Decompiling the game...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Zandorum, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Zandorum

Zandorum Member

Let's say I've decompiled the game and have unobsofucated source, as long as I don't distribute a non-compiled version would Gaslamp Games be ok with me released compiled versions with new XML commands for the modding community to use (I wont be releasing anything without Gaslamp giving me the go ahead). If not how about how Skyrim Script Extender works by having a new executable backdoor into the original executable and appending itself to the game before launching it?

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Uh, yeah, please don't. It's a huge pain in the ass for us, because now we don't know who is doing what or what is going on with users running modified code, and it's... well, a big mess, really. I don't even want to know what "unobfusucated source" looks like for Dredmor, given that it's a bloody mess in my version which is the original source.

And honestly, part of the fun of modding something like this is that you *can't* do everything with it. At the point at which you're using a toolkit that can do anything, it's just work.

3. Zandorum

Zandorum Member

Alrighty, I understand. I really wanted to make commands for making newpanels so I could actually turn the pocket dimension into a house with functional chests and a building system to expand it lol (akin to how Runescape does its housing system but just for how placement of things works) and maybe try my hand at some kind of multiplayer (since I cant redistribute that wont be even attempted lol). Oh well, If I do anything I'll keep it to myself then. Thank's for replying!

Edit: Since I have you, I do want to ask; do you guys have any intention on making any updates/new expansions to this game at any point in the future? I know that is been somewhat feature complete for awhile but that's specifically why I'm wondering this.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Kazeto likes this.
  4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I still think you should go for trying to decompile; it doesn't look like any bugfixes or anything are actually forthcoming (and if anyone knows anything to the contrary, please, correct me if I'm wrong)

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Please decompile the game, Nicholas has vanished