N.

6. Ria Hawk

Ria Hawk Member

That seems like it would be a much more useful increment, thanks.

7. StaplerGuy

StaplerGuy Member

This is one heck of a necro, but it seemed better than making another thread. Can this get done? I mean, maybe it has, but I've had a few crashes in the last few days and autosave hasn't been anywhere but "before last stair descent", no matter how far along I was.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I can't guarantee anything, but I think that Gaslamp is focusing on getting rid of the crashes in the first place :) I do think a more frequent autosave would be nice myself though. For now all you can do is go up/down stairs when you pass by one.

9. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

My first crash so far was horrible, the game was going very well, better than it had ever went on the first floor of Going Rogue. I would have loved any autosave I could have loaded, even if it was at the beginning of the game, since I wouldn't mind replaying the first 30 minutes or so and could have ended up getting back to where I was before anyways.

10. Mao Ranma

Mao Ranma Member

That's why I just obsessively enter and re-enter every stair I find. When the dungeon suddenly collapsed around me, I lost a lot of time, as I had JUST finished mopping up a level and was heading towards a stair. Was so disgusted with the autosave I just made a new character, and peeked every stair I find. Plus I find some neat rooms that way.

11. starslayer

starslayer Member

Having a quicksave button, or a 'save every xx turns' <where you can define XX in the options> would be very nice- I find I'm getting a lot of crashes since the diggle gods expansion.

Wi§p likes this.
  12. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Said it before: play on non-permadeath but play by permadeath rules.

It's the only way to be safe. Either that or go up/down stairs every time you want to 'save'.

Wi§p likes this.
  13. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Nice work-around J-Factor, I'd still love to see it get fixed properly eventually though.

14. blob

blob Member

But then... you dont get the ACHIEVEMENT !1!
    Not that it really matters...

Are you sure taking the stairs makes an autosave ? I thought It was making an autosave only when you were going to a new floor for the first time.

15. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Okay, autosaving has now been added to the upcoming patch. Once every 5 minutes good enough for folks? Or do you have a preference?

Kazeto, Lorrelian, Wisse and 3 others like this.
  16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Every 5 minutes is good enough. Losing that much game-time in case of a crash isn't really that bad, especially when compared to losing one-and-half an hour which could happen earlier if the game crashed on us when we explored a floor at once without using stairs (because of the uberchest problem, and stuff).