A detailed critique of the crafting system:

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DragonRider, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hmm-Hmm.

Hmm-Hmm. Member

Ria: You can always see (with any tool) what skill you need by looking at the recipes. The end-product of a recipe has a number below it (or above?). This tells you what skill you need.

Ingot grinders (at least prepatch) are the solo tool of which all standard recipes require 0 skill (which means anyone can make them). Tinkering tools, ingot presses and Alchemy boxes allow an unskilled character to make several things. Port-a-stills and smithing kits are useless to unskilled characters, I believe.

2. Ria Hawk

Ria Hawk Member

Thanks. Good to know. I'll have to play with it.

3. Incendax

Incendax Member

Any kind of salvage system would be extremely beneficial. If items could be broken down into about 3 different components and then 2 or 3 of those components plus one or two rare component could be used to craft any and all recipes.

4. Pecka

Pecka Member

Even a marginal return of resources would be incredibly beneficial, for example an iron sword broken down into 1 iron. Would help smithing and would offer some other ways of handling picked up items instead of just lutefisking everything.... and then lutefisking what the lutefisk gives you.

5. waitwhat

waitwhat Member

Um yeah.. Need chalk also :D I would like to know if its possible to make somehow.

6. Paidprinny

Paidprinny Member

Chalk is not possible to make without altering the game files...
    It's only used in the creation of two things, Aqua Fortis and the all powerful Steel Ingot. The reason you have more coal than chalk is because a certain room will load with coal inside, where chalk does not have an allocated room.

7. Ria Hawk

Ria Hawk Member

Chalk may be only used in two things, but those two things are very desirable, especially steel. But even Aqua Fortis is good to have around; it's an ingredient in some good potions.

I'd also like to be able to, say, transmute materials into another material. Like, I dunno, transmute a couple of gold or platinum ingots into steel. I wouldn't mind taking a net loss on item numbers, but it's silly to have my pack overflowing with platinum while I can't find enough steel to make ANYTHING.

8. Omnia0001

Omnia0001 Member

I'd honestly would like the ability to purchase restocks of Brax's shops using money (it would refill all empty slots with new random items)... this way I can feel like I can consume some rarer items for something I'd like to try.

9. Ria Hawk

Ria Hawk Member

It would also be a nice money sink... I have stupid amounts of money because often everything he's selling is either something I can't use, or crap.

10. floor 8 on my current play through...

one chalk... seriously...