No use for gold? Doesnt seem like anything to buy is worth it

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by velz, Jul 18, 2011.

1. velz

velz Member

Really seems like all the magic items I can get for free from quests or wherever are much better than anything I can find in the shop which sell for huge sums of cash. Anyone else noticing this?

2. Noven

Noven Member

Not really, I've gotten some really good stuff from shops. Thing I found it, most have only crap, but if you sell whatever you don't need first, you'll make quite a bit of money, and seemingly expensive things aren't that bad after all lol Just give it time until you find some item that's good for you, I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Who knows, maybe I'm just lucky with it lol

3. TopHatCat

TopHatCat Member

Iv found amazing things in the shop.. Had 1 staff spawn in the Floor 1 shop that was 1900.. and my god, I'm on Floor 7 and still haven't replaced it, it's godly.

I think it's just getting lucky with the shop 'spawns'.
    As for the Flood vending machine.. why bother when you find so much food on the floor anyway? Iv never had to get anything from it =/

4. Bunnychaser

Bunnychaser Member

There are some weapons I've seen that are STUPID.
    39.5k axes with 10 slashing 10 mist dmg.

I just saw a 44k mace with 24 slashing.

Actually, the shop I'm currently in has this:
    http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg325/Bunnychaser999/asdafsd.png

5. Chiatroll

Chiatroll Member

If you play an archer or a guy who throws stuff you pretty much empty your wallet at every vending machine.

HJ-kos likes this.
  6. Econael

Econael Member

Yeah I've noticed crossbows with 20 dmg.

Often I'll find an incredibly good item in a lvl1 shop which makes it easier to progress.
    On the other hand, I seldom find good mage items in shops.

@Chiatroll: have you successfully played an archer/thrower only char? I find it impossible to get enough ammo. 8% ammo recovery rate is very little, even when I craft my own ammo it isn't nearly enough.

IMO vending machines are the #1 zorkmid spending location

7. Lokloklok

Lokloklok Member

money is useful when you use ranged for bolts or thrown. Also as a axe guy i often find crude iron or even crude steel axes for sale on first floor and go bless them at krong.

8. Chiatroll

Chiatroll Member

I played a archer throwing wands character and an archer throwing.

at the later floors it is very hard to get enough arrows or toss able things to damage enemies with.

9. kbe

kbe Member

I bought Self-Righteous Sword of White Lies and Angsty Blade of the Anti-Hero and still had over 100k by the end of my first run and I basically skipped the 9th floor.

10. DarkFenix

DarkFenix Member

I've picked up the Clockwork Bolt-thrower, also the Self-Righteous Sword of White Lies. Apart from that I spend tons every time I find a bolt vending machine.

HJ-kos likes this.
  11. mwoody

mwoody Member

Note that upgrading your tinkering means you create not just more, but also BETTER bolts with the same recipes. Also note that upgrading smithing means you make more bars from ore.

I don't think it's really viable to upgrade both, but it's certainly something to keep in mind, particularly if you're not putting points into tinkering because it looks like it doesn't help you make bolts. It really, really does.

12. Econael

Econael Member

ok but then you spend all your points on tinkering and not on combat skills, well, gotta test this though

13. Chiatroll

Chiatroll Member

econael
    tinkering gives really really good trap bonuses though so points spent on tinkering give you trap weapons from the floor as well as arrows

14. Econael

Econael Member

ah, you have a point

15. rulinus

rulinus Member

(even tho the thread is kinda old, did not want to open a new thread about the subject and pollute the forum)

as a sword wielder (no need for bolts), i am having trouble to spend my ridiculous amount of gold.

Are there any other suggestions?

(just brainstorming):

maybe special shops can be added, which sell some rare/unique items with very big price tags, even fun items?

and furthermore, how about making respeccing option available, for say... 200-300k?

or adding an option to buy inventory space, for example 1 line for 100k?

because you know, people want to spend their earned gold, don't want to feel that the money is useless.

i am in dungeon level 9, and my gold? it is just insane!

[​IMG]

16. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

You do run into the odd high-powered sword in the shop. Doul's Possible Sword is about 20-30,000, if I remember right. Also, everyone should buy squid bolts when they can, no matter their build. But yeah, most playthroughs you will end with a ton of unusable gold.

17. blob

blob Member

I m wondering how you guys end up with so much gold, it never happens to me. I get as high as 100+ k but 700k, no way !
    And you have that by floor 9 ?? How do you do that ?

However I m sure we could make small mods to make expensive items. Not equipment that would break the balance but maybe some extreme healing potions that heals your full health bar.

PS: is this a freaking coincidence that you are in "The waiting room of tigers" and that there's actually a tiger picture in it ?

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think the ability to make custom shops in which certain items would be on sale would help. That way we could get a shop in which expensive buff items are on sale, and buying buffing items would be a fine way to sink some zorkmids.

Lack of archeology, and some luck at getting artefacts.
    I usually have about 60~70k of zorkmids at that point, but then again, I'm the kind of person who can't leave a vending machine with stuff in it.

19. rulinus

rulinus Member

the answer for that question is from an inventory menagement topic i replied, so let me quote myself;

and the tiger thing is purely coincidence, i just realised for your pointing out, but it is brilliant! :D

20. blob

blob Member

I see, thanks for the explanation.
    I sell a looot of stuff but not my bolts and wands. Always keep them for "later" ( which usually does not happen).
    I ll keep doing that though, since I personally get the right amount of money the way I manage my stuff anyway.