Steam Identities & Sign in with Steam

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by deek, Sep 15, 2011.

1. deek

deek Controller of Bits Staff Member

Over the last couple days I have silently installed a few plugins to link our new community with Steam. The first is the ability to associate your Steam Identity similar to what is available for Facebook, Twitter, AIM, etc.

To access this go to: Profile -> Contact Details-> Identities and check Steam then click the +. Enter any of the three types of Steam Identifiers (ID, Community ID, or full URL).

In addition to this I've implemented a Sign in with Steam. If you are new to our forms and want to import your avatar, identity, and username from Steam with no hassle this is the way to go. If you already have an account on our forums you can still use this method to link your Steam account (avatar & identity) to the profile.

If you have any questions or errors come up please feel free to post below.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Neat. Worked flawlessly for me. (Used the associate existing account with steam thing)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. ScrObot

ScrObot Member

I registered via Steam easily. However, it doesn't seem to keep me logged in between browser sessions. This may be by design, or an issue with Opera, but I figured I'd mention it. (=

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. saturnine

saturnine Member

Thanks for this. Worked flawlessly, and really convenient too.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Took me a couple tries to get it to acknowledge my ID.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. deek

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Thanks!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

It's a nice functionality, but "sign in with X" features give me the goddamn creeps.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Wouldn't you rather have the goddamn Batmobile?
    [​IMG]

OmniaNigrum and TheJadedMieu like this.
  11. Despayre

Despayre Member

Just brought my old account over with the plugin, was nice and easy!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Internets

Internets Member

Is there any possibility of changing our names if we used our steam signup? It made my name Internets, well.. on the last forum I was Luitjens, just trying to stick to a convention here. Thanks lol

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. deek

If you were Luitjens on the old forum (Vanilla) your user was imported over and instead of creating an account with Sign in with Steam you should have linked it to that account that was already created.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

OH NOES IT'S ZE INTERNETS!! SKYNET IS HERE!!!11!!!!!1one

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Internets

Internets Member

Except Luitjens does not exist anymore on these new forums., if I recall I had to email you about an issue regarding the old software with my two other forums names Luitjens/Luitjens2 lol.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Wootah

Wootah Member

Steam Sign-up kept giving me an error. The error occurs AFTER I had logged in through the official 'log in with steam page' and back on these forums where it asked for my birthdate and my gender.

The local sign-up worked fine for me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Whoa, creepy, I was about to set mine and the numbers were already there :eek:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard Member

Excuse me for being a bit daft here, but I can't figure out how to link my forum account with my Steam account, so as to import my avatar and everything.

I've put in the URL to my Steam community page (http://steamcommunity.com/id/skafsgaard), but nothing came out of it. I figure I need to take another step to make the actual link, but I can't figure out where or how.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Appreciate it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. deek

It looks like it may not be you but in fact that the plugin changed a bit with our upgrade to XenForo 1.1. I'm going to go ahead and upgrade the plugin to see if that fixes it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. deek

Looks like the plug-in is broken for the moment. I'm sadly going to disable it until I'm sure it is working 100%. Sorry for the hassle.

OmniaNigrum likes this.