Skill ID Claiming Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I'm going to do this now. Not sure about save game compatibility, though.

2. Nicholas

EDIT: Okay, it's dead. Your new syntax is the following:

<skill name="Big Game Hunter" skillname="Big Game Hunter" type="warrior" achievement="ACHIEVEMENT_BIG_GAME_HUNTER_MASTERY" description="The hunt is on.">
    <art icon="skills/hunter64.png"/>
    </skill>

<ability name="Big Game Hunter" icon="skills/hunter64.png" skillname="Big Game Hunter" startSkill="1">
    <description text="The hunt is on."/>
    </ability>

This is probably not going to be backwards compatible with your previous save games. The old ID system still works too (we use it for our save games); please use the new version going forward.

A technical detail: we compute a hash for names and use it to index. If we have collisions, this may be a problem, but I'll sort that out later. It's a pretty strong hash. :D

Wi§p, Essence and Kazeto like this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Thank you, Sir Nicholas.

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

As long as you're "here", Nicholas,

Does the "achievement="XXXX"" line do anything for a mod skill?

Thanks!

5. Nicholas

No. The tags are set on Valve's database.

At some point, moddable achievements would be fun, but we can't make them talk to Steam.

6. Essence

Yeah, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on anything by continuing to ignore them. Thanks! :)

7. Altre

Altre Member

So... is the ID system no longer a part of Dredmor as of the recent update? I'd like to release some of my mods, but I may have to change them if the update needs me to.

8. Essence

Probably best to be patient and wait for 1.10 so that you only have to rewrite everything once. It should be long (TM) now. :)

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It will be in the next version, but it's recommended that you use the new system instead.
    So you can release it now normally and upload the version with changed ID after the update. It's not like we'll be expecting savegame compatibility between 1.0.9 Rev.B and 1.0.10 either way, considering all the changes.

10. Altre

Altre Member

I guess it's a good thing that I test my mods more than I keep saves, lol. Once I get the art right and balance them out better (I play with a tweaked tweakdb.xml to level a little faster), I'll probably post them.

11. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Necroing this because this deserves sticky. Even thou the skillid system got revamped.
    After 7 years, I discover something new.

Yes, I still miss this game...

Kazeto likes this.