Magic power shouldnt influence every ability in the game

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Goat Cheese, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Member

It makes no sense that absolutely all of the formulas in the wiki use magic power, even when it regards skills such as vampirism, assassinate, etc. The reason that dualing staves is so popular is that they grant magic power alongside damage matching other weapons, but all pure melee enhancement skills, such as vampirism, both sustainables from viking wizardry and assassination rely rather heavily on magic power.

Et tu and sneaky shiv in particular, grant [​IMG] ( 3 + 0.5 [​IMG] [​IMG] ). Thats a damage bonus per 2 magic power points, and one that can be thouroughly utilized only by using the staves. Magic power shouldnt play such a significant role outside of the magic school's spells.

Its already a factor in all anvil of krong weapon enchantments as well.

Melee power or another stat should be used as a substitute when calculating damage from such abilities, in order to stimulate people to actually roll melee-oriented characters. All wiki posted builds are heavy on magic, while conventional warrior builds are all in the gutter.

Godwin, Zyzone, brobbeh and 8 others like this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

3. Insanius

Insanius Member

Totally agree. Maybe assassination skills could scale with something that would make sense for it to scale with like... sneakiness?

4. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

My vote goes for burliness for vampirism, since it's used primarily in melee builds, and dexterity for assassination

5. Luke00016

Luke00016 Member

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that many of the wiki's formulas are out of date.

6. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Member

I noticed this while playing. I then checked the formulas and they fit what i experience.

7. 123stw

123stw Member

The Wiki had plenty of melee build, they just get bad ratings so they don't show up anymore. You have to go to "see all" to see them.

Besides, dual staves "psionic" has a lot more to do with the stun lock than the scaling.

8. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Member

The only stun there is the psionic. Nothing lock-worthy is pertaining to the staves alone, as hammers do a knockback which is basically the same idea- enemy doesnt get to attack you on his turn, and if it was indeed stun lock aimed, it should have included assassination, which hindsight, it probably should have since staves will deal ridiculous damage with assassination.

When i played with staves i picked viking wizardry for the 2 sustainables, but the rest of the tree was pretty useless.

9. 123stw

123stw Member

Well back when the guides was made mana cost was based on magic power. Back at 1.03 vampirism also scales a lot more with magic power than now.

So basically dual staves with mage armors drop nerve staple down to 3 mana, then you can forget process stun entirely since you can spam nerve staple every 2 turns. I think mana cost is no longer link to magic power so dual staves isn't all that hot anymore.

If spell cost the same rather I use swords or staves, i would take the counter rate. The wiki guides are just outdated like that.

10. Wootah

Wootah Member

Is there a way to look at the files to see what spell damage is based off? My viking magic first level spell is hitting for an extra 5-6 damage, which is great and all, but I wish I knew how things were calculated... Same with the flasks of brimstone.

But I agree that warrior stuff should be based off melee power and other physical type abilities.

11. Essence

Wootah, you can just open SpellDB.xml in Notepad and see the formula for all of the spells. They look like this:

<effect type="damage" DAMAGETYPE="X" DAMAGETYPEF="Y"/>

Where DAMAGETYPE is voltaic, conflagratory, aetheric, etc. DAMAGETYPEF simply means "multiply your Magic Power by Y and add it to the static damage mentioned previously in this effect."

12. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Member

Power of Magic Steel has a 55% chance on hit to proc Small Electrical Strike and grants the following: [​IMG] +1 [​IMG] +2 [​IMG] +2 [​IMG] +2.

effect of small electrical strike is: [​IMG] 1 + [​IMG] ( 3 + 0.2 [​IMG] [​IMG] )
    Secondary effect: 33% chance to paralyze for 1 turn

http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Skills has all the formulas

13. Warskull

Warskull Member

I can agree with this, certain skills scaling with melee power makes sense.

14. Sooty

Sooty Member

How come Dredmorpedia doesn't have these details of calculation when it's supposed to be based on a game file holding the same information? :S

15. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Because it takes a lot of work to parse the things Dredmorpedia already has and it's still very much a WIP, though I don't know if that feature is planned.

16. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Member

I have the "Skills" section of the wiki site favorited so i can look up the dmg formulas at leisure.

PRO TIP: you can see the damage formulas from anvil of krong enchantments too. You can also restart the game via ctrl+alt+del, till your weapon gets a good ench, if you are that much into min-maxing.

17. Essence

BOO! Savescumming is for savescumbags.

brobbeh and Blue like this.
  18. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

It does now.