Modding help.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by identity, Jul 15, 2011.

1. identity

identity Member

I'm trying to figure out which values do what in the tweakDB.xml file.

-- treasure rolling --
    tweak name="treasure roll size" ival="700"/

tweak name="weapon roll min" ival="400"/
    tweak name="weapon roll max" ival="900"/

For instance, under weapon roll min/max, what do the values mean exactly?

2. xrogaan

xrogaan Member

I think the modding engine is yet to come. I believe they want to patch the vanilla files with your modifications, so you won't corrupt the game files.

Alors, if you brought it through steam, your modifications will be discarded at the next update.

3. identity

identity Member

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm backing up/saving all mods and what not.
    Modding support is already there, you just have to find the files, which are here for me.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\game

Okay, I actually just took one more look at the values, and I think I've at least figured this part out.

The treasure roll size is the max different integers the engine goes through to determine what loot you get if you come across treasure.

So theoretically if I changed "weapon roll min" to, say, 698 and the "weapon roll max" to 699, then I would think I'd get a weapon out of every chest/monster drop, yes?

I also can't seem to find direct experience rolls. Say, how much experience you get based off of a monster kill. I can find lockpick exp, statue of dredmor exp and things like that, but I can't find monster exp. Hrm.

4. Serith

Serith Member

@identity
    Each monster has an exp value assigned to it in the monDB it appears.
    I.E. for the basic Blobby you've got this;
    " stats numFig="2" xpValue="5" "

5. identity

identity Member

Ah, okay. Thank you for the help. Glad to know I'm not the only one messing around with this.

6. Serith

Serith Member

No problem identity. I was combing through the files anyways. Have you seen the "hidden" skills already?

7. Embolus

Embolus Member

I've seen a few hidden goodies that were probably scrapped in development or reserved till later. (WTB Hydro/Aquamancy)

Also loving all the little comments the Devs apparently left for inquisitive modders.

8. identity

identity Member

Yeah, they definitely want their game to be modded. I actually haven't seen the hidden skills yet though, :p Going to look now.

9. Profanity

Profanity Member

At the end of "skillDB.xml" there's these lines:

the hidden skills
    are very well hidden, evidently.

10. Paidprinny

Paidprinny Member

I think I might understand the treasure rolling bit, it seems a lot like a D&D randomized loot table. I'm curious to find out when the system generates the numbers, though.

Anyway, at some point in time an roll is used to choose a number between 0 and 700. see: tweak name="treasure roll size" ival="700"".

Depending on which number loads, the treasure will be of that type. Using the unmodded table, let's say the number is 253. An armour should be loaded in the treasure chest. 572 would load a Mushroom.

Unless I'm wrong, in a horrible horrible manner.

11. waitwhat

waitwhat Member

Have any of you figured out how to edit character skills so you can swap them... You know, character editing. I dont want to give myself 10000hp, just want to respec/swap a skill.

12. Serith

Serith Member

@waitwhat
    I haven't, but I really haven't thought of trying that.

Edit: Oh gods. I just looked into the saves. No way will I ever be able to do that.

13. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Serith, saves don't look thaaaaat complicated - they're gigantor because they have to store the entire state of the dungeon at the time you save (including blood splatters and gargoyles and every artifact you've ever seen). A bit of differential examination by starting characters and comparing their saves should isolate the parts of the save file that refer to the character and the parts that refer to the dungeon, and from there it should be possible to mess around with things.

14. Embolus

Embolus Member

I may be an utter noob, but... how are you looking into the save files?

15. zshikara

zshikara Member

notepad for one can read code. but if you want something more advanced just google search how to do it ^_^.

16. Embolus

Embolus Member

Oh... how stupid of me. Didn't even think of trying that lol...

17. shaf

shaf Member

For reading XML Files I recommend Notepad++ over Notepad.

18. geddoe

geddoe Member

<3 Notepad++ :)

19. Snicker

Snicker Member

Internet Explorer - can't edit there, but makes it easy to read if that's all you plan to do.
    For you active modders, does anyone know what the "F" type damage values are for? For example, the Fireball Effect spell does ( conflagratory="5" blasting="2" conflagratoryF="0.55" blastingF="0.35" )

20. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Save files are binary, so you'll need <a href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10426/what-is-a-good-windows-hex-editor-viewer">a hex editor</a> to look through them easily. Personally I use gvim with :!%xxd but that's not for everyone.