Bonus Experience skills are a bit underpowered

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Wootah, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

You appear to forget that this is a roguelike and would feel no guilt or remorse about being cruel to you, if computer programs could feel. In fact, it would probably enjoy it.

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I've played a lot of Roguelikes, to be honest, ADOM is not that cruel. :)

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It lets you teleport on any object (for example a fountain, or a vending machine etc)

4. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

It used to.

Now it's just a normal aimed teleport (like Mathemagic).

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

But ADOM is quite easy for a roguelike. Nethack is a nightmare, and Steamhack can be a bad trip with some combinations, too. Elona is also easy, and ridiculous at the same time. Dwarf Fortress has a great learning curve, and losing is fun there (as you'll be doing that for most of the time). It varies from one game to another, as new roguelikes are most often created after someone plays another roguelike and decides to either make it more difficult, or less difficult.

And it's possible to teleport onto anything with MiMW. Past floor 2 you should be drowning in minced meat, you can use it for that.
    And after the update it's "just" a normal "move-anywhere-you-want-that-you-see" type of teleport, so you might as well update the game and try with it again.

6. Daynab

...oh. :( I should take a refresher in these things.

7. JunkRamen

JunkRamen Member

Move in Mysterious Ways can target the floor. I've been doing it on my current character.

Punishment for mistakes is a big part of just about any game...

8. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

BWAHAHAHA! ADOM is easy!?! I'm sorry, but it's considered to be one of the hardest roguelikes out there. Angband is easy compared to any others.
    Saying ADOM is an easy Rogue-like is like saying "Superstring Symmetry and Quantum Entanglement" is an easy Physics lesson. :)
    I don't think they teach that in Middle School. :)

Not to mention, I've played Nethack, and Slash'EM. ADOM is rather mean compared to it. Nethack doesn't allow you to die if you kick the staircase too many times. :) I also don't think it has instant death Banshees.
    Just be wary of the Vorpal Blade being stolen from you.
    Also, it has no corruption that can turn you into a Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos.

And don't get me started on Dwarf Fortress, I see no point in it at all.

OKay, now, I got it though, MiMW works even though the last time I used it, it never worked at all for me.
    I admit I haven't tried it in a long time.

" Punishment for mistakes is a big part of just about any game..." What games do you play, and can I have a list, so I can avoid them all? Seriously, that's not the case in any decent game.
    Okay, Dark Souls really does punish you if you do something wrong. But in that game, I understand it. :)

10. JunkRamen

JunkRamen Member

A game that does not punish you for error is a game that presents absolutely no challenge. There might be a couple of games that don't punish you for mistakes but the vast majority of them do. Including this one. And most of us here would agree that this game is far above just "decent."

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That's great, then. Maybe we simply have play-styles different enough to make ADOM easier for me than it is for you.
    And while I think you are right that they don't teach such physics in middle school, I can't be sure as I haven't been a middle schooler for quite a long time.
    Also, where the heck did I post anything about Angband?

Just for the record, I never wrote that Nethack was more difficult than ADOM. I only wrote that "it was a nightmare", something that frankly speaking can mean a lot of things.

And you know, I actually feel a little bit sorry for you. You posted in a thread that was forgotten for 2 weeks just to laugh at my experience with rogue-likes for the most part, and only mention MiMW at the end.

12. OmegaJasam

OmegaJasam Member

The problem with the exp bonuses is that they don't /scale/, and require quite some investment to get.
    Later on, and espacly on no time to grind, they're kinda terrable

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That's true; generally speaking, if something only gives you bonus experience, then it should give you enough of it to effectively raise your level by 1 at the end of the game (meaning it should give you at least as much experience as you would need to level up one more time at the end of the game), and as the dungeon will be getting deeper (for I reckon there'll be at least 2 more DLCs, each of them adding 5 levels; I might be wrong though, but I really want it to happen), the amount of experience needed increases exponentially while experience gain is constant and increased at the same rate.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You feel sorry for me? Um, because I can't spend 24/7 on a forum? And that I get busy in real life with various things, and can't check this forum that often? Or I get distracted by games and stuff? That's kind of well, rude. Maybe not truly rude, but still.

Also, I didn't mean to make you think I was laughing at you. I was just laughing at the idea that anyone can call ADOM easy.
    I bet if you told Thomas Biskup, the creator of ADOM that it was easy, he'd fall on the floor laughing at that. :)
    I mean, why do they the Archmage challenge if the game is easy? :) Or the Eternium Man, which no one has ever beaten, despite it being over a decade old.

Perhaps both of us are confused. I mean by accidentally pressing the wrong key.
    The worst you can get in most Roguelike game is basically hitting a monster when you meant to run away from it. I wouldn't call that a big punishment.
    Perhaps we both got confused on that.

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

~Sigh~
    Please end it, I was neither trying to insult you nor was I trying to laugh at you. I also don't I used any insults (which you might not have noticed, but I see no insults in neither one of my previous posts), and to be quite honest, if this trend in your posts is going to continue then I'm going to start reporting them, because it appears as if you started to chew out the scenery over my declaration that I don't see ADOM as that difficult.

And it's you whose replies are rude, actually - it's quite easy to see that it's you who started laughing at my post, and not me at yours, and it's you who is now getting over the top with the whole thing, totally derailing the thread from its original topic instead of continuing the discussion through a private channel.
    You think my posts are insulting to you? Then report them, it's as simple as that, and it's a much better solution than continuing this digression about other roguelikes.

Now getting to the main point of your post, which is a rant about how ADOM is difficult because of some things. Now you might not know about it, as you appear to be the type that doesn't want to admit he's wrong sometimes, but not everyone plays roguelikes for challenges, and not everyone wants to play with every possible character.
    Every player plays differently, and while some games are generally considered to be more difficult than others, difficulty is still subjective and thus something you might perceive as easy might be difficult for another player, or the opposite, something difficult for you might be easy for him.
    I got through ADOM three times, every time with a rogue character, and while there were moments that required me to plan through some things or rely on luck, I had overall found it pretty refreshing. And I never cared about these challenges, simply preferring to get through the game proper instead of challenging myself to artificially raise the difficultly to (probably) unbearable levels.
    I know it's known to be hard, that I can assure you of. But I'm speaking from my personal experience, as someone who simply got through the game, and my first reply about ADOM was actually just a part of my post, about 50%, while your later replies consisted mostly of rebukes of my first post.

16. Daynab

Welp, I think we're done here. The thread was 2 weeks old anyhow. Let's try to avoid this thing happening in other threads you guys, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.