Two-Handed Skills?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Officefanguy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Hey guys, I'm new here and have little to no experience with mods. So, without getting too technical, is it possible for there to be a skill tree mod that focuses on using both hands for a weapon?

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Not at the moment. This is something the GLG guys had on their minds at some point in the past (there's a two-handed attack icon in the icon set), but no way two-fist something in the XML.

3. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Well, something to look forward to I guess. Thanks for the speedy reply!

4. Garlyle

Garlyle Member

I don't know much about the script specifics, but maybe it would be possible to script something based around detecting if you've got one empty hand slot and one with a weapon? That seems like a possible method to get around it, if what you were hoping for is hardcoding an item to go in both weaponslots at once or something.

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

You don't know anything. You don't even know if there's scripting or not so I'd suggest that you learn what there is before trying to tell people how to do things.

6. Garlyle

Garlyle Member

Was being that rude really necessary? You're right that I probably should have looked a bit further before answering. However, you could have answered with "Unfortunately, there's no code that handles that case, so no, it can't be done that way" which would've actually answered things and served a purpose for anyone later looking at this topic. Honestly, it wasn't something I'd even noticed until I deliberately went looking that the active weapon skills themselves aren't even tied to their weapon, at least not in the skill/spell databases (this is silly); which definitely presents an obstacle. On the other hand, technically this means there's nothing specifically stopping a two-handed weapon skillset from existing (Just like I guess there's nothing stopping you from using the axe skilltree and only using swords). It just, y'know, won't involve the two-handed limitation, which more or less defeats the point.

I wanted to see this done and was hoping to find an alternate way around it.

EDIT: The "Adding a weapon class" topic has an answer could maybe work if you want to make a set of two-handed weapons to go with this, as their own item class like other weapons, but unfortunately participation in the whole 'not using both at once' side of things would be pretty much a player-voluntary thing. Sigh.
    (But, I guess if you were okay with the part where it's player-voluntary, you could follow the template for standard weapon skills)

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Please stay friendly guys.

@ the OP, there's no way to do this that I know of currently. I mean you could create some two handed looking weapons or a skill based on them but there would always be the possibility of cheating with two :p

8. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Haha, that's the exploit I was foreseeing. Thanks for all the info guys. If anyone wants to toy around with this, please feel free as I have little to no actual modding experience. I would be more than willing to playtest. :D

9. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

Would love to toy around with your mod, where can I find it?

10. Officefanguy

Officefanguy Member

Haha, still in the theoretical phase.