Armour Absorption bug?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Aarika, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Aarika

Aarika Member

Is it not possible to reduce mundane damage to zero? Thanks to an extremely lucky shop my brand new character has 10 Armour Absorption, yet enemies still do 1 damage (of mundane type). When I remove a piece of armor with 1 point of armour absorption I still take 1 damage, so I assume that means the skill works, but can't reduce damage to nothing?

edit - spelling

2. Econael

Econael Member

I haven't seen one single game where you could reduce incoming damage to zero.
    It's always at least 1 and therefore I'd say it's working as intended.

3. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well, there's been games where you can reduce special/elemental damage to zero. :p

And actually, in ADOM, it's quite possible to build up your armor well enough so that you literally will take no damage from a lot of attacks.
    Love that game. My favorite Roguelike of all time.
    Did I mention I happen to be in the credits? :p

4. Desi

Desi Member

I wanted to resurrect this thread to say that it's pretty lame that no matter how great our armor absorption is, it cannot fully protect us from damage. It's one of the things that makes Vampirism a much better perk to take than, say, Master of Arms. It is like saying that if you throw enough pebbles at a tank, the tank will eventually burst into flames.

5. mellow

mellow Member

huh? I got hit for 0 dmg from monsters before. I don't see what the problem is. Just so you know, pierce dmg isn't mundane, and most enemies have at least 1 pt of pierce dmg.

6. Desi

Desi Member

Hmm that would make sense, if it's piercing damage.

7. Fatdude

Fatdude Member

Its possible to reduce damage to 0.My melee char doesnt take any damage from Thrust monsters.When they attack i get it had no effect message

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yeah, only piercing damage bypasses armor.
    @Econael How many games have you played? I can't think of that many where you can't reduce damage to zero.
    @Lord Blade Wow, you're in the credits for ADOM? Awesome! Although, I prefer Angband/Zangband/T.O.M.E/etc.

So to explain it better, Piercing damage bypasses armor, so you will always be hurt by it. That's why Piercing Resistance is so awesome and yet so rare.

Also, be wary of Big Blue demons, they do enough crushing damage that you need about 30 armor to block it.