Damage Type Classes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fateofman, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

There were a couple of capitalization typos in the mondb

This edit I've uploaded hopefully should fix them

Attached Files:

Fateofman and Kazeto like this.
  2. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Atre you still working on this? Because I like these.

3. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

Thanks for the capitalization fix, that must've been what was causing those intermittent problems I was having

My laptop died shortly after Christmas, and I lost all my notes and unfinished sprites. Not a huge deal, but I've been busy with other stuff and haven't really summoned the motivation to start again. I may be getting a break soon, maybe I'll do some more. Before my laptop bit the big one, I was thinking about doing some kind of interplay between the skills. Something like having skills from one class making other skills in others have extra effects (maybe hyperborean skills stacking a freezing debuff on use that conflagratory moves can thaw, a la Todoroki from Hero Academia; though I hesitant to touch conflagratory again since it's working basically correctly). What I really wanted to do was have a hidden final skill that only appeared if you had both skills, that combined them in some kind of way, but I don't think that's possible

Anyway, thanks again! I'm glad somebody likes something I made :D

Kazeto and Bohandas like this.
  4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Any progress?

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Based on the fact that the forum records their last log-in at a few months ago, I am not hopeful about it. But maybe I'm wrong ...

6. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

No promises, but this randomly popped into my head and I started working on my putrefying class. Got the basics worked out, but doing the art is the longest part for me since I'm hardly an artist
    This alone took me like an hour lol
    [​IMG]

Got a security certificate expired notice from Firefox when trying to come back, looks like it expired a couple of days ago. I guess I'll post this to Steam if the forums go down, with a downloadable version on my mega.nz

7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

It would be nice to see another class in this. This is one of the best mods.

8. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

I've been playing Dredmor again, and one thing led to another. A lot of this was done a year ago, I just finished up the last few skills, did the art, and tested them out. My vision for the last skill originally was for it to be an AoE that triggers a damaging effect (Rotsplosion) on those inflicted with the main putrefying tree debuff (The Rot), takes The Rot off after the damage, then triggers a small 1 square AoE around anyone that took damage that casts Rotsplosion again, etc. etc. until it hits everyone that it can that has The Rot. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to make requirebuffontrigger to check for buffs on enemies, it only seems to check the player. Anywho, here's the putrefying tree:

[​IMG]

Vitally Challenged - :dmg_putrefying:Putrefying tree. Abilities scale with :stubborness: Stubbornness because you're just too stubborn to die.

[​IMG]
    Skill 1 - Expiration Date: Nothing special, just 1:dmg_putrefying: 1:resist_putrefying:

[​IMG]
    Skill 2 - Slightly Overripe: 1:dmg_putrefying: and a single-square (also corners) AoE that deals relatively little damage, but applies a debuff called The Rot. The debuff causes -1:resist_putrefying: on enemies, and inflicts damage every turn for 10 turns. 12 turn cooldown.

[​IMG]
    Skill 3 - Nibble: 1:resist_putrefying:, 22-turn cooldown drain that scales heavily with stubbornness, and only heals if it hits a demon, animal, vegetable, or undead. Also debuffs the target with The Rot.

[​IMG]
    Skill 4 - Rotten to the Core: 1:dmg_putrefying: 1:resist_putrefying:, chance on hit and being hit to inflict attackers or attacked with The Rot. Currently at 10% chance each, but if that's too high I will change it.

[​IMG]
    Skill 5 - ACHOO!!: 2:dmg_putrefying:, shortish-cooldown projectile attack that deals ok damage and causes The Rot.

[​IMG]
    Skill 6 - Patient Zero: 1:dmg_putrefying: 1:resist_putrefying:, semi-large AoE that causes 10 stacks of The Rot. That's right, it stacks.

That's it for putrefying. I have the feeling that this is going to be overpowered. I ran some numbers and it doesn't seem too bad, and I have a tendency to underpower stuff, so I hope it's more balanced than I think. I'll probably have to tone down the active abilities so that the debuff is the main source of damage.
    As usual, cooldowns, scaling, stack size, etc. will be subject to change

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Bohandas and Kazeto like this.
  9. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

So far the damage seems alright, at least on the lower levels. I picked only non-mod warrior skills and my stubbornness shouldn't get too high. I'm kind of counting on the player not getting ridiculous amounts of stubbornness, which shouldn't really be a problem since it's not that useful of a stat. I am thinking of making the dot irresistable though. The intention was to allow monsters to resist the individual hits, not the entire dot, and I think they can still do that with the resistable="0" tag in the dot

I also might make Nibble an adjacent type spell instead of a template. I wrote it as it is over a year ago and now I don't remember why. Being able to use it on empty space serves no purpose that I can see

Kazeto likes this.
  10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I'll try this out this weekend if I remember

Kazeto and Fateofman like this.
  11. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

Newest version uploaded, tweaked a bunch of things like damage and template->adjacent

Next I'm thinking of necromantic. My concept is for a highly offensive wizard skill, with the theme that some guy traded his soul for dark power, and now every spell he casts can only do necromantic damage. So I'll give it a fireball, lightning bolt, etc. but they're all necromantic damage. The goal is to have high mana cost, high damage, classic spells. I also want to try something I've been thinking for a while as a passive. I always thought it was kind of weird that no matter how much mana regen you stack, you can only get 1 mp back per turn. So I want to do a passive that gives mana per turn and scales off of mana regen. According to the old dredmor modding wiki, the <spellpoints> effect can use amountF, so secondaryScale="14" should do it. I'll try to make it so it has no effect unless you have enough :mana_regen: to get more than 1 :mana: per turn, but I haven't really planned it out that far yet

Update: Necromantic is almost done, just need to write up the last couple of skills. The capstone skill I haven't decided exactly what I want, but I have an idea
    Also, I kinda like how this icon came out
    [​IMG]

Update 2: Forgot that I needed to get the mana regen passive working, so I did that. Right now it should regenerate 0:mana: until you get 4:mana_regen:, then it'll regen 1:mana: per turn (plus the natural 1:mana: every 7-4=3 turns, on dwarven moderation), then it'll soft cap at 2:mana: (+1:mana: natural regen for a total of 3:mana: per turn) at 10:mana_regen:, unless you can somehow get to 17:mana_regen:. Getting 17:mana_regen: seems pretty tough; I had trouble getting to 14:mana_regen: on a pure wizard with really good gear and the Practised Thaumaturgy mod (+7 mana regen total from that tree). It's probably possible, but you'd have to be actively stacking :mana_regen:
    Trying my ass off to make this not overpowered lol
    I might make it so that you don't get any :mana: per turn until 5:mana_regen:, then it would stay at 1:mana: per turn (disregarding natural regen) until 13:mana_regen:, and it wouldn't change to 3:mana: until you get 21:mana_regen:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Kazeto likes this.
  12. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

I couldn't sleep until it was finished

[​IMG]
    Class - Dark Wizard: Necromantic class. Scales with magic power. The spells are powerful, but expensive

[​IMG]
    Skill 1 - No Backsies: 1:dmg_necromatic: 1:resist_nercomatic: standard

[​IMG]
    Skill 2 - Mage Armor?: 1:dmg_necromatic:, spell that debuffs :armor_asorb: and :magic_resist: of enemies. Values as of writing are -5:armor_asorb:, -15:magic_resist:

[​IMG]
    Skill 3 - Negative Energy Bolt: 1:resist_nercomatic: Line of damage

[​IMG]
    Skill 4 - Unlimited Power*: 1:dmg_necromatic: 1:resist_nercomatic:. Next time you cast on a valid target, you'll get a permanent buff that restores mana based on your mana regen stat. I'm still messing with this, but atm it give a flat 1:mana:/turn, which increases to 2:mana:/turn at 10:mana_regen: and 3:mana:/turn at 20:mana_regen: due to scaling. This is in addition to natural mana regeneration, so at 7:mana_regen: you will regenerate 2:mana:/turn

[​IMG]
    Skill 5 - Black Fireball: 2:dmg_necromatic:. "Fire"ball that damages the target it's thrown at, then explodes and damages a 9x9 area, causing a short-lived fear effect in survivors

[​IMG]
    Skill 6 - Finger of Death: 1:dmg_necromatic: 1:resist_nercomatic:, big hitter that has a small (5% as of writing) kill an unnamed monster outright. Named monsters still get hit by the normal amount of damage

This is my attempt at a big cost, big effect class. Found out that Dredmor doesn't ever round up, so I had to modify the mana passive. I'm gonna need to test this a lot, I just made sure everything was working and not crashing. I wanted to do removemonster with 5% chance for Finger of Death, but then it has a 1/20 chance of doing nothing to named monsters. I guess I could just make the death effect do the damage effect, too. I'll probably end up doing that

Update: Changed Finger of Death (see directly above), and I made Promised Power removable so that you can reapply it. The mana regen dot has the same problem with autosave as my conflagratory tree. Also I'm calling this version 1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Bohandas and Kazeto like this.
  13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The putrefying class seems good so far. I haven't tried the final level yet, nor gotten a chance yet to try the necromantic class. I'll probably try that one over the weekend

Fateofman likes this.
  14. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

I changed the Definitely Not Mage Armor debuff to from -5:armor_asorb: to -1:resist_blast::resist_crushing::resist_slashing:, and from -15:magic_resist: to -5:magic_resist:, but now it stacks up to 5 times. It was intended to make hitting things with your staff (or whatever) more effective, but absorption can't go into negative and it turns out monsters typically don't have a whole lot of armor. Now whatever mundane damage you do is +1, usually; for some reason, unarmed has inconsistent damage with the debuff. I saw an old post that talked about dual wielding different kinds of weapons randomizing the damage type you get from melee power, so maybe it's related to that

Edit: The debuff still feels underpowered for the cost, gonna try making it a dot so it stacks itself
    Edit 2: It definitely feels better with the self-stacking. Also, I fixed the mana regen buff so that it should (did in testing) survive auto-saves. Still can't survive loading from a save, though, so it's still removable for recasting
    Edit 3: I realized while in the middle of a zoo that I wrote the mana regen buff such that someone could just remove it and cast again to stack the dot and gain an arbitrary amount of mana each turn. I modified it so that the buff refreshes with the dot, and isn't removable. No more shenanigans, I hope. As a side effect, it now falls off on its own after loading and will come back on next cast, requiring less player attention. I don't like that it shows a constantly refreshing timer, but whattaya gonna do amirite

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Bohandas likes this.
  15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Ok I've tried every level of the putrefying class and they're all fun and all seem to work. I'm still working my way through the necromancy class, but it seems to work so far (with the exception noted above about the crazy timer. (Maybe add some kind of line in the description about it screwing with time in order to lampshade it?))

16. Fateofman

Fateofman Member

I knew that skill was going to be wonky, so I put that "*Limits may apply" thing. I'll add on to that, and I think I'll break immersion to explain that it will drop off after loading. On a positive note, the mana regen doesn't seem too bad. It took pretty significant effort to get my :mana_regen: up high enough that it regenerates a good amount, and it doesn't make encounters trivial or anything. The main effects seems to be less need for booze, and almost always having enough mana for my lower level spells (I'm using arcanist from lccorp2's Roguish Renovation)

I'm down to floor 6, and I think Dark Wizard might be underpowered. It might be because monsters are resisting more than I figured they would, and halving a high-cost/high-damage spell feels more significant than halving a smaller one. Finger of Death in particular is kind of outrageous, cost-wise. I think I'll lower it to 80 initial cost and 60 with Savvy reduction.

Actually, I just did the calculations and the first spell (Arcane Missile) from Arcanist does 42 damage at 50:magic_power: with the medium blast, for 5:mana:. Black Fireball does 60 damage to the main target, 35 damage to adjacents, for 35-50:mana: (plus a fear effect). I don't know how to feel about that. I mean, it's an AoE and has a fear component, and Arcane Missile has the randomness element, but for the same mana I could do ~300 damage. As is, it feels less like Black Fireball is a powerful attack tempered by a high mana cost, and more like a mob-scattering spell that you can use to pick off monsters as they run away. That's not bad per se, but not what I was going for. I may buff the damage a bit, probably by increasing the :magic_power: scaling to .4 or so. Then it would do 70 main target and 40 adjacent (at 50:magic_power:). I dunno, I'll try out some changes in my current run and see what I like

Edit: 0.5 scaling felt a tiny bit too powerful on floor 7, but only for the one actually hit by the fireball. Changing the single-target portion to .3 and the explosion to .6 gives 75 single target damage and 50 to surrounding monsters (at 50:magic_power:), which sounds better

Edit 2: Down to floor 8 and the new changes feel pretty good. I'm getting a few ideas for a Righteous class, like tithing gold for a heal/buff or praying for miracles (self-paralyze for a few turns for some effect)

Edit 3: Newest version uploaded, I like it as it is (for now). I'm gonna try to kill Dredmor, then I'll probably work on Righteous

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Bohandas likes this.
  17. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I'm trying out the new edit of the dark wizard class now