Wind Magic

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Null, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Adds a full fleshed-out skill line. Wind Magic is mostly a utility skill which is meant to be usable differently on mages and non-mages. For non-mages the costs will still be at a usable level and they can be used for utility. Mages on the other hand can still have enough scaling to use the abilities for damage. The danger is that most of them require you to get close to your enemies to use, and thus have more of a risk when on a mage.

This isn't just a random bunch of skills put together, I've made sure that this skill has a specific playstyle and usability throughout, and all the skills have been repeatedly rebalanced and sometimes iterated into new concepts entirely (Windwalk especially, if you had been on the irc you'd know it had a large number of iterations).

The skill has 6 levels (and describing them really ruins the surprise):
    • Gust
    • Breathstealer
    • Flight of the Flamingo
    • Tornado
    • Windwalk
    • Eye of the Storm
    The icon for the skill and the windwalk icon are both major edits from default icons. The rest are all beta skills for air magic.

Older versions available upon request.

Please do give feedback if you try it, I'd really like you know what you think because I put plenty of work into making sure this was a balanced tree and worked right.

Changelog below.

Download 1.10 only if you're using the RC

Attached Files:

• 1.03.zip
      File size:
      156.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.10.zip
      File size:
      190.2 KB
      Views:
    Rezca, mining, bluehinter and 3 others like this.
  2. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Sounds interesting, I'm gonna give it a try now. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Null

This is now the new changelog post unless I post a new thread somewhere:

Changelog:

Tornado now yet again is changed. It now is a missile that deals damage to all enemies hit, displacing them to a random nearby tile.
    Tornado's damage changed to :dmg_blast:(4+.20:magic_power:) and :dmg_aphyxiative:(2+.25:magic_power:) from :dmg_blast:(3+.20:magic_power:) and :dmg_aphyxiative:(3+.25:magic_power:)

Eye of the Storm now costs 10-.10:savvy: > 6 from 30-.4:savvy: > 15
    Eye of the Storm now costs 3:mana: a turn to upkeep but does not have a limited duration
    Eye of the Storm's changes to Drenched reverted (previous version did not solve the problem)

A new level Storm Shield was added between Breathstealer and Tornado
    Storm Shield casts a buff which costs 1:mana: every turn but gives +75:reflection:, +50:block:, +10:magic_resist:, and deals some damage to enemies that hit in melee

Gust now may be fired at any angle
    Gust is now slightly wider
    Gust animates slightly faster

Breathstealer's damage changed from :dmg_aphyxiative:(1+.20:magic_power:) and :dmg_crushing:(1+.10:magic_power:) to :dmg_aphyxiative:(2+.20:magic_power:) and Crushing :dmg_crushing:(2+.15:magic_power:)

Eye of the Storm now automatically strikes the targets of your spells and attacks with lightning bolts, along with enemies attacking you
    Eye of the Storm no longer gives any bonuses on the buff
    During Eye of the Storm, the player is unaffected by the Drenched debuff

Tornado now targets a tile, firing a missile at it. When it hits something it deals :dmg_blast: (3+.2 :magic_power: ), :dmg_aphyxiative: (3+.25 :magic_power: ), then knocks back. A mine is created for 16 turns that deals :dmg_blast:(2+.15:magic_power:) , :dmg_aphyxiative: (2+.15:magic_power:) and knocks back enemies.

Flight cost changed from 6-.15:savvy: > 3 to 7-.15:savvy: > 4

Eye of the Storm now makes large amounts of noise (that only monsters can hear). In other words it makes monsters aware of your presence and wake up from a further distance than the storm, regardless of one's sneakiness.

Flight of the Flamingo moved to second level
    Breathstealer moved to third level

Gust does more blasting damage, from :dmg_blast:(1+.1:magic_power:), :dmg_aphyxiative:(2+.2:magic_power:) to :dmg_blast:(2+.2:magic_power:), :dmg_aphyxiative: (1+.1:magic_power:)
    Breathstealer and Stolen Breath now describe the silencing effect.
    Breathstealer's damage changed from :dmg_aphyxiative:(3+.2:magic_power:), :dmg_crushing:(1+.05:magic_power:) to :dmg_aphyxiative:(2+.2:magic_power:), :dmg_crushing:(1+.1:magic_power:)
    Stolen Breath now additionally gives :resist_aphyxiative:-1.

Flight of the Flamingo's mana cost reduced from 7-.15:savvy: -> 3 to 6-.15:savvy: > 3
    In Flight now gives twice as much of a bonus ( :dodge:+6 to :dodge:+12, :magic_resist:+4 to :magic_resist:+8, :sneakiness:+8 to :sneakiness:+16)
    In Flight now has a reduced maximum stack size from 5 to 3
    In Flight now lasts ten turns instead of eight

Tornado's last tile duration increased from 9 to 16
    Tornado's damage changed from :dmg_blast:(3+.2), :dmg_aphyxiative:(1+.15:magic_power:) then :dmg_blast:(2+.2:magic_power:), :dmg_aphyxiative:(1+.15:magic_power:) then :dmg_blast:(1+.1:magic_power:), :dmg_aphyxiative:(2+.25:magic_power:) to :dmg_blast:(2+.15:magic_power:), :dmg_aphyxiative:(2+.2:magic_power:) at all points
    Still can crash rarely from hitting enemies next to wall.

Windwalk now has a proper and accurate description
    Windwalk's damage changed from twice :dmg_aphyxiative:(4+.15:magic_power:), :dmg_blast:(2+.04:magic_power: and :dmg_aphyxiative:(1+.05:magic_power:), :dmg_blast:(0+.01:magic_power:) to :dmg_aphyxiative:(5+.2:magic_power:), :dmg_blast:(2+.1:magic_power:) and :dmg_aphyxiative:(4+.15:magic_power:), :dmg_blast:(2+.05:magic_power:)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I'll check it out soon and let you know what I think.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

So far I've not had enough luck to level a character up past Gust...but I love Gust. :)

I'll make a character build around wind-magery and play a little tonight and give you a full review after church tomorrow. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Null

One suggestion for a wind mage, make sure you have something to deal with undead and constructs. (Maybe when I update I'll shift the damage more into blasting)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Haha, I had the same experience as Essence. I rushed Tornado and then was unable to kill anything on floor 2. I'll try a more balanced approach. So far though: Gust is fine, decent damage, good push effect, Flight of the Flamingo is a good desperation escape, and Breathstealer is awesome. Possibly too awesome? Is it supposed to hit every enemy in it's path, angular though it may be? I haven't tried Tornado much, but it seems pretty useful, like a Tactical Pyre that repels. Also, what damage type does this tree actually use? Asphyxiation?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Null

Almost entirely a mix of asphyxiative and blasting. A fun thing is that Tornado does more asphyxiative damage at the end of its path and more blasting at the start, so keep that in mind.

I'll definitely make Gust do more blasting and less asphyxiative, which makes sense.

Breathstealer is intended that it hits every enemy. Maybe it could use a nerf but it's difficult to make it so that it's useful when there's a small number of enemies but not overpowered versus a zoo.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Knallis

Knallis Member

I'll test this out and let you know what I think. But let me just say that in games I always love magic, but if there's wind magic my heart goes aflutter. I god damn love wind magic, the whole idea of it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

I am going to test this out right now and will let you know what I think once I've had enough experience with all the skills. :D

I am the same way but with Chaos magicks..

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. jadkni

jadkni Member

Ran into a crash when using Whirlwind for the first time. Not entirely sure what caused it, I was firing it directly into an enemy adjacent to me with a wall directly behind him.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Null

I'll certainly see what I can do to fix this, and while I don't have control over the engine code I might be able to get something to work. It's quite easily reproducible though. It's something with the knockback trapping a monster in the wall I believe.

EDIT: It's not actually that reproducible it seems, I just got lucky. I think I know how I shall solve the crash though.

OmniaNigrum and Godwin like this.
  13. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

14. Essence

Eye of the Storm does so much crap that it won't fit on the screen when you mouseover it. :D

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Sounds fun I'll give it a go and add feedback :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Essence

Dunno if it's my machine, or what, but Tornado -- when cast onto an enemy -- takes my computer about 2 minutes of solid grind time to figure out what's supposed to happen and show it on screen. Really annoying.

I haven't gotten Windwalk or EotS yet, but just from some 1st floor mucking about I can say that I think Gust is perfect, Breathstealer might be a bit too strong for DL1, but I'm sure it'll fall rapidly in usefulness on the way down (though mass-ish debuffs are always nice), and Flamingo is surprisingly good as an 'inaccurate but still pointable' teleport. I like the skillset quite a bit thus far. More the next time I'm awake and my wife is napping. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Null

I might remake Tornado anyway so I don't think that will occur after the next update. Chances are I'll make it able to target any tile but fire a missile. Either that or a targeted displace mine. Something like that. Part of the reason is because of the one crash that can occur, the other because it's very difficult to balance, it's restricted in placement but then it's amazing if you do get an enemy trapped.

As of right now Breathstealer is switched with Flight, and the base damage is reduced slightly, with the scaling increased slightly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Essence

That sounds pretty reasonable, all things considered.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

It is a pretty fun and useful skillset for dealing with anything but constructs!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Null

I intend to shift some of the damage out of asphyxiative to make it a bit better on undead and contstructs.

OmniaNigrum likes this.